1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Delay pedal recommendation?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 6v6t, Nov 9, 2020.

1. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

I tried some mock analog digital delays but got rid of them when I found an old Tokai bucket brigade delay. It’s in a Boss type enclosure and is apparently the same as a DM3. Fat and greasy and sits great in a mix. It’s always on for short slap ambience. DM2W would be very similar I expect.

2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Ibanez ES

I have the older version that's my favourite delay of all time

Norris Vulcan likes this.
  3. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Hi 6V6 I have tried the black Fountain. I found it to be nice enough but nothing I would go out of my way to get. What are you wanting to hear in a delay? Clean clear repeats, long washey repeats, something in between? I really like the boss re-20 for long ambient washes and the stereo memory man with hazarai for most everything else. Good luck with your search.

4. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

the legendary Boss DD-3 or/and TC. electronic/Line6 stuff

5. 6v6t

6v6t TDPRI Member

No. I will try that - good idea!

6. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

I previously owned an Ibanez Mini Analog Delay and currently own a Carbon Copy.

There was a coldness to the Ibanez that I couldn't seem to dial out so I sold it. In hindsight, using that delay with an overdrive sound (amp- or pedal-derived) got me a really interesting chunky sound, somewhat reminiscent of Marc Ribot or Ry Cooder. I kind of miss that sound.

I find the Carbon Copy very user friendly and has a nice warm sound to it. To echo one of the earlier posts, what more do you need?

7. 6v6t

6v6t TDPRI Member

Lots of Carbon Copy fans here. I am looking for a warm, analog tone. I notice the Deluxe model has a preset option.
    What do you all think of the standard vs deluxe?
    Thanks!

8. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic

I’m a fan of the way huge supa puss and have the dulop echoplex handling slap.

For very huge sound put the slap before the drive :)

9. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

Dirt cheap danelectro fab echo gets my vote.

10. Chedmus

Chedmus TDPRI Member

I've had Boss delays but found they lost a bit of top on the way.
    I now use the TC Electronics Flashback which is simple to use and sounds great.
    No significant loss of brightness.

RadioFM74 and houseofnine like this.
  11. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Exactly.
    I went through a few different ones, but when I got the Carbon Copy (as a gift for helping out a friend with more pedals than he can use), my quest for the perfect delay for me was over.

notroHnhoJ likes this.
  12. Big Twang Theory

Big Twang Theory TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Own both and they are great. The standard CC is great for slapback, as it's darker sound doesn't get in the way. For me, the deluxe version is my favorite all around delay. The bright switch and subdivision options really make it. I like the fact that it gives you basically two presets. I use one for quarter notes and one for dotted 8's. Much easier than scrolling through a bunch of presets I don't use. My only complaint is that you can't control the delay level with an expression pedal. So instead I use a wingman (basically you replace the level knob with it and it sticks up so you can nudge it with your foot.)

13. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

Joy digital ironman

14. houseofnine

houseofnine TDPRI Member

I use the Dispatch Master from EarthQuaker Devices. Delay and reverb in one, with small footprint. American made.

dburns likes this.
  15. cosmiccowboy

cosmiccowboy Tele-Afflicted

Great band name :cool:

16. Muadzin

Muadzin TDPRI Member

Except nobody really makes digital rack delays anymore. Rack has been out of fashion since the 90's and even studios are moving more and more into plugins. All the cool ones, like the SDD-3000 or TC-2290, have been out of production for decades. You might get one at a hefty price, but due to their age they would be maintenance queens at this point in time. And I reckon some of the high end digital delay pedals today are as good and capable as those old rack units. For years my TC Nova Delay was my main go to for everything delay. Which is basically as much of a TC-2290 they could stick into a pedal. Including 9 presets. Only thing I missed were some delays that could do crazy ass sounds like oscillation. But I think that's a failing in general of TC, their stuff is good but safe. It never really does dangerous things. Which is why I always used a Line 6 DL-4 or M9 for some of the more crazy delay models.

I much prefer the clean crispness of digital delay. The distortion of analog and tape delays has its place, but never as part of my main sound. And I figured if everyone is chasing the analog delay sound far better for me to stand out of the pack by going with digital delays instead.

17. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I've seen disappointment expressed by people who've bought them, too. I think people can hear the "sun sound" differently, and what seems significant to people that aren't really into it might lead them to think this pedal gets it.
    Keeley has made some great stuff in the past, but so far their DSP stuff is uninteresting to me.

blowtorch likes this.
  18. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I love this purely for the mad scientist aesthetic form factor of it, I've had it on my radar for some time

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  19. JRush

JRush TDPRI Member

My experience with the Carbon Copy was not good. I realize it is a forum darling, but the unit I was shipped had a definite (and undesirable) effect on signal strength. Effect aside, my signal did not sound as good.

I ran for years a TC Electronic Nova Delay - kind of large, but it did pretty much everything I could ever want. Then the Flashback came out. I bought one of the first ones Sweetwater shipped. There was one nuance the Flashback had that the Nova did not, Analog Dry Through, that made all the difference. A/Bing the units side by side over many hours of comparison led to sale of the Nova and I still have the Flashback all these years later.

It is (relatively) inexpensive
    It can be (with the Toneprint app) pretty much any delay
    It is very small
    Sounds great

The v.2 is out with even more features (than my v.1) and they've also come out since with a mini and 4 X version.

[​IMG]

Might give one a try.

ping-ping-clicka and RadioFM74 like this.
  20. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

They are both trying to do the EP3 preamp sound, but the original BE was compromised to fit in the box and hit the price point. Howard designed the deluxe to get the real EP3 preamp sound.

I think the preamp and handling of the dry signal is the most important thing about a delay, because that's your real guitar sound. How it generates the repeat doesn't matter as much to me.

I have the original BE because the deluxe didn't exist yet when I bought it, and it's working for me, but I won't kid myself that I wouldn't be happier with the deluxe.
    I hate to promote it, because I don't like what Nic's mom did to Howard and the crew when she took over CB, and I know the person responsible for the BED will not benefit from sales of it. But I don't know if there's a delay pedal that will handle the guitar's signal better.

RadioFM74 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.