Deluxe Reverb Amp With Weber Speaker: Review

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Buckaroo, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

Last summer I posted a thread about the Celestion Ruby in the Fender Deluxe Reverb amplifier. For those interested here is that thread:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/64-deluxe-reverb-speaker-upgrade-with-the-celestion-ruby.961832/

This week, after great enjoyment of the Ruby in that amp for 5 months, I installed a new Weber 12F125A. For the uninitiated that is a 12" ceramic magnet speaker with a 1 and 1/4 inch voice coil. The "A" designates a particular cone anatomy that was produced by Jensen (according to the Weber site) during the original Jensen company's Chicago manufacturing years. A bit of research suggests that the cone anatomy in Jensen's heyday evolved and included straight cones (no ribs /no seam), ribbed cones and inverted ribbed cones. Furthermore the cone seam could be absent, straight or curved. So there were a lot of variables beyond simply alnico and ceramic magnet choices. My knowledge of these traits is not great.

This particular Weber was chosen after several email exchanges with the Weber staff (CJ). My choice was an attempt to capture much of the magic of a 1960's Jensen C12Q, the gold label Jensen that would have "sometimes" come in a mid 1960's blackface Deluxe Reverb Amp. Many often refer to the C12N Jensen in this amp but my research led me to conclude that from the factory, if a DR had a Jensen, it would most likely have been the C12Q.

This Weber speaker really makes the amp sing and captures a lot of the tonality that I recall the original Jensen offered. A different tone than the more common Oxford speaker we most often see in that amp. Stay tuned and I will update this thread a bit more as the speaker breaks in.

Buck

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a big fan of Jensen and Jensen-style speakers. I even use them in two of my Vox amps.

Lord_Ingipz likes this.
  3. JRShotgun

JRShotgun TDPRI Member

I think you'll like that Weber more and more each day. I live near Kokomo and have been to their shop several times. They are great people to work with.
    The Weber speakers are made to very tight specs. and take a long time to break in but are worth the wait. I have the 12F150 with light doping in my 1964 Deluxe Reverb. It sounded pretty harsh when I first installed it. After it broke in it just blossomed. I can't say enough about their speakers.
    Good Luck with it!
    jerry

Weber Speakers likes this.
  4. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Cool, let us know. Talking to the guys at Weber is a great idea, and their Jensen-style line-up, with all the cone, magnet, and dope variants, is definitely one of the best-loved -- and most complete -- out there.

For others considering Weber, don't forget you can request a factory break-in for free. Takes an extra day or so, but really speeds up the overall break-in period at home.

5. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

My lead player's main gigging amp is a 65 DRRI. In it he installed a Weber 12F150 light dope bout two years ago. Being the Tele freak he is, he is in a constant search for "his" Tele tone- bright with chime and sparkle but smooth and non-ice picky, and above all, clean. The Weber delivers his tone in spades- great sounds! My 71 DR and his DRRI have both been outfitted with 6L6s and SS rectifiers. This tightens up the low end ant increases the clean headroom. I outfitted my DR with a 2x10 baffle to accommodate two JBL D110Fs I had. I love the punch of the JBLs, but if I ever went back to a 1x12 configuration, I think it would be with the same Weber as his because of the tones I'm hearing from my lead player's Weber equipped DRRI. No pics of his, but here's couple of mine: _526.JPG _527.JPG

Crobbins likes this.
  6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I no longer have the amp (needed to sell, $$ issues) but I had a wonderful '68 DR, whose original Oxford was replaced by me by with a Weber C-12N ( early Weber, they used same nomenclature as Jensen, for that line)
    It was a heck of a speaker- and I ran the DR big and clean, using a Barber Direct Drive as an OD.

A few years later the amp either got retubed or repaired, and for some reason I thought the amp actually lost some presence or dimension ( which may have been in my head but I do follow my ears)
    So I actually replaced the Weber ( would sell it) with an Eminence Red, White, and Blues ( which had 125 watt rating) and then that speaker seemed to wake up the amp all over again- go figure!!

7. RWB

RWB TDPRI Member

I replaced the original Oxford in my 1965 Deluxe Reverb with a Weber 12A150 several years ago and it sounded great. Then I came across a 1963 Jensen C12N and put that in. Pretty good, but I'll change back to the Weber one of these days.

8. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

I agree that a JBL is the perfect speaker for a DR.
    I have a 65 (not reissue) that I used for many years with an orange frame D120 and it is perfect.
    The weight has gotten to me as I do in-city gigs where I have to carry the amp a distance, and I have gone to an Eminence Lil Texas, a neo speaker.
    It works well, sounds good, especially when pushed, but that JBL.....~sigh~.

39martind18 likes this.
  9. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

That's why they make folding hand trucks. I have one that I put both my PA (Bose L1 Compact) and the DR stacked on it. Makes moving both those JBLs a LOT easier.

10. Teleguy61

I have one and I use it, and they are very helpful.
    It was partly the weight, getting it in and out of the car, and I don't really need the volume of the JBL any more.
    I used it for years with the D120, and it was known locally as the Twin Killer.
    5881s in the output, solid state rectifier plugin, and it would blow those guys off the stage.
    Great amp.
    My girlfriend at the time bought it for me in 1982 for $100, because I didn't have $100.
    I married her, and thankfully still have both.

Ricky D. likes this.
  11. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

You, sir, are a LUCKY man!

Teleguy61 likes this.
  12. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

I fully understand the into and out of the car weight issues. My DR, with two 10 in JBLs, weighs in at about 53 lb. The volume this amp is capable of is far more than I will ever need, but the tone is killer, so I put up with the weight. I also have a 1968 Twin Reverb, loaded with Jensen Stealth neos. It weighs in at a svelte 62 lb, so not a lot difference between the two. That JBL sound though...

Teleguy61 likes this.
  13. ripgtr

ripgtr Tele-Holic

I have a 12A150 (it may have the old numbering, I have one of each, not sure which one is in there now) in my '76 DR. I've had it probably 15 years, maybe more. I've tried other speakers, including the 12F150 and all sounded really good, but I keep going back to this one. Great speaker in that amp.

14. Teleguy61

That is the truth, oh yes.
    Back in the day, I played a 64 TR with two gray frame JBL D120s. It was almost 100 lbs, load, unload, load, unload--but the sound, oh my!
    This is me on my old Strat, DynaComp and volume pedal into the Twin.
    It works.

15. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

Which speakers do you use for the Vox? Have an ac30 and it had the original speakers removed for emimence legends.

16. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

Nice sound, Teleguy61! Just saw a 1970 SFTR on the Austin CL for 800- had the original gray frame D120s, according to the posting. Got me GASsing something fierce, but there ain't no way. Guess I'll just have to be happy with my 2X10 JBL DR.

Teleguy61 likes this.
  17. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

Last night I played the Weber speaker equipped DR on a gig. A piano / guitar duo playing instrumental improvisations of 70's pop hits.

The Weber 12F125A (30W version) is certainly a louder speaker than the original 1960's Jensen C12Q. It has a larger magnet than the original but the same diameter voice coil. So it is kind of "in between" an original Jensen C12Q and a C12N from a magnet size perspective; while retaining the original voice coil diameter of the C12Q. Weber (CJ) also conveyed that the 30W rating is achieved by making the voice coil "slightly" longer.

In effect, the new Weber speaker seems to be a fortified version of the original, the tweaks allow a bit more volume and headroom in my estimate. To my ear, it captures much of the magic of the original Jensen tone. While I did not play it loud enough to cause the speaker to breakup, the clean tone was as classic a Fender/ Jensen tone as I could hope for. It seemed to have more dynamics than the prior Celestion Alnico Ruby (which sounded great...but not a classic Jensen sound). This speaker also weighs less than the Ruby, but weighs a bit more than the original Jensen. The Weber does not have any harshness when played clean even though it has not really broken in yet. It has about six hours of play time on it.

I think this Weber model offers a close approximation of the original Jensen sound while providing a bit more durability. For me, this is a very effective solution for a "replacement" Jensen in a DR. I plan to leave it in for at least 6 months to break in more...but I can envision that it might stay in much longer. Prior speakers in this amp have been many. And few have sounded bad, but this really gets that Fender/ Jensen ceramic vibe going. That is very hard to ignore.

Note: I should clarify that the original Jensen C12Q I am comparing the Weber speaker to is from the mid 60's and is in a drip edge Deluxe reverb that is all stock except for the vintage (and original coned) Jensen. IMO, the new reissue italian Jensen departs quite a bit from the original Jensen's sound. While the reissue doesn't sound bad on first listen, a comparison with the original reveals that the italian model lacks some clarity; the notes seem a bit more blurred and less distinct to my ear. While the loudness of the italian Jensen seems about the same as the original chicago made Jensen, the tone is missing something. The Weber provides a very generous portion of the original Jensen's sonics...and is just a bit louder without getting too physically heavy.

Buck

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Weber Speakers and Teleguy61 like this.
  18. Teleguy61

Thanks man.
    JBLs bring out the glisten in a Fender amp, especially a 60s or early 70s one.
    Nothing like it.

19. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Everyone tells me the Eminence Alasandro is the speaker to get.

gridlock likes this.
  20. buddyboy

buddyboy Tele-Meister

I did not like mine in a DR. Sold it and went with a WGS 12C with a ribbed cone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.