Delay to go in Boogie's Loop?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by MrGibbly, Dec 26, 2018.

1. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Here's the quandary. I really like my old stand by MXR Carbon Copy analog delay. However, it chokes on the hot signal in my Boogie V:25's effect loop and distorts in a rather unpleasant way... I am fine running it out front for clean sounds but I am not fond of the delay sound into very high gain settings. It's a problem because I use my amp for almost all of my dirt (except a raunchy tweed sound).

Looking for recommendations on a good delay that can handle the hot signal in the loop. Some parameters that I'm interested in (but not required)... I like to support small builders when possible. I prefer that my signal entire signal not be converted to digital and back again but have no beef with a nice digital effected added on. I lean more towards analog sounds like bucket brigade or tape with clean/crunch sounds but could use a little more brightness/crisp sound with high gain. Format isn't a constraint. Budget can be flexible as I've got some Christmas money.

What say you?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  2. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Without more information, sounds like pretty much any line level unit would work...those typically found in rack units. If analog is your need, you probably will have to look into vintage, such as an Ibanez AD200 or so.

3. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Hardwire DL-8, discontinued but still easy to find on used market for great price. Recommend turning tails/buffer on.

MrGibbly likes this.
  4. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Not a lot of replies on this thread but wanted to come back and post what I have found in case someone else is on a similar search in the future. Both the Strymon and Source Audio units are dry-through and take a line level input. Both have digital emulation of bucket brigade and tape delays. I'll be sitting down with them to give them a whirl...

WireLine likes this.
  5. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Strymon and Eventides will work fine in the mess of a Mesa's effects loop.

MrGibbly likes this.
  6. OldGuy6873

OldGuy6873 Tele-Holic

For high gain stuff, any digital delay should do fine. Depends on your budget, but the Boss Digital Delays are excellent.

7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Boss delays don’t play well with the hot signal in a Boogie loop. I know this from personal experience.

8. OldGuy6873

OldGuy6873 Tele-Holic

Alright, but I know others that have had no problems with them in super high gain situations with some of the Boogies. YMMV.

9. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I should be more specific, then. The Boss DD-3 is easily overloaded in a Mark V loop.

10. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Something with the input headroom to handle your preamp signal will work. the x4 models of TC units, Belle Epoch Deluxe, Strymon Eventide, Boss RE-201 reissue etc too many to list really.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI forum mobile app

11. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Doesn't someone make a pad that you can run in the loop so that everything can run properly in a Mesa?

EDIT: Here is one... Ebtech LLS-2 2-channel Line Level Shifter

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  12. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

I’ve owned just about every delay pedal out there. Currently using a Carbon Copy and a Marshall Echohead. I bought a Digitech Digidelay used for $30. I gotta say it sounds really good and may be what you need. I think it’s pretty underrated and it has trails which I personally like.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI forum mobile app

13. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I run a Belle Epoch and Diamond MLjr through my V25 loop.

14. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

If you like the MXR Carbon Copy, the MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe features an internal switch that's supposed to allow it to be used with line level effects loops. I haven't tried it and can't speak to how well it works.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.