Delay into distortion, or the reverse?

Thoughtfree

Tele-Holic
Some time ago, Pete Thorn posted a video suggesting that positioning your delay/echo pedal before your distortion/OD pedal gives you a more authentic Ed Van Halen tone. 1970s rock guitarists' tape echo outputs were typically plugged directly into their overdriven amps' inputs; the delays got distorted too. Early Joe Walsh recordings also come to mind.

I've got delay and distortion boxes on a board I'm configuring. Trying it both ways - I am 50-50 about it. What order do you prefer? Thanks.

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
I've always put my coloration effects after distortion. Not saying it's the right way, but I haven't messed with that general philosophy since the early '90s.

DougM

Poster Extraordinaire
I like the sound of delayed distortion, not distorted delay. But, the Echoplex was itself a distortion generator, and added it's own coloration to the delay. It wasn't clean like today's digital delays.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I'm an old ( my age) ' old R&R', old Country, and blues player as opposed to a real rock ( hard rock or metal) guitarist.

so my use of delay ( maybe with an occasional Jimi Hendrix deviation) is always related to Country or rockabilly playing- but I think I get a great, what I'd call ' exaggerated slapback' delay

I only use a few effects, so my OD is first, then either a ' fake Leslie,' or a Tremolo, and a Boss DD-3 delay LAST going into a Fender combo amp w/ Reverb. No effects
loop.
* loosely ( if anyone cares):

-I set Delay for definitely a longer delay time than your typical recommended/short, slapback setting ( I don't know the delay ms time, just use my ear) so you definitely hear a ' 2nd note' when engaging

- I set wet/dry MIX at just under NOON which means delayed note is just about as loud as dry note ( which already has amp Reverb on it)

- Repeats are set to fade after 2-3 repeats

So this is definitely a BIG delay effect used sparingly, but I think it sounds great- very ' effective!' :)

Edit: forgot to mention I always have OD ON ( just control clean/dirty from guitar) so that includes when using delay

Last edited:

Bluego1

Friend of Leo's
I’ve got a delay in my effects loop, so after. But I also have one before my ODs (yes, because of evh), so before;).
Which distortion? Glad you asked:). Best I’ve found for evh (short of shelling out two bills for his pedal) is the Donner Morpher in Classic mode (Suhr Riot clone).

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
My set up is overdrive into echo but the effect is echo into overdrive, because the OD pedal is what overdrives the amp. I guess in reality it's in the middle of 2 gain stages.

Steve 78

Friend of Leo's
I have my delay pedal in front of the amp, and use the amp for distortion. So delay into distortion for me.

edit - here's an example (from about 0:50 onwards).

JDB2

Tele-Afflicted
Having an amp without a useful effects loop but with great OD tones (Fender Prosonic) I got used to having my delay before distortion very quickly. I like it that way. To me it sounds like old school rock & roll. Delay must be applied sparingly, however, by keeping the mix down. Otherwise it sounds like garbage.

I also think delay before distortion works better if you use a naturally "soft" delay rather than a pristine one. My delay is an MXR carbon copy, which is analog bucket-brigade. I have two on my board, one set up primarily for clean tones and one into distortion (with mix set much lower).

mitchfinck

Tele-Holic
Both. I generally run my delay pretty early in the chain but with a fuzz or OD in front. There's always some other kind of OD or dirty boost behind it.

BorderRadio

Doctor of Teleocity
Both as well. Come to think of it, I have dirt in all places in the chain, or at least ability to switch it almost anywhere. Reverse/gated reverb into distortion, yes.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Hmmm... maybe this is why I never can settle on a delay I like?
I need to try delay before OD..... I always figured it would be "less distinct" delay if before, but maybe that's not true....

Last edited:

scottser

Friend of Leo's
Overdrive goes to the amp's input. Delay and verb go into the effects loop otherwise they sound a bit weak and muddy.