1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Delay pedal recommendation?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 6v6t, Nov 9, 2020.

1. cosmiccowboy

cosmiccowboy Tele-Afflicted

I listened to several clips and was unimpressed as well, I use the MXR Carbon Copy and have for years with great results. But with the stuff that’s been mentioned the Boss RE 20 perks my ears up a bit .... we’ll see ;)

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah I remember someone from Keeley or maybe even Keeley himself came on here and posted clips, just before dropping the pedal on the market. The first sequence of them, the player had no rockabilly game, at least that he demonstrated. And the second sequence , although he had a more appropriate style for the demo, i still was not impressed in the least.

I mean, you use the name "Sun" in your delay pedal, people are going to have some very specific (Sam Phillips) aural expectations for it that you'd better be at least getting pretty close to meeting

cosmiccowboy likes this.
  3. cosmiccowboy

cosmiccowboy Tele-Afflicted

I have had both the MXR CC Deluxe and the CC ... the Deluxe, totally dig it :cool:

4. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

Well, in 3 pages of posts (so far) no one has mentioned my favorite... the Source Audio Nemesis Delay...
    https://motorcityguitar.com/products/source-audio-nemesis-delay?variant=45058092302

$299.00 new, I got mine used for $199.00. Very versatile and very easy to use. Way easier than the BOSS 200 or 500 series which run you through their War and Peave sized manuals and leave you out to dry.

Right out of the box you don't need to read any kind of manual to get great sounds on day one the second you plug it in. Source Audio designs their stuff so it is intentionally that way (intuitive to regular one pedal at a time guys like me) on the first day you use it.

It has 4 onboard presets, or if you use MIDI 128 presets. It has 12 different delay algorithms on the front, then if you download the free Neuro Desktop Editor you get 12 more delay algorithms.

From the Neuro editor, here is a list of the delay algorithms in this pedal:
    Nemesis neuro algorithms.jpg

I also have the Source Audio Ventris Reverb and it is easy to use and sounds great right out of the Box the first second you plug it in, too. All of the Source Audio One Series pedals are in the same easy to use right out of the box design, and all but one or two can be connected to the Neuro desktop editor to gain more algorithms. Their L.A. Lady Overdirve gets a total of FIFTY (50) overdrive/fuzz/distortion/preamp algorithms using the desktop eidtor. Any of the extra algorithms from the desktop editor can be saved in one of the SA's pedal presets.

Plus, the Source Audio customer service is spectacular. If you need help figuring out their stuff they go well and beyond any company out there I've ever experienced to help you step by step figure out any of their pedals.

I can't speak more highly of their pedals and the way they do business. I needed to cover most any type of effect type doing cover music for praise and worship. There is a lot of push toward the Line 6 Helix stuff but I can't stand sitting down with a manual for the rest of my life trying to get the first decent sound I need. Then, every time after that its another sit session with a manual. I'm an old school guy who has used single pedals all his 45 years of playing. I have no idea when or how or where effects got so complicated that the ONLY way to use them at all is to read the War and Peace sized manual. Which for some companies (like BOSS) the manual is just another piece of marketing material that shows that the pedal "does this" or "does that" and is not a how to use book. Plus my gripe with BOSS is that even on their web site the videos they have are stupid. There is no audio, and as it goes along a red circle circles a switch or button and there is zero explanation of what it does. Plus, there are tones and tones and tones of videos on YouTUbe that are "reviews" or marketing videos, not one I've ever found for the (BOSS RV-500 I hated for a month) that show you "push this button, and flip that switch, and get this result".

When I was having trouble figuring out a Source Audio Soundblox Series Obital Modulator, I emailed their tech support for help AND THE GUY MADE ME MY VERY OWN YOUTUBE VIDEO SHOWING AN EXACT STEP BY STEP HOW TO and narrated the video so it was so plain to understand a blind and deaf monkey (like me) could use it afterwards. No other pedal maker has ever done that. The same fellow has followed up on me, and that great tech support led me to trying their other pedals and in a long thread/email he has also offered training on using the Nemesis and Ventris pedals, as well as finding my way around on the Neuro desktop editor.

I'm a Source Audio convert for life, LOL.

5. Yuro

Yuro TDPRI Member

6v6T: I really still like my Roland Space Echo pedal. I started out with the gold standards: A real tape echo and a separate Fender reverb unit with NOS tubes...hand wired. There is a setting on the Space Echo that is very close to the best sound I got out of those units...and no noise of the tape moving constantly.

Additional bonus benefit is the "Input Volume" knob. I use this to throttle back the rest of my board. I get nice sustain and also nice on the edge break-up at low volumes and can set the way the guitar cleans up with guitar volume. This is very nice for studio practice etc.

Yet another benefit is that it has L & R outputs. I can plug in to 2 amps at once....Actually I plug them both into an AB-Y stereo switch. I can use either or both amps at once. Playing both results in huge stereo echo effect.

I use the bass setting at 3:00. The mid and treble at 9:00. If you have treble too high on this, with it plugged into the input, it sounds kinda cheezy. But it really is a go-to pedal for me now and is foundational to my board.

Oh...one more thing. It has a noise gate, so it quiets down the other pedals a bit.

Let me add that I have a lot of really good combos that don't have FX loop. This Space Echo pedal, set with not too much treble or mid, seems to work well through the input...which makes setting up so much easier.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  6. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

I do like the MXR Carbon Copy and I've written some songs around it sound. But it is a "one trick pony" it just does analog delay. Another good choice that has been already mentioned is the TC Electronic Flashback. The Flashback has a looper but it only does 40 seconds of a loop, so no way to loop a whole 12-bar blues progression, etc... Amazingly enough, almost all of the TC looper pedals only do a 40 second loop. They did finally break the 40 second mark on some of their later editions, but the original Ditto Looper and several models afterwards only had 40 seconds of looping.

As far as the Old Blood Noise Endeavors Black Fountain... just from reviewing YouTubes on my own and not test driving... this pedal is designed to be an oil can delay. Oil can is not an analog delay, or a digital delay, it was its own thing completely, and what I find about the old blood stuff is it sounds like an old blood pedal. They don't so much make pedals that do what other makers do (in some of their designs, which some folks might like)... so if you can live with that, and that its gonna get an oil can delay... I do like the sound this guy gets out of the pedal... I like the Black Fountain way much better than the Crucial Echo Nugget's size and price ($599-ouch)

Brett Kingman is one of my favorite pedal demo guys

Another oil can delay on the market you might want to consider if oil can is your thing... the Catalinbread Adineko ($209.99)... about the same price as the Black Fountain
    https://motorcityguitar.com/products/catalinbread-adineko-oil-can-delay?variant=31263723847746

As far as the Nugget, the full name is the Crucial Audio Echo Nugget. My first take is that for $600 that is a ridiculous price for one effect type. If you're going to throw out that much jack at one time, go with the Source Audio Nemesis... then you have digital, analog, and with the Source Audio desktop editor you also get an oil can delay. -- Another thing I notice is that this pedal is a HUGE real estate hog... its way too damned big. Big and expensive... not good so far... Plus, a one trick pony expensive, pedal that's too big. All it does for all that money and pedal board real estate is analog delay (for the same real estate and same money you could get a Line 6 HX Effects and have dozens of effects per dollar and real estate). There's no way in hell I'd ever consider this pedal. Not when you can do a helluva lot more for 1/2 the price with a Source Audio Nemesis, get 24 algorithms, including a great analog delay that does everything I heard in the Crucial YouTube, plus digital, oil can and 24 algorithms total. To me its a no brainer.

For the same $600 I got the SA Nemesis Delay ($199 used) and Venrtris Dual Reverb $300 used) and still had money left over. I don't get a "its worth 600 bucks" feel from this YouTube their company made... I get more of a "ho-hum, its another severely over-priced and way too damned big boutique pedal people only buy to post pictures of to brag on Internet forums". As far as anything practical, is way too expensive and way too damned big, and it just does analog delay that tons of other pedals do just as well and maybe better.

Just looks like over-priced masturbatory forum bragging rights, and no practicality of design/size or price. Two thumbs down for me...

I'll stick with my Source Audio Nemesis. Best delay pedal I've ever owned.

7. Enricos

Enricos TDPRI Member

Hi. I hope this will be helpful . . .

Delays I use:
    Moog Minifooger 05 MF Delay (analogue, superb, but discontinued and hard to find, thus expensive; on my board)
    Strymon El Capistan ("tape", flexible, easy to use, compact; on my board)
    Boss RE-20 Space Echo ("tape", flexible, easy to use, a little bulky; in the storage drawer)
    Malekko Ekko 616 (analogue, flexible, can also be used only for modulation; in the storage drawer)
    Akai Headrush E2 ("tape", very flexible, primitive by today's standards, great for pristine cleans but atrocious for distorted sounds, a bit bulky; in the storage drawer)

One I had to send back:
    Wampler Faux Tape Echo V2 (good features etc but much too noisy)

I think that generally it's simply not worth paying shedloads of money for an effects pedal of any type. I'm very picky and concentrate a lot on my sound – I play live and in the studio – but my limit is £250, and I have many pedals that cost far less than that and are just great. If you take a look at most serious pro musicians' rigs they are pretty modest affairs.

8. pi

pi Tele-Meister

I use a Boss DM-2W as my basic delay.

I also have a Flashback, which is fun for experimenting with different kinds of delays. I feel like it's good to have a multi-effect delay since there's so many different emulations and styles, which can be inspiring.

9. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

The TC Electronic D Two appears to still be in production, although it might be nearing end of life. In the US it seems supplies are starting to dry up (Sweetwater has stopped carrying it,) but it is still available new at a few places, and plenty of used ones out there for less than half new.

I found one used that I have been trying out - one of the best digital delays I have heard compared to a number of pedals I have tried. I remember hearing a Boss DD-8 when they came out and that seemed very impressive. I am tempted to try that and choose between the two, but I think the D-Two gives me so much more flexibility. Still figuring out if it is worth having or not compared to a pedal.

10. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

TC Nova Delay . It's not a "mini" as recent pedals, but it's a great sounding pedal. I keep wanting to move to something sexier, or with more bells and whistles, but end up back with it because it just sounds the best.

11. Cpt.Blues

Cpt.Blues TDPRI Member

Belle Epoch for my electric pedal board, and a Boss DD-3 for my acoustic set up.

12. Stain

Stain TDPRI Member

Interested that no one has mentioned the Strymon Timeline. Does a lot of delay types really well, easy to program, 200 presents, easy to use live. Plus a looper.
    The "negatives" - cost & size - are offset by the fact that it does so much that would otherwise require multiple pedals.

13. jhamnett

jhamnett NEW MEMBER! Silver Supporter

14. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I am a confirmed delay junkie ,I don't think I have ever turned my delay off since 1983 :) , and after ...way to many pedals and units (including vintage and $$ tape/tube delays) this ticks all the boxes.....

Give it a try .

15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

ha! I must have half a dozen delays as it is

16. oregomike

oregomike TDPRI Member

I'm about to hi the button for the El Capistan. Love the demos I'm hearing. For digital, I think the Boss DD3 is all you need. Great pedal.

OregonMike

17. 76standard

76standard TDPRI Member

My answer, in terms of a recommendation, depends on a few things. Analog or digital, for example? The difference to my ear is that analog will have a slightly warmer sound. However, several digital pedals have the ability to EQ your output signal. I use a MXR Carbon Copy and covers evening need to do. It is analog and can be purchased new for $125. The BOSS DD-7 is a really good digital delay. If you want to really splurge any of Strymon delays are superb. But, new they are in the $300 range and up depending on which pedal. Also, they have a larger footprint on your pedalboard. Consider a used pedal if your funds are limited. Any of the above can be had used at about a 33% reduction over a new pedal. Good luck. Quest on.

18. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

Get a Flashback and be done with it. I just plug mine in and play. It is versatile and sounds good. Priced well. Or you can spend your days trying to figure out what is the best pedal out there and never figure it out. I have others, Boss and MCR, but use this 90 % of the time. Get something, plug it I and play.

19. Linkslover

Linkslover Tele-Meister

I have an MXR Carbon Copy that I spent $150 to buy new, a TC Electronics Alter Ego that i sorrento around $100 for used and Donner Wave Analog that i bought for about $30 new,.

The Alter Ego does the most different things, but I think I like the cheap Donner pedal the best.

Peace and stay safe,

LL

20. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Echo Plex.
    Yeah, the old one with the tape and the tubes.
    Nothing like it.

bluesholyman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.