1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Delay pedal recommendation?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 6v6t, Nov 9, 2020.

1. LittleTweaks

LittleTweaks NEW MEMBER!

Just got a 1980 EHX Deluxe Memory Man, it is damn fine....I also use a Boss DD-5 for my digital delays

Attached Files:

bluesholyman likes this.
  2. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

I have an Alexander History Lesson vII which is my keeper delay.

3. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

I don't think you can go wrong with that 3 Series, i bought the compressor and its excellent, durable too, it went flying across the room and bounced off a concrete floor without a scratch.

GGardner likes this.
  4. Jaggersan

Jaggersan TDPRI Member

Since your on 5 pages of replies I’ll keep it short, I love delay and have tried a lot of them. But not all of them lol
    I have a strymon timeline and an eqd dispatch master on my board, between the 2 of them I can do almost anything. If you know what you want you can try chase that tone down. My love for Gilmour tones lead me to the catalinbread echorec which does that sound as good as a pedal can.

5. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Mine is a little temperamental… from time to time, it makes noises or it makes other pedals noisy. But even when the Keeley and Echorec will be in, I won't part with it. It does a great-sounding digital, analog and tape delay … I haven't even explored the other modes … it has tap tempo, multiple time splitting. I certainly recommend it as the "all-purpose" delay.

6. RadioFM74

OP, I went through it again and there's one thing you don't tell us. What is it that you don't like in your setup, and what are you looking for in a new delay pedal? Without that info, we're just listing our favorites…

As for the signal loss in the DD: many owners here confirmed that there is some high end loss, so you might have to replace it. But it costs you nothing trying it on a separate power supply or with different patches just to see if you could solve the problem like that.

7. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

the maxon ad900 or whichever is the best delay ive ever heard. i have a dmm xo, which is the next best. a good delay creates space and magic. most cannot achieve this, but the mediocre ones get close enough for most purposes.

Hobbo and telemnemonics like this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I actually bought a second AD900 this year when it came up at auction and went for a good price.
    For how good they are the prices are really good.

Hobbo likes this.
  9. Hobbo

Hobbo TDPRI Member

On my board I use any 2 of the following 3:
    Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay - warm analogue tones but not dark. Set to slapback
    Anasounds Utopia - tape emulator delay, internal controls for bright/warm/dark, lofi/hifi tone, usual external controls plus a "tape warble" switch. Set to med to long delays
    Boss DD3 - old one from late 1980s, brighter digital tones. Set to either short or long depends which of the other 2 delays isn't on the board

Having said that it's the DD3 that usually doesn't get used....

And I'm on the market for either a Maxon AD900 or the Analogman ARDX20. Anyone know how they compare? I've seen the YouTube comparison vid but they sound the same to me!

10. Pickaxe

Pickaxe TDPRI Member

Strymon El Capitan, you won't find anyone saying a bad word about it, you can pick them up pretty cheap now to!

11. Zoot Zoot

Zoot Zoot TDPRI Member

Boss DD-200
    Go and try one, it does everything really well.

12. Don Rich Rules

Don Rich Rules Tele-Meister

DD7 or the Belle Epoch from Catalinbread.
    I have a bunch of delay pedals including my Dads
    Echoplex. The DD7 and the Belle Epoch sound great
    are affordable and take up very little real estate on
    a pedalboard.

13. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I was just using my Flashback today it sounded really nice , " smmmoooovvve" Yeah money well spent, and combined with my Hall of fame reverb,
    I can King Tubby/ Mad Professor all night long.

c9c1eac0adf57ca4ea4f3d088139db9e.jpg

ravindave_3600 likes this.
  14. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I like the DD7. My favorite sound was a Way Huge Supa Puss at quarter notes going into a DD7 at dotted rights. Supa Puss is cool but sometimes glitchy. Still, I would buy another one for the right price.

I am also partial to the JHS Panther Cub. It's very a nice analog sound with modulation and tap tempo. Should have never sold that either.

Currently, I am running the DD500. It has a lot of great tones, including Tera Echo, one of my favorite ambient delays. It's very adjustable on just about every parameter (there's a learning curve but it's not impossible). Nice tape sound, excellent analog and two digital modes. Plus filter and dual delay.

15. RadioFM74

Well, gentlemen, the Memphis Sun arrived today and it is amazing. I wish I could have spent more time with it, but in the little time I had with it I found:
    - two great slapback sounds, which are totally out of reach with my Flashback. The one I prefer is actually a room reverb with a pre-delay… really tasty and the best approximation I've heard in person of the Mystery train sound and of the Blue Jean Blues sound.
    - the "Albert Lee" thing, rounding up nicely the country guitar palette available
    - a longer echo setting which is very aggressive and "lo-fi" with a dirty strat, and wonderfully dreamy with a clean strat… the possibility to add some room reverb really comes in handy here
    - as an added bonus, the ADT settings give great modulation effects. Instant "Old Brown Shoe", but I suspect there's more and that the Memphis Sun could become the secret modulation pedal on my small board. And by small, I mean small… I will only add a tuner and a spring reverb

IMG_0676.jpeg

One thing I noticed is that you have to be very conservative with the "mix" knob, or else it goes over the top very quickly. And I am not a fan of room reverb per se, so I won't use it as a standalone.

So who could this pedal disappoint?
    -- persons having much better ears for Sun Studios classic tunes than I have
    -- persons making an over-enthusiastic use of the mix pedal, and getting cartoonish results
    -- persons expecting a great stand-alone reverb (it's not spring reverb, not plate… not the usual stuff!)
    -- persons expecting the full range of delay sounds… the range is wide, but there are no pristine repetitions, no real long delay times (even the longest echo is one strong repetitions and 4-5 more fading very quickly), no subdivisions, patterns, tap tempo…

It's "lo-fi", for country, 50s-style rock and blues. Exactly what I bought it for, and exactly what my Brownie calls for!

IMG_0674.jpeg

In the weekend I hope to start a proper NPD thread with some sound samples.

OP: if you want an all-purpose delay, avert your eyes!!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    blowtorch likes this.
  16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm glad you love it! that is awesome

RadioFM74 likes this.
  17. 6v6t

6v6t TDPRI Member

Yes, good point. I am looking for a delay that doesn’t color the tone too much. I do like the functionality of the DD7,
    but it seems to be a “thinner” tone than I like. I suppose that I am looking for a warmer, analog tone.

I am using a Fender Telecaster Deluxe with Fralin Splitblade Vintage pickups into a Lil’ Dawg Champter. I really like the tone of the setup and want to maintain the natural, warm, tube tone.

18. RadioFM74

The Flashback does not seem to have that problem in any of the modes I've tried. No "tone suck", no volume bumps. Could be a relatively straightforward solution!

19. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

I have a Carbon Copy, a Memory Lane Jr, and a Dispatch Master. They're all good, but the Dispatch Master is clearly the best to my ears. It hasn't left my board since I put it on and I haven't even thought about another delay pedal since.

Others that I've had over the last 5 years or so were the Canyon, Flashback (every version)and Supa Puss (least liked of any I've tried).

20. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Holic

A nice talk on delay.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.