Delay In Finding My Delay

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Delay and Reverb are the base of what I consider "my sound" and I have quite a collection of them.

Any one of these would be a great option :cool:

DarkSidePed-large.jpg.auto.jpg h21bjl5mhv2ilftv15kp.jpg hrs04fhqpg8e4cs6gsen.jpg jofkc8pkbe4dvvnhgbtz.jpg DM2W-large.jpg.auto.jpg
p1o8o335otmmcjei1vez.jpg egb61pqbm2p9yix2yhdk.jpg xz0iqezw6zcltnbsp5ty.jpg kfrmkgrfrpu0oamuvqwx.jpg

I use all of them, but I probably spend the most time with the BOSS RV-3 and the RV-6 šŸ„°

20220813_172613495_iOS.jpg

Last edited:

GearGeek01

Tele-Holic
I just bought 3 delays, 2 are new, one is used...

1) Boss RE-2 Space Echo

2) MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe

3) TC Electronic Flashback Delay (version 1)

Source Audio Nemesis Delay

I will save up for the Nemesis... they are out-of-stock at American Musical at the time, but says "more coming soon"....

rojo412

Tele-Meister
So @D_Malone definitely deserves a handshake from me because the Obscura was what I ended up with and I pretty much love it. It has all I could want and wasn't super expensive. The ability to "freak it out" is absolutely perfect and I'm very happy with the purchase.

Many people mentioned the Belle Epoch and I almost took a shot with that a couple of times, as some came up on the low end of the price spectrum. And the Dig did that a couple of times, too (though still a bit rich for my blood). So those 2 will remain on my radar for the future because they seem really cool.
But I am very happy with what the Obscura does.
My only beef is pretty much related to my bad eyes and fat fingers: it's hard to see what the controls read and the stacked knobs are teeny tiny. But as I familiarize myself with it, those 2 factors are melting away. It's a very well designed and functional delay that can pretty much do whatever I'm asking of it without much trouble.

I do appreciate all the insights still and will likely fall further down the rabbit hole with this eventually.

mjcyates

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
I feel like digital is the way to go for me, personally. The analog emulation on most of the digital pedals seems just fine for my level of usage. And I do like the clarity that true digital can afford me.

So with all of this said, the leading real contender for me to try out soon is the Visual Sound Dual Tap Delay. My buddy has it and it's a decent price, with a possible chance to give it back if I don't like it.

The only down side seems to be the size of it. It has pretty much all of the functions I could ask for, but it is rather large.
Does anyone have any experience or advice with regards to this? Because I could meet up with him tomorrow and make this happen.

I used to have one of these. I thought it sounded great and was easy to use. The size is why I got rid of it. It is basically 2 delays in one and I didn't really need that.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
I've been getting a little obsessed with guitar stuff over the past year and while I've found numerous guitars I like and narrowed down an amp search to one that I finally jive with, my last piece of the puzzle seems to be a delay pedal. Yet this seems like a bit of a challenge for me.

- Used to have a Line 6 DL4 and that was like a whole fun thing on its own. But it's huge and I was looking to make things simpler.
- Traded that for a TC Flashback II, which was nice and had some cool features, but still seemed overcomplicated. And to be honest, it had some reliability issues. Sold it.
- Briefly tried an old DOD delay from the 80s and it was too basic. I think I over-corrected there. It worked, but was not enough delay and not as capable for a good "freakout" if I wanted to.

I'd spent the last few weeks hoping for a buddy of mine to check his stash of pedals, but also did research and poured over pretty much every option that wasn't insanely expensive, seeing what may suit me well.
The goal: a delay that is reasonably simple and small for the board, but has a few extra tricks in case you want to get nutty with it.

One pedal I hoped for him to find in his stash was the MXR Carbon Copy. That seemed to be a simple but capable setup. Not super cheap, but not terrible, and very well regarded.
The Donner Yellow Fall seemed to compare to that one pretty well, which caught my eye because it was smaller and cheaper, but still had a good following and good reputation.
Its digital sibling, the Echo square seemed interesting as well, with more modes and only moderately more cash.
Then I saw the TC Electronics Prophet, which was cheap, had a long delay time, and freaked out in a cool, weird way that was different than most other pedals. But they seem to be eternally out of stock and used are going for slightly more than new.

What I failed to take into account with these though, was the fact that I kinda want the ability for tap delay. That always came in handy when I had the DL4. Looking at options though, it changed the game a bit.
The Joyo D-Seed 1 and 2 came to mind, as they seemed to be a good deal on multiple mode delays with tap. Not super huge, but not compact.
My same pedal stash friend showed me a semi-local (hour away) CL listing for a Visual Sound Dual Tap Delay. Looked interesting, but kinda large. Plus, it was a 2 hour round trip, in the midst of gas being at the max, so I basically passed on it as a viable option.
He also had a Vox DelayLab, which again, cool, but basically their version of a DL4 and pretty large and complicated.
Then I came across the Donner RevEcho and that was a pedal that seemed to be this magical, super-cheap, awesomeness. It was almost purchased...

But the pedal that kept calling my name was the MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe. It had both modes of the different MXR CC pedals, plus the tap tempo, plus delay division capabilities. There were even ways it could be saved as different modes! I was kinda smitten, but this was a bit above the budget. I did keep my eyes on things though and when they'd come up on the cheaper side, I would take attention.
Well... I bought one. Good price, like new shape, had to try it as it seemed so perfect for my needs.

I got it and... I don't really like it. I'm actually pretty sure that my tastes over the years have made me quite accustomed to digital delays, so this seems like a bad fit. It works as promised, but I don't think it's for me.

I'm actually kind of thinking about the RevEcho again. Prices just went down further on what I was watching, so even if it isn't ideal for the guitar rig, it may find a home for the bass setup. But it could also win my heart for all I know.
And my buddy ended up buying that Visual Sound Dual when he was out in that area. And he may actually trade me for the MXR, which could make life a little easier than a sale. Despite the size, the features seem pretty nice and match what I want. It would just be a huge pedal to have on (or next to) the pedalboard.

Of course, the whole reason for even typing this is to get some kind of recommendations or guidance in the matter, if at all possible. I'm sure there's a world of options that I have completely looked past for one reason or another. Or maybe I mentioned something that someone would say was the right thing to begin with! I frankly feel like any kind of help would be great.
Boss DD-3 has been a nice one for me.

JohnnyCrash

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
I was going to suggest the Carbon Copy, but you said you didnā€™t like it (everyone likes different things), so my second suggestion is the BOSS RV-6ā€¦

Though, Iā€™m not sure if the expression pedal input jack supports a tap tempo button/box (instead of a volume pedal type Mix/Level control).

I have had an RV-5 for a long time. Itā€™s very digital sounding. The RV-6 is a little warmer, but not as ā€œanalogā€ sounding as my CC.

Maybe the online manual says if the jack supports a tap tempo boxā€¦

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
So @D_Malone definitely deserves a handshake from me because the Obscura was what I ended up with and I pretty much love it.

Glad you're enjoying it!

My only beef is pretty much related to my bad eyes and fat fingers: it's hard to see what the controls read and the stacked knobs are teeny tiny.

The graphics are hideous and the tiny print is a joke. I still love the pedal, regardless.

rojo412

Tele-Meister
I honestly wrote off Digitech for years, believing (from the early 00s) that they were kinda chintzy. My dad has a multi-effect pedal from them which I thought was crap, compared to just about anything else I'd seen of its contemporaries.

But the build quality and functionality of this pedal is 100% legit. After a short time of getting to know what is what on controls, I'm absolutely loving it. So yeah, thanks for the heads up on that!

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
I honestly wrote off Digitech for years, believing (from the early 00s) that they were kinda chintzy. My dad has a multi-effect pedal from them which I thought was crap, compared to just about anything else I'd seen of its contemporaries.

But the build quality and functionality of this pedal is 100% legit. After a short time of getting to know what is what on controls, I'm absolutely loving it. So yeah, thanks for the heads up on that!

Tom Cram was the man behind the Obscura, among many other great pedals around that time, including the amazing (IMO) Carcosa fuzz. He now has his own line called Spiral Electric.

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
Love my Obscura. I tend to be a little clumsy live, and I can only really use one setting, so the intricacies of the Obscura are lost on me, but the tones are fantastic and the infinite repeat features are fantastic.

I genuinely wish that it had a full-wet option so I could use it as a mixing insert more easily. That, and I want to apply its distortion to other sounds. Ahh well. I take what I can get.

tele_pathic

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
One pedal I hoped for him to find in his stash was the MXR Carbon Copy. That seemed to be a simple but capable setup. Not super cheap, but not terrible, and very well regarded.
Even as I read the first lines and first few points of your post, I thought to myself, "the MXR CC is the one for you." And then BAM! You mention it right there. Give up all hope and get one, either the original, or the mini, or even you want something that will get really nutty, the Deluxe Dual delay.

Another one worth looking at is the DOD Rubber Neck. Dead simple but also a couple secondary footswitch functions that are super duper fun...funnn..fuuunnnnnn...

Grateful Ape

Tele-Afflicted
I really liked the Flashback - simple, versatile, good-sounding. I especially liked the Echoplex algorithm. I wish I'd kept it.

Personally, I think losing 10% of the analog vibe but gaining low noise makes a digital emulation of an analog pedal a good choice. I like the Mooer Reecho.

In true analog land, the Supro is great.

I wonder if the EHX Canyon is worth a punt?

december

Tele-Meister
You can't get simple, low-priced, and fancy freakouts all at once. Analog delays by nature are very limited in what they can do, and few have tap tempo. Seymour Duncan Vapor Trails Deluxe is one.
Digital delays are capable of much more versatility and fine-tuning. The Source Audio Nemesis is great. Connect it to your phone with a headphone cable and it has twice as many delay engines (24), every possible tap division and subdivision, pitch-shifting types, flanged, chorused, tremolo, reverse, rhythmic, distortion, bit crush. Tap tempo or BPM or MIDI sync. 128 presets. And hi/low cut controls to fit it in any mix on any instrument.

OneOcean

TDPRI Member
If you liked the Line 6 DL4 but want something in a smaller package, you might like Line 6 Echo Park. It has Tap Tempo with the typical divisors including the popular dotted eighth for all of the Edge-type stuff. While digital, it has three types of delay styles each with its own unique modulation: Tape (Turn up the wow & flutter mod and get freaky), Digital (its chorus modulation is all the chorus I ever needed), and Analog (with a vibrato modulation that should be its own pedal). The pedal also offers stereo inputs and outputs with the modulations adding most of the stereo effects, and three (I think) Delay Settings where the repeats bounce around between the left and right channels: Ping-Pong, Multi 1, and Multi 2 if I recall correctly. By the way, one of those Multi settings does a great job of emulating Nile Rodger's rhythm guitar in Let's Dance. I have two of these pedals usually setting one for slap-back and the other for longer tap-tempo delays. My only complaint is that they can sometimes get a little noisy when they share the same cheap power source as other pedals like with a 1-Spot. A good used Echo Park has also increased in price over the years. I paid around $75 for mine and now they go in the mid $100s.

shibaku

TDPRI Member
I use an MXR Carbon Copy and a Belle Epoch on my board, mainly so I can have access to both slapback and a longer echo without having to mess around with tap tempo or turning knobs. Love them both, although if I had to choose one, I'd choose the Belle Epoch.

One pedal that's worth checking out, though: I use a NUX Atlantic (Delay + Reverb) on my mandolin/acoustic guitar pedalboard. Mine's set up just to fatten the sound up a little bit, but it can do a lot more than I use it for and the sounds are all very usable (tape, analog, and digital delay flavors along with spring, plate, and hall reverb). Especially for less than $150 new.

Edited: meant to add that the Atlantic has a couple of extra tricks that might scratch the "do more sometimes" itch you mentioned. Both footswitches have secondary functions: the delay side does tap tempo / tap division, and the reverb side can do tails and shimmers depending on which algorithm you have switched on.

Last edited:

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
I can't help -- but I can commiserate! I demo'd loads of delays after selling off my "vintage" Ibanez Analog Delay (AD9, as I recall) because I thought its effect, while nice-sounding, was too obvious for me. After working through a whole stack of "great" delays, I chose the Strymon DIG, despite the price, because the dual delays, number of parameters that can be controlled, and range of settings for each was, IMO, by far better than anything else at that point. I was really looking for subtle delay effects, rather than super-obvious Edge-style repeats. End of story... = F-bomb. I never got the sound I wanted. There are all kinds of tweaks to the delayed signal, mix, etc., but even so the result, to my ears, was clearly and obviously an artificial delay. It's a great pedal, and the versatility is amazing, but you've really got to want listeners to be conscious of the delay, IMO -- to notice it -- and that's not for me. Sure, I probably missed some magic combo in my 50-60 hours of working on settings, but if that's the case, I'm not blaming me! I'm back to auditioning complicated analog delays to find one that has a basic voice I like and can tweak, rather than a be-everything delay. I think I'm in the minority of players who just don't want a really assertive, clearly-noticeable effect, while I guess most players do in fact want everyone to hear how altered their sound is.

Mike Fair

NEW MEMBER!
I went through a bunch of highly regarded analog delays before I realized I just didn't like what analog delay did to my guitar tone. They all added a clangy quality I didn't like. Especially the Carbon Copy. Everybody else loves it. I don't.

My search ended with the Earthquaker Dispatch Master. It also has reverb that you can dial in and out independantly. It's really simple. Four knobs - time, repeats, mix, reverb. It's clean but not sterile. In the interest of full disclosure, I also have an EHX Canyon on my board. It does more than I will use in a lifetime.

David Menke

TDPRI Member
I've been getting a little obsessed with guitar stuff over the past year and while I've found numerous guitars I like and narrowed down an amp search to one that I finally jive with, my last piece of the puzzle seems to be a delay pedal. Yet this seems like a bit of a challenge for me.

- Used to have a Line 6 DL4 and that was like a whole fun thing on its own. But it's huge and I was looking to make things simpler.
- Traded that for a TC Flashback II, which was nice and had some cool features, but still seemed overcomplicated. And to be honest, it had some reliability issues. Sold it.
- Briefly tried an old DOD delay from the 80s and it was too basic. I think I over-corrected there. It worked, but was not enough delay and not as capable for a good "freakout" if I wanted to.

I'd spent the last few weeks hoping for a buddy of mine to check his stash of pedals, but also did research and poured over pretty much every option that wasn't insanely expensive, seeing what may suit me well.
The goal: a delay that is reasonably simple and small for the board, but has a few extra tricks in case you want to get nutty with it.

The Donner Yellow Fall seemed to compare to that one pretty well, which caught my eye because it was smaller and cheaper, but still had a good following and good reputation.
Its digital sibling, the Echo square seemed interesting as well, with more modes and only moderately more cash.
Then I saw the TC Electronics Prophet, which was cheap, had a long delay time, and freaked out in a cool, weird way that was different than most other pedals. But they seem to be eternally out of stock and used are going for slightly more than new.

What I failed to take into account with these though, was the fact that I kinda want the ability for tap delay. That always came in handy when I had the DL4. Looking at options though, it changed the game a bit.
The Joyo D-Seed 1 and 2 came to mind, as they seemed to be a good deal on multiple mode delays with tap. Not super huge, but not compact.
My same pedal stash friend showed me a semi-local (hour away) CL listing for a Visual Sound Dual Tap Delay. Looked interesting, but kinda large. Plus, it was a 2 hour round trip, in the midst of gas being at the max, so I basically passed on it as a viable option.
He also had a Vox DelayLab, which again, cool, but basically their version of a DL4 and pretty large and complicated.
Then I came across the Donner RevEcho and that was a pedal that seemed to be this magical, super-cheap, awesomeness. It was almost purchased...

But the pedal that kept calling my name was the MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe. It had both modes of the different MXR CC pedals, plus the tap tempo, plus delay division capabilities. There were even ways it could be saved as different modes! I was kinda smitten, but this was a bit above the budget. I did keep my eyes on things though and when they'd come up on the cheaper side, I would take attention.
Well... I bought one. Good price, like new shape, had to try it as it seemed so perfect for my needs.

I got it and... I don't really like it. I'm actually pretty sure that my tastes over the years have made me quite accustomed to digital delays, so this seems like a bad fit. It works as promised, but I don't think it's for me.

I'm actually kind of thinking about the RevEcho again. Prices just went down further on what I was watching, so even if it isn't ideal for the guitar rig, it may find a home for the bass setup. But it could also win my heart for all I know.
And my buddy ended up buying that Visual Sound Dual when he was out in that area. And he may actually trade me for the MXR, which could make life a little easier than a sale. Despite the size, the features seem pretty nice and match what I want. It would just be a huge pedal to have on (or next to) the pedalboard.

Of course, the whole reason for even typing this is to get some kind of recommendations or guidance in the matter, if at all possible. I'm sure there's a world of options that I have completely looked past for one reason or another. Or maybe I mentioned something that someone would say was the right thing to begin with! I frankly feel like any kind of help would be great.
I have multiple delays, carbon copy, Boss Digital, but something just to give more dimension, and leave on all the time, you may want to check

Ibanez Analog Delay Mini Guitar Pedal​

Price is good, very simple and sounds great.

ENJOY WHAT YOU PURCHASED šŸ˜Š

Last edited: