Deluxe Reverb Cabinet build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by jsnwhite619, Aug 7, 2019.

1. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I've done a couple Blackface restorations, and the Tweed Princeton Reverb earlier this year, but not a complete & proper Blackface cabinet build.

This was for a DR reissue. I went one inch taller and 1/2" deeper for a full 10" at the bottom. I found some great 30oz weight tolex that had a good backing layer on it. I bought a 2ft piece of PVC pipe and soaked the grill in strong tea for a few hours and it worked better than I expected to age it. 3/8" Baltic birch baffle, stock Jensen C12K in it which is a much darker speaker than I expected. The extra inch high and half inch deeper still came out 1-2lbs lighter in pine than the stock cabinet.

Next time, I'm going to run the baffle cleats through the drill press BEFORE I glue them in!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

RodeoTex, Wally, Blue Bill and 12 others like this.
  2. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Meister

Looks fantastic - good job! It's amazing how the extra 1" height changes the visual proportions of the cabinet compared to the stock proportion of a DR.

3. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Jason, you sure build a nice cabinet! Love the details, thanks.

4. jsnwhite619

Thanks! Yeah, I took it to my buddy's house today for him to check it out and he said the same thing -- "I thought you had a Twin for a second!" Would have to A/B it to pick out any differences, but it sounds great to me! I don't know Deluxe Reverbs, but John sure does and he said he thought it may have tamed the treble a little bit. Playing single coils, we still had the treble on 6-7 at times and was comfortable.

Thanks, I was trying to throw all the info I could think of in there, but anyone feel free to ask questions if I skipped something important.

5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

OK, I give up. What was the PVC pipe used for? Or did you just include commentary of the day, like "restored amp, ate ham sandwich, ..." :lol:

Very nice job, of course. Not surprised.

6. jsnwhite619

Ha. I rolled up the grill and stuck it in 3" pvc pipe with end caps. Filled it with strong tea and soaked it. Seemed more efficient than a bathtub.

RodeoTex and Wally like this.
  7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, that makes sense! :)

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  8. jsnwhite619

Another tip I will pass along -- HVAC foil tape for shielding. As long as you run a bit of overlap across each layer, the continuity always checks out. I don't have the pictures, but I run it in the back of my tweed panels, the top of the blackface, and on the inside of the top blackface panel just to protect the tolex from the tube heat. A $5-6 roll lasts forever and works great. But, word of warning -- it is THE stickiest tape you've ever encountered. Practice with it or you can quickly make a mess.

I helped out a buddy with his HVAC business last year and saw him using it. Got a roll for myself and it works great and is too cheap not to use.

9. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Another awesome build, my friend! Looks great!

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  10. jsnwhite619

Tech question about bias on this thing. This is the first Deluxe Reverb I've ever even played before, so I'm completely ignorant on it inside.

The guy bought it used and didn't know until I asked him that the PT has been replaced. I forgot to take a picture but it's a "direct replacement" PT from Tubesandmore (or wherever) for vintage DR's. Whoever did it drilled new holes to make it fit, but it's still a Deluxe PT. Here it is. https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/transformer-fender-replacement-power-330-0-330-v-120-ma

Anyway, I wanted to check the bias for him, it has a bias pot. He has a Ruby rectifier & EH 6v6s. First check for where it was set had approx. 22mA & 414v at the plate. Rob's calculator came out to 76%. To get it down to 68% has it at 422v plate voltage & approx. 18-19mA.

What numbers should I shoot for with this?

11. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

put it where it sounds good! I usually end up around 60% after setting and then checking. Always between 55-65 for me on ab763 style circuit.

King Fan likes this.
  12. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe TDPRI Member

Hey Jason, good to see you still bangin’ out those cabs.
    I’ve never biased a DR but I’d have to echo what D’tar posted. What sounds right, as long as it’s not red plating.
    I’ve found the modern Fender amps to be all over the place the way people get into tube rolling with no regard to what’s taking place inside.

Be on the lookout for a PM from me in the future. I’m in the planning phase of a PR build and I’m gonna need one of your cabs.

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  13. jsnwhite619

Hey stranger! It's been a while!

He wanted max clean anyway, so I brought it down to around 68%. He only plays it at 4-5, and I honestly couldn't tell much difference at that level between hot & cold, so I brought it down below 70% and left it there.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.