1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Delay pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by GuitarsBuicks, Aug 1, 2020.

1. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I am seriously contemplating getting a multi-function delay pedal. Currently torn between tc electronics Flashback and EHX Grand Canyon. Thoughts?

2. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

FWIW...I had the EHX Canyon, (not Grand Canyon) but sold it. I still have the TCE Flashback. To me the Flashback just sounds better and the ability to beam Tone Prints through your phone gives you a lot more options. YMMV.

RhythmFender likes this.
  3. RhythmFender

RhythmFender Tele-Meister

I’ve not tried either of those, but I do have a new EHX stereo memory man with hazarai that takes care of all of my reverb, echo, slap back, delay chorusy and flangey type stuff I could ever need and then some, though it’s real tweaky and I’m still getting used to it and how to achieve what I most want out of it. It is digital, but it’s pretty natural and warm for a digital. I recommend it for sure, especially if you’re willing to find a nice used one for a good price. Some folks don’t like used effects but I’ve always had pretty good luck with them.

tah1962 likes this.
  4. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

BOSS DD-200.

RhythmFender likes this.
  5. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I don’t think you can go wrong. I’ve got a Canyon and it’s great. It does have a bit of a learning curve when it comes to using the secondary knob functions, but it’s ultimately no big deal.

RhythmFender likes this.
  6. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I have a Caline Drifter 7 Delays...I got it off Amazon ~$50. I like it.

IMG_1525.JPG

RhythmFender likes this.
  7. 1revcapps

1revcapps TDPRI Member

Dittos on the Flashback. Full lush delays and lots of options. I’ve found several I like and rarely change them.

8. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

For me, I found that when I had a multi function delay I really just used one setting, so I ditched it and just got a boss dm-2w.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  9. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Thank you for all of your responses.

I've done some research and have decided that I'm really looking more for a simple echo-reverb replacement. Although the TC Flashback is still on the list, I'm also now looking at the much over priced Fender Mirror image, Way Huge Aqua-Puss, and the Seymour's Duncan Vapor Trail, among others. Currently attempting to avoid the cheap Amazon pedal makers like Donner, Kimse, KLMQ, and the like. I want something that will last me most of a life time and not suck tone.

10. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have not tried EHX Grand Canyon, I do own a TC Electronic Flashback 2.

I am very pleased with the sound of the Flashback 2 I does a great job for the money, it is particularly good when combined with the TC Electronic HOF and the big brother Hall of Fame. I admit to being very much biased when it comes to my TC Electronic devices .

my wolf Trouble.jpg

11. ShortintheSleeve

ShortintheSleeve Tele-Meister

I got a lot of use out of a Canyon. I have a Keeley Caverns now because I wanted a dual delay/reverb.

12. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had the Canyon. Sounded good, but I sold it because it had way too many knobs and settings. It was much more than I needed.

Henley likes this.
  13. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

I have the Flashback x4. It's big but if you have the room you get a lot of versatility.

14. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I had a ehx canyon. Liked the dmm mode, and mostly used that. So I bought a dmm xo. Real deal Panasonic 3008 chips, true bypass now, incredible lush delay with very useable chorus and vibrato settings.

It's a lifetime delay pedal.

15. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I eventually missed the small footprint and flexibility of the canyon, so I got a flashback. Not bad, but I found it irritating. The dmm repeats get out of the way, and I think digital just doesn't quite do that as well.

16. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

Flashback 2 is one of Bjorn's top picks at Gilmourish.com.

If you want more control without plugging the pedal into a phone or tablet, Boss DD-200. It also has a built-in display for dialing in mss. or bpm. Durable, like most things Boss.

Not a multi, but versatile: Foxgear Echosex Baby, a version of the Binson Echorec.

17. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Boss DD 20 Giga Delay

18. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

I have the EHX Grand Canyon,. it makes some very pleasant sound's and if you learn how to use it...fantastic. I agree that it has far too many settings for me,. as I only use a handful of 'em. They are there if you need them however. It has a lot going on for the average "no fuss" player to figure out and can be somewhat intimidating to reach all of it's full potential.

19. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Holic

upload_2020-8-3_21-36-12.jpeg After getting this, I never shopped for another delay.
    Of course I have stacks of reverb, tremolo and OD .

20. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

I’m currently drooling over delays. If I pull the trigger, it will be for a Boss DD-200. It seems to be a good combination of features, but looks to have a very nice interface.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.