Deluxe Nashville Tele, basically a hard tail Strat?

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
Not really. Because of the Tele bridge and bridge pickup it still sounds like a Tele with the middle pickup and middle/bridge option. I rewired mine with a super switch to get bridge/neck in position 4.

brenn

Tele-Afflicted
Not really. Because of the Tele bridge and bridge pickup it still sounds like a Tele with the middle pickup and middle/bridge option. I rewired mine with a super switch to get bridge/neck in position 4.
I have had one or two of the Nashville Teles over the years. That's exactly what I would say about them. A hardtail strat still sounds like a strat, A Nashville Tele still sounds like a tele.

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Avatar guitar is wired as a strat in the familiar five positions - find yourself pickups you like and make the Nashville inspired partscaster of your dreams.
My only regret (ragert?) is weight - blindfolded, you might think you were wearing a double neck.

Go for it - and don't forget pics.
Peace - Deeve

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
Recently have had the itch for one of these and am thinking of doing a partscaster. Looking at specs and parts, ..., Hey with switching this isn't too much different than a hard tail Strat.
Just curious. Do you already happen to own a Strat?

If so, my opinion Strats do Strats best and Teles do Teles best.

I've bought two Nashville Telecasters. A MIM Deluxe and an American Deluxe. In both cases I was really into the necks as both those models had different necks than traditional Teles. As much I wanted to like the Nashville set up I didn't. I want my Strats for Strat stuff and my Teles for Tele stuff. Neither Nashville's excelled at anything IMO and I ended up removing the middle pickup in both of them.

On the other hand you can give it a shot & see if you like it. Worst case scenario you can take out the middle pickup in the future.

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Basically, very generally-- yes.

Bridge pup placement are diff, but they're more similar than dissimilar.

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
The "Nashville" will still sound like a Tele with the 2nd and 4th position "Stratish" sounds.

Lowell George had a Tele pickup in the bridge position on his Strat. I never thought he ever sounded like he was playing a Tele. Of course, we don't know if there were songs he played strictly on the Tele pickup.

Most all opinions, at least so far. Conclude that a Strat with a Tele bridge pickup won't quite have the traditional "Tele" sound.

Will you be doing a true Nashville? Stock Tele with an added middle Strat.

I have one true Nashville and one with two Strats and Tele bridge.

Both have a push/pull to engage the neck/bridge Tele configuration.

NHFlyCaster

TDPRI Member
Good posts, Thank You for replying!

Yep, I have 2 Strats, and a HH Tele that now has coil split pickup switching.

The idea would be adding a middle pickup and switching to a regular SS setup Classic Vibe or Affinity after upgrading pickups.

adjason

Poster Extraordinaire
I've got a home made one with fender 64 reissue tele pickups and a 69 fender reissue strat middle pickup. It sounds like a strat in those in between positions 2 and 4 and of course it sounds like a strat with the middle pickup but the bridge pickup is all tele and the tele neck pickup I usually like more than a strat neck pickup (I know this is a bit rare). What I most like about it is that if I take it to jam with folks it covers just about everything I want a guitar to do with one guitar. I find the middle and bridge strat sound to be about perfect for rhythm guitar playing and the nashville tele does this pretty well. yes I miss the middle regular tele sound but I find it more useful to have a stratish sounding middle and bridge sound. The one negative for me is that my hand tends to hit the middle pickup on the tele and I do not have this problem on a strat

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
I built a partscaster hardtail strat 10 yrs ago , for that very reason , you know , hoping for a strat/ tele. Its super twangy , but of course the tele bridge pickup that it’s missing is a whole other animal than what I have in here . Still twangy as all get out. Good for country

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
It's the bridge. If you build one with a hardtail strat style bridge it will sound more like a strat. The pickups matter but the real difference is in the bridge. Hardtail strat bridges will sound different due to the saddles and difference in metal and so fourth, And that will make the neck pickuo sound different even if you put a strat p/u in the neck. But even more then that it's the fact that the bridge pickup is mounted n the metal bridge. Thats 90% of the difference between strats and teles. If you want a telke that sounds like a HT strat just use a strat style HT bridge and strat pickups.

NHFlyCaster

TDPRI Member
My plan is a Harley Benton TE style guitar will form the basis of the project with the new middle pickup on a kill switch added to the regular switching.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Recently have had the itch for one of these and am thinking of doing a partscaster. Looking at specs and parts, ..., Hey with switching this isn't too much different than a hard tail Strat.

I too have had the itch, you have increased its severity ten fold. Thanks!

tele12

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't consider to be even remotely close to a hardtail strat.
Contoured body....no.
Angled switch easy to throw while strumming.....no.
Two tone controls.....no.
Similar pickups in all three positions....no.

All the Nashville shares with a Strat is a middle pickup.

Mike M

Tele-Afflicted
When my 92 Tele had to have the neck replaced (truss Rod would not turn anymore), I kind of tried to make it a guitar of all worlds.

Put a SD Mini in the Neck, Area 58 Strat in the middle, and a push/pull on the tone control to get all 7 configurations

IMG_3641.jpg

IMG_3642.jpg

Mike H.

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Fender Japan made a Fotoflame Deluxe Telecaster that had 3 strat pickups and 5-way switching back in the 90's.
That's the closest that a Tele has come to sounding like a Strat IMO.
BTW - I own two of them and they are excellent guitars.
90sTeleDeluxe.jpg

LOSTVENTURE

Friend of Leo's
My Nashville is from around 2017, one of the first versions to include noiseless pickups. For me, tonally, those pickups are the big difference between the Nashville and the Strat.

Geo

Poster Extraordinaire
Have both close in age, 2005, and basically are close yes but neck and bridge pickups on the Nashville being different
so those combinations not quite. Closet are the middle pickups. Nashville has Tex/Mex pickups, Robert Cray hard tail has
the MIM Cray Fender design pickups.