Delay pedals- analog or digital ?

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Ragin Cajun, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Tele-Meister

New to pedals, and thinking about getting a few. one of the first will be a delay pedal. I'm confused about the difference between an analog pedal and a digital pedal. What's the difference, and what's the consensus here as to which is more desirable?

Thanks

2. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

Apples and oranges really. There is no better.

Analog sounds imperfect and thus more natural. Digital has its uses. You get way longer delay time. And the perfect repeats can be useful at times. If you play really dirty, digital can work better as a subtle effect to sound bigger. But analog can achieve that as well.

Overall, I much prefer analog. Some of the pedals on the market tend to sound dark, however.

I use the dmm xo. Love it!!

I highly recommend the TC electronic flashback as a versatile intro into delay. It's digital, but has modes that emulate analog. It's a great pedal and holds its value if and when you're ready to branch out. The ehx Canyon is another solid starting point.

FenderGuy53 and 8trackmind like this.
  3. johnniegoat

johnniegoat TDPRI Member

@Ragin Cajun

i agree with @Axegrinder77 almost to the letter. i prefer analogue, or analogue emulation, over digital as its more "human". but YMMV

i have a bunch of different ones, but my main board has a Boss Waza delay and a Way Huge Echo Puss; my smaller board has an MXR Carbon Copy

also - 100% agreement regarding the Flashback - the mini is comparatively inexpensive and it has the Toneprint app you can use to weak and adjust, making it versatile and quite powerful

FenderGuy53 and Axegrinder77 like this.
  4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

MXR Carbon Copy (analog) works for me...

Buzzgrowl and Chief101 like this.
  5. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

I'll kind of follow this thread, since after years of playing with just the overdrive and/or reverb on my amps I've begun gathering pedals, and a delay will be next purchase.

I'm pretty much sure it will be the Carbon Copy Deluxe, which puts all the interior pots of the original on the outside and has a selectable bright switch to dispel the darkness should one so choose. And I've loved every MXR pedal I've tried.

Verne Bunsen and Chief101 like this.
  6. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

I usually use digital with analog emulation. :D:D:D
    Also tape echo emulation, even more....

7. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

I like both. I prefer digital (Ancient Boss DD-3's) for dirty live use because they can be heard clearly. Analog delays sound better, more organic but I think hold up better with a clean bright sound. live and dirty, or with a dark amp, they can get lost in my opinion.

I have (and use) a Carbon Copy and a DM2-Waza but only on a clean rig.

Sorry to muddy the water...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Axegrinder77 likes this.
  8. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I just put a Strymon Brigadier on my board, which is a digital emulation of analog bucket brigade delay. It is frickin’ fantasticool. When I think of an actual digital delay (as opposed to digital emulating analog), I think perfectly pristine repeats. I for one prefer the degradation associated with tape and bucket brigade tech.

Jimmy Dean likes this.
  9. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Meister

Some good points here. Consider how you’ll use it.

What I would add is that there are some fairly affordable digital offerings on the market that sound great.

From my experience you have to spend much more to get a good analog offering.

I’m a long time maxon AD999 user. Set low to give me a bit ambience.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  10. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

I have the Brigadier also. I love it. For some reason it does not get a lot of exposure on this forum.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Verne Bunsen likes this.
  11. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

If you want to see what you like, maybe consider a digital modeler that emulates analog along with a variety of others. TC flashback, Hardwire, Boss DD200 or DD 500, Line 6, Zoom...lots of options that will give you some flavors to try. Then you can make an informed decision. For me, I’m all about the tape delay.

12. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Meister

Get both and decide for yourself. Analog delay need not cost a lot, and is an always on pedal for me. Normally just a bit of slapback is all I need. You don't need to break the bank for digital delay either, but it does tend to color the tone a bit (in my experience). With digital you can set for infinite exact repeats, while analog will decay naturally/gracefully (I'm sure there are pedals that cross over a bit -- so these are generalizations).

I experimented a bit and stacked delays with an analog delay running into a digital delay and got some pretty interesting (to my ears) synth sounds and swells:

Yeah, get both and experiment.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  13. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Both. I use a dd3 for slap back and a carbon copy for longer delays.

8trackmind likes this.
  14. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

you should've made this a poll... curious what the results would be these days since preferences come and go...

for me... it's digital all day. analog delays are muddy and full of weird decay artifacts as the bucket brigade chips lose the original signal. digital can be pristine and clear... they can mimic the warm hiss of analog... and they sound a lot more "natural" in the sense that they're a better emulation of how tape delays actually sound

jman72 likes this.
  15. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

Analogue delays are darker, digital clearer. Digital all the way for me. The boss DD series are great. It's very much a personal preference though so I'd recommend trying both.

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Digital. The fidelity allows far more dynamic range and expression.

17. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

Well, it has that one cousin that is always hogging all the attention!

18. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I'm also in the analog camp.
    Another satisfied carbon copy owner.
    I had a Boss DD-? but traded it and a couple of other things to fund my CC.

Henry Mars likes this.
  19. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I prefer analog delay. I use a DOD Rubberneck, which has a lot of variety of sounds and capability for less than $150

20. Tele-Belly64

Tele-Belly64 TDPRI Member

not trying to repeat the already mentioned advice and dead on attributes discussed on the two entities, but if the money is there the JHS Panther Cub is an analog delay that's dark and brooding and if you keep your strum meticulous you can avert some of the murky analog tendencies, just a thought

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.