1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Delay + Reverb. I like it!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RetroTeleRod, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

It seems like most here are coming from more a rock perspective with their use of Reverb and delay.

I may be more older R&R, blues and country- so I always have Spring Reverb ON ( Fender or Vox Amp).

And then I kick in Slapback delay for Rockabilly and surf stuff. ( mine is a little bigger/ more exaggerated than the usual)
    But I rarely play without Reverb.

I just got this Donner RevEcho-Reverb and Delay combo specifically for new a Supro amp, whose Spring Reverb is OK, but I wanted to hear better.
    20210211_144224.jpg

This new pedal is very cool in its layout and design (both effects, good controls) but I wish the Reverb were more Spring-like than what I'm hearing.
    But it sounds better than the amp's Reverb.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  2. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Reverb is an effect I refuse to be without. Add a bit of delay to that an it's heaven.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  3. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

It sounds good because nature usually runs echo with reverb. I am not sure if nature runs the delay into the verb or visa versa....:oops:

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  4. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I run a very minor (barely audible) delay into a medium amount of reverb and they’re both pretty much always on. I use a dirt cheap Donner Yellow Fall delay and a Mr. Black mini-reverb. Probably a total of less than $140 between the two. I used to have an RV-6 but I like the sound of the Mr. Black more, it takes up a tiny amount of space, and was a lot cheaper.... It’s been a very long time since I’ve changed the settings on either of them.

-Ray

Roscoe295, DrBGood and RetroTeleRod like this.
  5. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I use both sparingly. The delay provides the back wall of my "virtual room". Reverb gets clicked off for higher gain tones and I tend to go dry for rhythmic parts. Between the two pedals, I've got a few good options without changing settings.

6. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Check out Live at Hull. Recently stitched in some dropped bass and mixed. It’s a much better recording and sound than Leeds I think the playing is at least as good as Leeds.

7. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I wonder how that would compare to the "+ Delay" mode on the BOSS RV-6?

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  8. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I use delay a lot. If I add reverb, its after the delay because its onboard the amp. I'm curious, but don't have a way to reverse the two right now.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  9. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

I play through non-reverb amps, so it's all pedal reverb, but I still put reverb after delay to smear it all together. Delay would go after verb if you want delay with more distinct or rhythmic repeats. I put tremolo after both to chop it back up again.

RetroTeleRod and Roscoe295 like this.
  10. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I’m running reverb after the delay.

11. RetroTeleRod

It’s the same principle, but I just don’t love that particular mode on my RV-6 for some reason. But the Delay+Small Room mode on my RV-3 rocks!

12. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

It's a great sound that I use it quite a lot. It's very atmospheric and dreamy sounding, especially if played with a slide, and matches well with some of the synth stuff I've been playing around with.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  13. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I can't find anywhere in the BOSS docs which specific reverb is being used in the RV-6 "+ Delay" mode. Do you know? I could swear I read somewhere that it was Hall, but I could be wrong.

14. RetroTeleRod

I bet it is Hall. That would explain why it doesn’t work for me. I’m not a fan of hall reverb. Give me Plate, Room or Spring anytime!

15. Drak

Drak Tele-Holic

I used to be reverb-addicted until I built a Gilmour board about 10-15 years ago.
    Then, reverb was completely off-the-table and I learned how to really use delays.

Then years later, I built an ambient board, where I tried reverb before delay.
    I never really found a way to make that work, never really liked it that way.

Now, things are somewhat back to normal.
    I will say that every board I now have has at least two delays on it.
    Some have reverb, some don't.

16. Chandlerman

Chandlerman Tele-Meister

Another thumbs up for the Dispatch Master.

Edgar Allan Presley likes this.
  17. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I use reverb after delay. I used to set reverb to a subtle Hall that just rounded the harshness off a small room. There were a couple of Hendrix tunes where a bit more verb made them feel right. Manic Depression and Love Or Confusion sound right with a bigger verb than I normally use.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  18. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

I have on my experimental board, Boss CP-1X compressor, Barbershop V2 boost preamp, Diamond Counterpoint delay on Extra Faux Tape setting, Hoof fuzz and overdrives, Diamond compressor, Boss RV-3 delay 3/4, modulation, Boss RV-3 slight delay/reverb, always on.

I am primarily, using the this set up in different configurations of compression and delay for slide guitar and experimenting with EP tape echo delay using my existing pedals, by reconfiguring the placement.

It sounds pretty good and my partner, asked if I was playing the Sonos stereo, the 1st time I played through the board.

YMMV

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  19. Telewielder

Telewielder Tele-Meister

Boss Tera Echo's a bit of both.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.