Delay, Stapleton, slap back, Kings X

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Muttly, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Muttly

Muttly TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

So..just getting into pedals, thinking a delay pedal might be a good idea..
    Have a decent reverb on the amp, so that's a start..
    Few different things I,m looking for to start. Chris Stapleton, Second one to know..kinda sounds like some reverb, bit of echo/ slap back..
    Kings X, clean parts in Summerland..think I,m hearing a bit of chorus, real short, chimey bit of delay...
    And a decent rockabilly slap back..
    What would be a good pedal to start with?
    If it does more Gilmour sorta stuff, won't hurt my feelings, but those three are the basics I,m looking for...
    Any help, greatly appreciated!!

tah1962 likes this.
  2. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Something digital and easy to use. I like the Boss DD-3, but the DD-7 has more features and may be more useful for the different styles you're looking for.

3. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

+1 on King’s X Summerland. Below is an article I found on Ty’s gear used on many of their early albums.

Tabor’s original rig included an early ’80s Fender Elite Strat that featured a mid-boost circuit. His amps of choice were Gibson Lab Series, which were rack mounted and used only as a preamp. Those then ran into a Mesa/Boogie power amp. Currently, Tabor usually favors a Fractal Audio Systems Axe-FX running into a Randall RT2/50 power amp. For pedals, he uses a Line 6 DL-4 and a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    FenderGyrl likes this.
  4. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Meister

Spend a bit of time exploring Strymon pedals. I have two right now and I love them. Strymon seem to know how to build effects which sound organic and analogue, and it's hard to get a bad sound out of them.

I use a Blue Sky Reverb with an El Capistan tape delay, into a PRRI, and when I sit down with them it is hard to get anything else done during the day. Hours of noodling. Everything sounds lush and epic, and the Strymon people seem to have nailed clean effects: I can still hear my tubes. There's nothing muddy in the chain. That's a huge bonus for me.

The PRRI has gorgeous reverb already, so I usually set the Blue Sky pedal to "room" but you also have a "modulation" option which is basically chorus, and a "shimmer" which I think adds chromatic elements, fifths etc, and is quite special.

The El Capistan is a really chewy, analogue sounding tape delay emulator. I use maybe 5% of the sounds it can produce and I'm happy.

Most of all, I love that these pedals don't detract from the naked sound of my PRRI. They add the effects, but no fluff or padding. It's still a tube sound. Really clear and glassy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.