1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Delay pedal recommendation?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 6v6t, Nov 9, 2020.

1. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I like the MXR Carbon Copy.

How do you like the Hot Wired pedal? I have thought of getting it when I get some money, right now its between that and the Paisley Deluxe.

Chief101 likes this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I like 12&18v Maxon ADs, analog with headroom and clarity.
    Not warm, not muddy, not tape like.
    But the repeats do degrade after the first clear ones.
    Just a nice sound and no simulations of broken antiques.
    Simple too!

Also like the later 9v AD999 Pro which has three additional “tape heads” or taps along the BBD chip stages.
    Allows repeats in other than 4/4 time and can sound more like a room with echoes off walls at different distances. Use that more for cleans.

Hobbo and Axegrinder77 like this.
  3. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Something interesting about my BED that I discovered, when comparing delays, is that when I switch it off, there is something very special missing now from the signal. Even if I barely use it for delay, it is always on for the preamp that is in it. I can't do without it anymore.

4. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

Interesting. I've been looking for a delay and was considering getting the Belle Epoch instead of the Deluxe as I don't really desire the additional settings, but don't want to miss any of the good things about the tape part. You mighta just cost me a hundred bucks. :p

bluesholyman likes this.
  5. 6v6t

6v6t TDPRI Member

I like the Hot Wired. Gives me two different tones that can be used separately or together if I need a boost.
    The right side is overdrive and has a blend feature that I like. The left side is distortion (not a metal type but more classic rock and roll).
    If I want heavy metal I can go with the Cmatmods Brownie, although I find that it works great as a pedal for slide guitar.

6. 6v6t

6v6t TDPRI Member

Lots of great suggestions!
    Anyone try the Black Fountain or Crucial Audio Nugget?

7. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I have heard that the Belle Epoch is just as good as the BED but that could be for "tape delay" sounds. I think there is something to the preamp in the BED, just like the EP-3 and if thats what your after, then the Belle Epoch is not going to be exactly the same, but it will still sound great.

I guess if you want delay, then the BE should do fine. If you want the EP-3 preamp "thing", then the BED would be the way to go.

They are not cheap.

cnlbb likes this.
  8. gabeNC

gabeNC TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Another vote for mxr carbon copy. Its almost always on, just kinda fattens up the sound.

I've been watching demos on the Ehx grand canyon. That looks very interesting, might end up being a Christmas present.

matrix likes this.
  9. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

I have a Strymon Capistan for tape delay - pretty glorious. I have an EHX Canyon as my "jack of all trades" delay. It has a lot of wonderful sounds. I keep on thinking I should trade it up to the Grand Canyon.

Also, if you decide you would like the analog sounds of a bucket-brigade delay, keep an eye on AliExpress. I got a very nice hand-soldered unit for around 50 bucks a couple of years back.

10. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

It's always better to get a pedal sooner rather than later.

Telecasterless and bluesholyman like this.
  11. Sequimite

Sequimite Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I have the unsexy TC Electronics Alter Ego with all the Pro Guitar Shop takes on antique mechanical delays. I use the classic 2290 all the time and the odd-ball delays, like the Binson Echorec or Roland Space Echo on occasion.

Tremendous bang for the buck as it is available from time to time for $100. Mine is the x4 which was on sale for $150.

bluesholyman likes this.
  12. Stiles

Stiles Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

telemnemonics likes this.
  13. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I'm tempted to build the Aion Vector kit - it's based on the Deep Blue Delay. "Anaolg voiced digital delay."
    I listened to DBD demos and liked the sound.
    Aion has a good rep for high quality compenents.

https://aionfx.com/project/vector-ambient-delay/

Would be interested to hear if y'all have experience with these.

14. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

For slapback I'm running a Mystery Brain, for other delay I'm using a Malekko Ekko 616 analog delay. Very natural sounding decays and very clean.

Mojohand40 likes this.
  15. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister

Have you tried using the DD7 as your slap back and the Tape Machine for longer delays?

16. aleski

aleski Tele-Meister

The Black Fountain is great in my limited experience, but I probably wouldn't recommend it if the goal is to replace the entire range of the DD-7. It does, though, have a distinct character compared to the Tape Machine. For a more direct replacement, I'd look at something like Dispatch Master by Earthquaker Devices, Cosmonaut by Matthews Effects or ARP-87 by Walrus Audio.

17. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Thanks to this thread, I just spent an hour listening to different Youtube demos and shootouts. Ugh.

EDIT: Incidentally, after all that viewing, I'm leaning toward the JHS 3 Series for $99 (not counting the 10% off at MF).

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    bluesholyman likes this.
  18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Stiles likes this.
  19. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

I have a few, like them all:
    - Boss DD-200: versatile, tone and modulation on all types, like seeing time in mss.
    - Flashback 2: does a bunch of things well enough
    - Foxgear Echosex Baby: only one type (single-head drum) but fits in everywhere, could sub for reverb

Was not impressed with delay in Keeley Caverns v2: modulation rate was too limited, and I found my other delays easier to dial in.

20. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Being the hog for reverb and delay: a follower of King Tubby and friends.
    I own a Boss DM-2, a Boss DD-Giga Delay, tc electronic Flashback delay
    I considered buying the Boss RE-20 Space Echo Pedal, but my DD giga Delay covered the bases
    Boss did an excellent job of engineering the original Roland RE-201 Space Echo Reverb Tape Echo System
    when they created the Boss RE-20 Space Echo Pedal,
    I use Waves Delay units in my DAW as well As the Delay the comes with Reason
    which can be automated in real time for speeding up or down ,increasing the number of echoes up to and including run away delay fx's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.