Delay pedal suggestions.

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by clayton58, Oct 21, 2019.

1. clayton58

clayton58 TDPRI Member

Okay. I use a Boss DD 3 delay, mainly just for slapback.
    Using a custom “68” RI Twin Reverb.
    It just seems to me the pedal colors the sound. The tone. Sometimes
    warblers (?).
    What’s your go to delay?

2. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

You mean when it’s bypass? Because Boss pedals have a buffer that may color your tone. IME their buffers are not bad.

I personally love low-fi delays, so coloring is not a problem for me. I use the Kilobyte by Caroline, which is a fantastic pedal.

clayton58 likes this.
  3. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

I recall my Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail being fairly transparent. Moreso than the Boss delays I've owned.

4. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

DanEcho.
    The repeats actually get ratty like a tape delay.

BB likes this.
  5. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mine is a Memory Man.

It colors your sound for sure.

Actually it seems like most of the most famous delays were known for coloring the sound. The first 3 I'd name as most renowned would be the Echoplex EP-3, the Binson Echorec, and the Deluxe Memory Man.

Warble sounds like modulation.. I would make sure you don't have the modulation turned on/turned up too high. I think most of us would use the word "Warble" to describe a delay that had the modulation turned on. Usually modulation needs to get turned down as delay time goes up in my experience.

A Digital Delay like the DD-3 should be capable of the least amount of "coloring" compared to just about anything else.

clayton58 likes this.
  6. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I've had a DD-2 since dinosaurs walked the Earth. It is so straight, that I put it on the shelf, becuase I like a little warble. My go-to these days is a Catalinbread Echorec.
    But my $50 always on the board delay is the Digitech digidelay. Buy one cheap Never regret it.

clayton58 likes this.
  7. clayton58

clayton58 TDPRI Member

I couldn’t spell warble.

8. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

I have an old, made in Japan Boss DM-2, and the new Fender Mirror Image Delay.

I like both. The boss is great at the darker analogue thing (naturally), and I like the variety on the Fender (I don't really care it doesn't have the super long digital delay capability).

I also have Fender's Marine Layer Reverb, and I'm kinda annoyed now, as I just discovered Fender have released the delay and the reverb as a combo - the Reflecting Pool. With updated DSP / sounds, more variations, subdivisions, tap tempo, etc. to boot. Grrr...

Pax/
    Dean

clayton58 likes this.
  9. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

I had an Aqua Puss for a time. As delays went, it sounded the most human. When the single project I needed it for was finished, I sold it. Sorta think now I should've kept it.

If I were in the market for a delay, I'd give these a listen before buying anything else.

clayton58 likes this.
  10. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay. But there is a lot of difference in delay pedals, try out as many as possible. First decision is analog vs. digital.

clayton58 likes this.
  11. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

I have a trex replica , it sounds really good but I kind of think of it more as an echo box/echo reverb kind of thing.
    It has a volume for your echo sound and a separate volume for your dry, turning up one turns down the other. There are a lot of people who complain about that but it makes sense to me. It sounds really fat and warm for sure. Since it takes alittle bit of dialing to get the volumes right it wouldn’t be a pedal I would use if I was looking for a bunch of delay sounds and tempos. However, for a man like me who doesn’t really love delay it really works great, I just set one delay time and mess with the amount of repeats as needed. It’s great for slapback and like a faux reverb. It’s good for more sustain without the delay sounded taking over too.
    That’s my pick if your looking for a great simple echo.

I have a Boss dd7 that I mainly use for it’s looping but that sounds good too. Easier to dial in and it has a nice modulated delay that you can just use as a chorus if you have the delay time very low.

clayton58 likes this.
  12. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

I like my Maxon AD999, but kinda wish I had the AD9pro instead. I just dont use the really long delays, and would like the extra switch.

Many delays are buffered, you can either find ones you like the sound of (DMM, dunlop echoplex preamp...) or go with less colored ones. Maxons are old Ibanez dont get super dark on the shorter repeats, imo, but I like a little dark. My backup pedal is a BBE twotimer. It's kinda dark, even on shorter slapback stuff.
    I like the DD2 sounds with most guitars, but like the warmer analog sounds more than the smoothness digital has. I dint use long delays, so my favorite digital delay sounds are the smooth ones with an overall acceptable tone/buffer.

There are way too many delays for me to do anything but try playing them all ;)

clayton58 likes this.
  13. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Ive used a lot of Boss delays.. its my go to.. affordable, and plentiful.. Ive gone from DD3 to DD5, DD6, DD7, DD500, and now went back to DD20.. Im having gas pains for the DD200 though..

Boss does awesome stuff with their Digital delay stuff.. if you like that tone... I do like it, but I also have noticed that it doesnt color the tone that much to matter in loud/stage/performance volumes.. in my opinion, at that level, it doesnt matter much as the amp's tone/Overdrive tone matters more and more audbile..

14. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

I use the MXR Carbon Copy, and it's great. I also have a Strymon El Capistan, which is also pretty nice... I use both for different things, but both will give a nice slap back.

15. CDox

CDox TDPRI Member

I second the MXR

clayton58 and Chief101 like this.
  16. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

if the coloration of a boss delay is getting on your nerves... stay far far away from analog! i got into delays when analog was THE KING of delay pedals... and everything else was cheap garbage. the flood of $20 junk delays from China certainly didn't help.

but recently, I've come back to digital and been really pleased with it. the mad professor deep blue, the keeley mag echo, and the JHS pink panther are all sweet and crystal clean (unless you don't want them to be).

if you like washy textures and ambience, there's merit in the analog approach. but i prefer the clean sparkle of digital. i think it sits better in the mix too.

the pink panther is the only delay I've used for about a year and I'm extremely satisfied with it

clayton58 and dannyh like this.
  17. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

how's the noise level?

18. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

Strymon El Capistan- But I need it for Praise and Worship music which requires ambient and luscious deep space sounds. You can control the modulation and "tape age" of the the tails. Impeccable fidelity but very $$$. If you're not doing ambient stuff, there are more reasonable options.

clayton58 likes this.
  19. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

Love my dmm xo. True bypass, but still has the Panasonic goodness and all the features. The best thing about it is the coloration.

I can't imagine too many musical uses for a completely transparent delay. The OP may indeed be looking for that, but is is possible he or she may not realize the benefit? Ie sounding warmer, blending better, more "natural" etc.

Anyways, the dmm rocks. So much so that it stays on my board despite the bloated size.

If you're a delay noob, I strongly suggest the tc electronic flashback. You get so much variety and it sounds excellent. Easy to resell too!

clayton58 likes this.
  20. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

I really like my Digitech Hardwire DL-8. Picked it up used for $40. Lot's of delay options, plus a looper (which I've yet to use) to boot. I run two amps and run the DL-8 into a stereo volume pedal, then to amps. My delay needs are simple, so I really don't need all the options this pedal provides, but how I do use it (a slight, modulated delay) provides a huge, warm tone that puts a smile on my face. Looks like the go for $45 and up, but I feel that's quite a deal for what it provides.

jimash and clayton58 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.