Deluxe custom wiring - 3 pickups, 5 way selector, blend and split!

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by supercally7, May 15, 2021.

1. supercally7

supercally7 TDPRI Member

Hi all, first post here and wanting to tap into the collective knowledge.

Had a Squire body with Telecaster Deluxe routing gathering dust for a few years know, but having seen a couple of guitars recently with this combo of pickups, I'm looking at adding a third pickup and going for the combination a Humbucker in the bridge, single coil middle and P90 for the neck. A friend of mine is a woodworker so will do the additional routing for the new middle pickup. I'm also getting a custom pickguard made up which can accommodate a standard 5 way selector switch.

As you know, with the Deluxe there are 4 control knobs so been trying to come up with ideas on how to assign all 4. My first thought was about having a master volume, a combined tone for the P90 and single coil, a Humbucker tone with a push/push split, and a neck/bridge pickup blender. Does that sound like a good way to go about it?

Been scouring through diagrams on the internet and come up with the attached. It's my first time doing something like this from scratch so any advice or suggestions are welcome on the following:

1) Am I along the right lines with my diagram to achieve what I've stated above? What mistakes have I made?

2) I'm using Irongear pickups and it's recommended the P90 and Humbucker uses 500k pots and the single coil 250k pots. For the combined tone should I use a dual 250/500k pot? Or, I've seen 470k resistors used in some diagrams, is that an option?

3) Any suggestions on other approaches that might be more suitable? For example, might I be better having a master tone, with a volume for each pickup and a push/push to split the Humbucker on its volume control, with a different solution for combining the pickups?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Ian

Attached Files:

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You have some problems with the tone circuits. It's currently wired so you have a non-working bridge tone (missing a jumper), and a MASTER tone, wired 50s style (after the vol pot).

Since you don't mention it, I assume you don't care about 50s wiring. So, wire the tone controls similar to any two-tone Strat. Both tones come right off the switch, not the vol pot.

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 05.30.38 PM.png

3. supercally7

supercally7 TDPRI Member

That's brilliant, thanks very much for taking the time to respond. I think one of the diagrams I used as an initial basis had a Fez Parker mid which might explain the 50s wiring, but I'm not fussed about that.

In terms of the tone pot for the P90 and single coil, what would you suggest, 250 or 500k?

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

There are multiple things that go by the name 'Fezz Parka mod', namely 50s tone wiring, and a blend circuit. These of course also go by their regular nomenclature. And the two things are unrelated.

Vol pot value is more critical, IMO. I didn't mean to recommend a 250k vol pot. I meant to leave it blank, for you to decide. Cut/paste error. To please both HB and singles, you may want to use a 500K, and run a 470k resistor from the middle pickup switch lug, to ground. Whenever middle is active, you'll have (effectively) a 250k vol pot. Yes, even in parallel. To have it be active ONLY in middle position, you'll need a super switch.

Now, to the tone pot...

A smaller tone pot won't get as bright. It's always cutting some treble, even dimed - unless you go with a no-load pot, which I recommend. If you use a larger tone pot, you still have the function of the smaller one, somewhere within that sweep. But in practice, the tapers are different. Get a few of each, and test.

5. supercally7

supercally7 TDPRI Member

That's brilliant, thank you so much for the advice, will get ordering!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.