Deluxe Reverb 2x10 Any experience?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Big Twang Theory, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Big Twang Theory

Big Twang Theory Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Hello all! I'm thinking of converting my 65' DRRI into a 2x10 amp. I mostly play my Princeton Reverb with a "12 at gigs, so I haven't really used my DRRI much. So I thought I'd try something new with it. Idea is to get a 2x10 baffle from Mojotone and a couple of 10" speakers from Weber. I have Eminence speakers currently in most of my amps and I really like them. Unfortunately Eminence doesn't really have much available as 16ohm versions and they are not currently doing any custom work. So I was thinking Weber might be the ticket. They seem to get a lot of love here.

So a couple of questions. First anyone have any experience with a 2x10 Deluxe? And secondly, what would be a good set of 10s to try? I usually go for the CLEAN and efficient variety. All my dirt (definitely low gain) I get from pedals.

Thanks!

black_doug, Jakedog and nojazzhere like this.
  2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have used a DR with 2 x 10. Did it that way for a couple of years. Mine was a vintage BF amp. I'm the guy who has tried damn near everything with the DR. 4 x 10, 1 x 15, 12+10, 2 x 10 and many many brands of speakers. :rolleyes::lol:

I had a Weber 10F150 and 10F150T, both 50 watt, no dope. It was great sound. These were old Weber speakers I had used in many ways, probably 2004 ish.
    The good:
    -These were a couple of my favorite speakers (this particular pair, not just the brand and model) They sounded luscious.
    -They make the amp louder, so did a single 12F150 though.
    The bad:
    -Suddenly this DR was a heavy amp. a 10" 10F150 isn't much different weight from the 12F150 (Weber builds it the same magnet , voice coil etc just a bit less sheet metal in the frame.) Probably weighing somewhere between a Pro Reverb and a Vibrolux reverb.
    -The amp was loud, very loud for a DR. Back then we played louder. Today it would be difficult.
    -I'm not sure the 12F125 is any lighter (?) And those are often stronger on the treble than the F150 anyway.

I'd want to try a pair of Emi GA SC64-10's. But not sure they come in 16 ohm. Lighter weight, and have that vintage sound.
    You could upgrade your output tranny to a multi tap one that does both 8 or 4 ohm. Now you have lots of options.

But to tell the truth, I ended up liking a single 12" better. The GA SC12 is a killer speaker in a DR.

My second favorite with my vintage DR was a big EV15B speaker. (Maybe my first but awfully heavy!) I had a cab made to do that.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    Big Twang Theory likes this.
  3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Weber 10A125 will get you there if you want alnico mags. 10F125 is the more aggressive, ceramic version.

There are about a dozen, other variations of each of those speakers. E-mail CJ Sutton cj@tedweber.com and tell him what you want to do, the music you play, the guitar(s) you use, and what your tone goal is. He knows the product line like they're his children and will make recommendations.

4. schmee

It sounds like you are just having fun experimenting, but if you are trying to get a "different sound" tell us what you want... or dont like now for speaker recommendations.

For the price of two Weber Alnicos you can get a new output tranny and two 10" x 8 ohm speakers (depending) . So think that through.

5. Big Twang Theory

Thanks for the reply, lots of good info! I'll check out the webers you mentioned. I'm not concerned about the weight. Like I said, I don't use the amp much for gigs. Just the occasional one in a bigger venue than our usual bar gigs.

Definitely with you on the Allesandro speaker! The 12" is what I have in the Princeton...LOVE IT!

6. Big Twang Theory

Yes, definitely just messing around and trying something new. I don't want to drastically alter the sound, just want to see what flavor the different speaker size gets me.

I go for classic fender clean sounds. I play americana/country/jazz. I like both the Eminence Allesandro and Private Jack. The PJ is British voiced, but sounds great in the blackface. Tried it after reading that's what Guthrie Trapp was using.

7. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

There was a NAD thread last week that talked about a Boogie 10” extension cab. The price is $379. I’d go that route. The EXT jack on the back panel of the DRRI is just that, a jack for an 8 ohm extension cabinet. This way you can place speakers side by side or angle them a bit as needed and you won’t have a heavy weight amp to lug around with you.

8. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

I bought my 70 DR with the express idea of converting it to 2x10. I had a pair of JBL D110Fs I wanted to install, and took it a step further by installing 6L6s and a solid state rectifier. The sonic difference was somewhat significant: more bottom that is focused and tighter than a 1x12. The sound also seems to have more spread and bloom, probably because of having two speakers vs one. Both JBLs were 8 ohm and present a 4 ohm load, but common knowledge seems to say that Fender output transformers can accommodate a 50% variance from nominal impedance. IME, this seems to hold true. 20190103_223839.jpg 20190104_001049_001.jpg

9. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

Why not buy a 2x10 cab with a convertible back so you can either run the 1x12, 2x10, or both? The sound of my Princeton Reverb through my 2x10 Tremolux cab (Weber 10A125s) sounds great.

10. Big Twang Theory

I have thought about doing this. For a while I pondered converting it to a head, and using different cabs. But I've just never liked using cabs. They're easier and I have no rational reason for not liking them, but I've always just preferred combos.

nedorama likes this.
  11. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Can you wire two 8 ohm speakers in series for a 16 ohm load?

If so, then two Eminence's 1058's is a good choice. Beautifully clear, balanced speaker for Fender cleans.

12. R.S.Fraser Sr.

R.S.Fraser Sr. Tele-Meister

I re-cabbed a '64 original, and went for clean, too.

I put two Pyle Industries Pyle Drivers in.
    Much much more room before break up.

The parallel impedance has not been an issue over a decade.
    Nothing has burst into flame.

yet

39martind18 and Big Twang Theory like this.
  13. Big Twang Theory

So I ordered the 2x10 baffle from mojotone. Now just looking at which Weber speakers to get.

14. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

No variance here

When you switched to 6L6; your OPT wants to see around 4 Ohms....

Classic case of "things taking care of themselves"

15. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Thanks! Nice to know.

16. schmee

Conversion to 6L6's creates a 4 ohm output from the OT so you are matched.

ooops, I see that was already said...

Big Twang Theory and 39martind18 like this.
  17. schmee

get a couple 16 ohm 10F150's or make one of them a 10F150T , It'll be a heavy amp though and loud. But superb sounding.
    Otherwise live with the mismatch and get two GA SC64-10's at 8 ohms! (I'd do this)

18. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a 2x10 Deluxe Reverb, with 4-Ohm output transformer. For speakers, I currently have a GA10-SC64 + Fender/Eminence V1030. Tomorrow I plan to install a Fat Jimmy C1025 + Jupiter 10SC. Either way a great-sounding amp. Definitely worth a try, I'd say. And with these speakers, the amp doesn't feel like it needs to go on a diet.

19. Big Twang Theory

So I just ordered 2 10F150T's. The bright cap is clipped, so I like bright speakers. They seem to get lots of positive reviews around here.

zook likes this.
  20. schmee

Cool... what wattage? The 50 watters, light dope or no dope sound best to me. I've had a ton of them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.