Deluxe Micro build/first amp build

Kev-wilson

Tele-Meister
Can you see my mistake in the last photo? As in I've put the template on upside down so drilled everything the wrong way round.

I was just eating my tea and admiring it when I realised.

Ball hooks.

robrob

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
If you need to reverse a layout like Kev did here to build a head cab or go from my Fender style layouts to a Marshall style, you can use DIY Layout Creator to create a .jpg of the layout then use irfanview (freeware) or other graphics program to create a mirror image. In irfanview you hit the "H" key to "horizontally mirror." Of course things like the pot and jack terminals and the tube sockets will now be backwards so you'll have to remember to wire them correctly but most of the layout will be correct.

Last edited:

Kev-wilson

Tele-Meister
I've never used graphic design software but inspired by the Uncle Doug video I want to make a 'pretty' front for the amp, (the quest is for a nice valve amp for home use and to match the flooring and decor I did during the recent 'thing' and accepting that a Champion 600 is too loud for home use so the 15w Night train clone I made a head unit for is far too loud) and in my excitement having created something resembling dials cracked on printing the template and drilling it without noticing I was upside down forgetting I'd already fitted the power inlet plug, 'twas a long day and I rushed on to get finished, but a lesson learned I guess. (and if the rear cut out wasn't clue enough then the 'bright' switch is also above the centre line when it wants to be below)

I've had to 'suck it in sweet cheeks' and order a replacement chassis from Mouser, that's currently showing as a 'credit review' which is odd as paypal sent me a receipt.

Bright side? I can mess with the graphics a little more and I'm ready to practice some soldering.

And cheers for that mirror view tip, this wrong way round chassis can wait with the other piece of board for a second amp in the future :)

Last edited:

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Hang in. Illustrator is hard stuff; both upside down *and* inside vs. outside are confusing; dang metalwork doesn’t have an Undo button. I drew and redrew my chassis drilling plan, but still ended up with a few too many holes and a few fasteners that almost overlap. You’ll get there.

Kev-wilson

Tele-Meister
I had an email yesterday letting me know my pt has been wound and is finished and my chassis has left Memphis and I have a set of Dakaware Davies 1510 knobs on order as my chicken head ones are too big.

I'm still annoyed with myself for making the drilling mistake as it was easily avoidable and I'm supposed to be a metalworker, though I've not been down this rabbit hole before :p

A speaker question, would a 10" Celestion Greenback work ok with an American 'voiced' amp?

Kev-wilson

Tele-Meister
9B9E3DFA-BDAA-49A0-BCAD-E44A0FE34649.jpeg

The new chassis arrived today so I’ve soldered the board 😇 and although not the neatest I’ve continuity from component legs to wire ends, the B+ is underneath.
I best drill the chassis the right way up this time 😩
image.jpg
32A32CA2-2E71-49CF-9CAC-C4B461298E48.jpeg

Last edited:

Len058

Tele-Meister
I'm still annoyed with myself for making the drilling mistake as it was easily avoidable and I'm supposed to be a metalworker, though I've not been down this rabbit hole before :p

A speaker question, would a 10" Celestion Greenback work ok with an American 'voiced' amp?
I made the same mistake with my last amp. I just drilled again and put a blank faceplate on it.

A Greenback will do fine. It's not uncommon to put one in a Fender amp.

Kev-wilson

Tele-Meister
A layout question, or does this look ok? I know very little at this point about what goes where, but looking at ones on RobRobs site think it looks ok, but aren’t sure.

I thought I better ask before I drill it :) then I can start assembling and wiring the valve bases and pots.
5619F6BB-D79F-47B7-AF89-A9158FDC534F.jpeg

Last edited:

Snfoilhat

Tele-Afflicted
Are you still revising the control panel graphics?

Sorry the only substantive feedback i can offer is copyediting o_O

Is it Micro Deluxe or Deluxe Micro?

Kev-wilson

Tele-Meister
Are you still revising the control panel graphics?

Sorry the only substantive feedback i can offer is copyediting o_O

Is it Micro Deluxe or Deluxe Micro?
23B06294-A021-489D-BE27-F692E1C233D3.jpeg

I’ve got 2 attempts 😛 in clear self adhesive vinyl, but it’s hopefully going to be the deluxe micro, I did the graphic with illustrator but haven’t used a graphic design program before.
I’ve got to use that version as it matches my hole layout

Snfoilhat

Tele-Afflicted
The reason I asked was the layout said Deluxe Micro. Working on control panel graphics has become one of my favorite parts of building amps, despite all the challenges working with the graphics programs and printing. Nice work!

Kev-wilson

Tele-Meister
The reason I asked was the layout said Deluxe Micro. Working on control panel graphics has become one of my favorite parts of building amps, despite all the challenges working with the graphics programs and printing. Nice work!
Thank you, the feeling of joy when I eventually got the numbers to follow a circle is hard to describe 😂

The swearwords uttered when it dawned on me I'd drilled it upside down not so hard to imagine...

It's my first attempt at an amp, up until the turn of the year I played mainly acoustic but my mate left a Fender Strat at mine to avoid a divorce conflict, didn't sound that good thru a Vox valvetronic (nothing sounded good through it tbh) so another mate lent me a Champion 600 and the Strat sounded mint :) so I found a nice MiM Tele 2nd hand locally that sounds nice through the Champ so went and bought a 15 watt Night Train clone for no other reason than it had valves and was cheap :) and made a head unit to put it in, and a matching cab, and it's sitting quite redundant as the Champ is much better.

Last edited:

Paul-T

Tele-Holic
Layout looks good. I would do the headphone test to check for Output Transformer orientation.

I think there's a convention to angle your valves bases around 45 degrees so heaters can trail more neatly .

Attachments

• Deluxe micro post drilling.jpg
    Deluxe micro post drilling.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 20

Kev-wilson

Tele-Meister
Layout looks good. I would do the headphone test to check for Output Transformer orientation.

I think there's a convention to angle your valves bases around 45 degrees so heaters can trail more neatly .
Thanks, that 45’ works with the layout drawing so I’ll make sure I fit it so.
If the headphone test uses a scope then I’m out, some of the photos show the OT at an angle so I wondered if (when) there’s a hum I could drop a screw and rotate it around a little to see if it goes.

“When there’s a hum” I’m getting ahead of myself 😂

Paul-T

Tele-Holic
Luckily, you don't need a scope. Connect the power transformer to mains - just the primary, nothing else. Connect the OT output to a pair of headphones - that's all, nothing else. Move it around and it will pick up hum in some places and not others. Google tube amp headphone trick for more info.

Kev-wilson

Tele-Meister
9E2D7829-F39B-4DD8-9CC8-72F348EAC443.jpeg
99FBB214-818C-49AF-B6C3-F39EE42C19B0.jpeg

Tomorrow is all about wiring, I’m enjoying this though the PT makes me nervous just sat there watching me malevolently as I’ve not made a cap drain probe yet.

There's no reason I can't sit the PT on something so to clear the board mount screw? Also, if your pots stick out too far (holding the knobs away from the front, there'd be no reason I couldn't pack them on the inside to move them back? (I've allowed for this when I drilled for the board.

Last edited:

Kev-wilson

Tele-Meister
Good morning and another question, This base, I ordered internal mounted ones, is it the right type?
FAB8908F-F027-4D81-B0BA-47AA5599E6A6.jpeg

Fitted from inside the chassis the top doesn’t stick out very far and the valve didn’t want to go in.

wangdaning

Tele-Meister
It looks ok to me, sometimes they just need a bit of hard wiggling and pushing to get in the first time. I usually do the first install with the mount facing up so I can use a bit more pressure. I think it is just the pin slots inside are tight from the factory.

Kev-wilson

Tele-Meister
I’ve worked myself into a confusion and it’s late, so a couple more questions 😇
6F35E139-DC12-466F-A7F8-56030AD8DDC8.jpeg
EDD5991A-20D1-4BAA-BE63-1D815DFADB4B.jpeg

My secondaries, I’m unsure but expected to tie the centre right 250v to the centre left 0, taking the left hand 250v and the right hand 0 as my 2 ht output wires.
Then the 6.3v heater wires, I thought I’d use the right side but honestly aren’t sure, can anyone point out what I need to do?

It’s given me a headache 🧐