Delay pedal suggestions.

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by clayton58, Oct 21, 2019.

1. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Third. I dig the modulation button too.

Chief101 and CDox like this.
  2. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

I've never had an issue with digital delays being noisy... even those cheap Chinese delays from 15 years ago. i use poorly filtered power supplies and stupid high gain for the most part too.

feedback oscillations can get artificial and unpleasant in the digital cheapies... and even the mad professor deep blue to some extent. but the keeley and JHS offerings are a little more tamed. the JHS even has a tone control for the delays which can really dial in a softer, more analog sound. but i keep it bright and clean to cut through the mix better. it's less cluttered in a dense live sound

3. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

This is kinda my feeling too. I tried the MXR, Aqua Puss, some others, and I finally figured out I like digital better. Just seems cleaner to me. My go-tos are a DD2 and a DD3. Never found anything I liked better.

clayton58 and joeford like this.
  4. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister

I've been using a GarageTone Axle Grease that I got for $30 for years. I've flirted with many, many expensive delays for ages, like every six months. But I always come home to that cheap little box. It's real warm, so it has what you might call coloration. Still sounds great for many applications, doing your Edge impersonation, whacky space crap, creating a little space. I used it instead of a reverb for ages.

5. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

My main delay is an EHX Canyon, which will do pretty much anything except your laundry. I mostly live in the tape delay and memory man emulation settings. I also just got a Wampler Doctor delay, which is as dirty and gunky an analog delay as you could want. It excels at self-oscillation and noise. It’s beautiful, though I don’t quite know how to work it into a band context yet.

6. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

That’s a great delay! It’s surprising that it’s not more well known.

7. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

I use the Vapor Trail, and don't notice anything weird with the direct signal. Sometimes I use the insert jack to put the delay into its own amp, and the direct signal sounds exactly the same as if I wasn't using the pedal.

8. clayton58

clayton58 TDPRI Member

Thanks all for the feedback.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.