Delay with tap tempo and dotted 8th

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Bikersluggo, May 28, 2019.

1. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic

I am interested in a new delay pedal with tap tempo and a dotted eighth setting. Preferably something I could find for less than $100 used?

I'm aware of the ehx deluxe memory boy, and I think tc electronics has something but what are my other options?

2. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Take a look for a used DOD Rubberneck. There's a lot of love for these. Has everything you could need. May be a bit more than $100, but you'll probably never need another delay.

3. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

More money: Boss DD500. I got mine used for $169 and have never looked back, it’s amazing at whatever you want in a delay.

Another option is to learn to tap the dotted eighth against a quarter note beat. It takes a little practice, but really not that much. Then you just pick the tap delay that has the right tonal qualities for you and have one less feature to worry about.

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  4. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was going to suggest this. So long as you can work out the "math", you don't need a delay with a specific dotted-eighth setting.

5. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Check out the EHX Canyon. There are a few on Reverb now for $100.

Ecadad likes this.
  6. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

Nux time force will do it.. 50ish used

Bikersluggo likes this.
  7. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Boss DD7.

Great little pedal. Does all the great digital delay tones, has a great analogue mode and has tap tempo and dotted 8th and a looper function. An external tap tempo switch makes it highly intuitive.

middy likes this.
  8. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

I have a TC Electronics Nova Delay. I don't think they're making them anymore. I saw some used for around $100. I like mine, though I don't use all of its capabilities. I am slightly challenged when it comes to using delay, so I just use mine for a little added space. It does have the dotted eighth note function as well as others including reverse.

Bikersluggo likes this.
  9. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

No math involved just tap out the first three beats of a “Bo Diddley” beat.

codamedia likes this.
  10. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Meister

Boss DD-5 does it well. Should come in around budget with a tempo switch.

Bikersluggo and Lawdawg like this.
  11. dombar335

dombar335 TDPRI Member

TC Flashback 2. You can audio tap tempo by hitting your strings or add an external tap tempo if you don't play in stereo.

12. patient81

patient81 TDPRI Member

No audio tap tempo in the flashback 2 unfortunately.

13. dombar335

dombar335 TDPRI Member

Really? I only have the first one. You hold down the pedal until the sound cuts out and then tap the tempo on your strings. So the only way to tap tempo on the 2 is with an external switch?

14. patient81

patient81 TDPRI Member

15. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Another option is a Digitech Obscura if you can find one used it might be reasonable.

Its tap tempo requires you to hold the footswitch for 2 seconds and then start tapping. That could be a deal breaker. I found it workable for just practicing, but ISTR some people found it unworkable in a gig situation.

It is a nice sounding delay with a bunch of options and it's built like a tank and relatively small.

I had one, got rid of it, not necessarily sure it was the right move now?

I have had a lot of delays in only about 2.5 years.

Flashback -> Obscura -> Obscura + Memory Boy -> Memory Boy -> Memory Boy + DMM 1100TT

Memory Boy will possibly go soon.

Note I have the regular Memory Boy, the Deluxe Memory Boy is a lot nicer. It does 99% of what the Deluxe Memory Man Tap Tempo/1100TT do, it just has 700ms max delay, a darker sound, and a different selection of oddball features.

The DMB has a low cut (lets you cut bass) option that the DMM does not have, and it has a hidden mode called Tap Divide Sequencer. When you enter the Tap Divide Sequencer Mode it cycles through the tap tempo divisions all by itself which results in a constantly changing sound. All Memory Boys also have square wave functionality in their Oscillator, which Memory Man units do not have.

The DMM Tap Tempo models do not have the Tap Divide Sequencer mode or the Low Cut feature. Instead the Tap Tempo DMM models have a feature that lets you set a second feedback level and you can cause it to ramp up to the higher feedback level by holding the tap tempo switch. This feature uses the same controls the Sequencer/Low cut features use on the DMB.

DMB is a nice option to pay a lot less than a DMM if you like the way it sounds. I bought my DMM a month or two ago, I had a really hard time deciding to get a DMM vs a DMB. In some ways I think the Memory Boy line does better chorus because of it's darker tone & lower minimum delay time.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    J-Flanders and Bikersluggo like this.
  16. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

DigiTech TimeBender used one....

It has both immaculate tap tempo (no holding for two seconds) and the first ever (tc electronic) STRUM tempo which is far better and way more accurate than any tap tempo. You can choose between them, and it has a switch at the front that divides the tempo into half dotted 8s and so on.

17. dombar335

dombar335 TDPRI Member

18. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

I second this. Best Delay pedal I've ever had on my board. Worth every penny and easy to find at a decent price used. Tons of usable settings (DD, Mod, Memory Man, Tape, Shimmer...), tap tempo, one button to switch to dotted 8, if you want to get really into it you can edit all the parameters of most the delays. Probably the most pedal in something that small and affordable and high quality available. I love it- I might add a second Canyon to my board...

19. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 TDPRI Member

Diamond Counterpoint, has galloping eights with subtle rhythmic blended quarter notes and tap tempo.

Simple and straightforward.

YMMV

20. die Fliege

die Fliege TDPRI Member

I would recommend the TC Electronic Flashback. I’ve seen them on reverb s low as $120.

Bikersluggo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.