Delay In Finding My Delay

HootOwlDude

Tele-Meister
Yeah, that looks pretty sweet, but about double my budget at this point. I was stretching it when I got the MXR CCD, in all honesty.
I understand you're budgeted, and I don't want to complicate all the options you're considering, but I'll mention another Strymon--the DIG. With the version twos of Strymon's standalones having been recently released, you can find a version 1 on Reverb that might fall within the upper range of your budget, or maybe a tad more. I got one about a month ago and love it. I mean a whole LOT. The width is ample enough that the tap button is very accessible, and it is a fancier delay that the simpler pedals you mention. It is still very intuitive and sounds just wonderful. At least give them a look. Good luck!

archiemax

Tele-Meister
I've been using this Hotone Binary Eko for quite some time now & I'm lovin' it. What sold me on it is that you can set up TEN presets on it & access them with a couple taps of the toe. Cheap too.
HOTONE BINARY EKO

rojo412

Tele-Meister
I mean, yeah, that Dig is pretty darn sweet. And compared to some of the others, pushing the $200 level isn't terribly bad.

Perhaps part of my reluctance to go much higher on the prices though, is being able to get features that work well for me in pedals that cost less, though they may be bigger or more complicated.
The shiniest example of that currently is the VISION SOUND DUAL DELAY. My buddy has it at a pretty smoking deal ($100 or less). It's completely feature packed and seems to be able to do just about anything I could want. They do retail for much more, so it's no slouch of a pedal.
The only thing is, it's friggin' huge!
I'm already considering a bigger board situation though, as even the smaller pedals I could find wouldn't really fit on what I have as it is. So it may not be super necessary to go as small as I can. This is pretty much the majority of my hesitation.

That said, if money were no problem, I'd definitely have at least a couple of the pedals mentioned here. There's some really awesome pedals I'd never even seen before.

HootOwlDude

Tele-Meister
I mean, yeah, that Dig is pretty darn sweet. And compared to some of the others, pushing the $200 level isn't terribly bad.

Perhaps part of my reluctance to go much higher on the prices though, is being able to get features that work well for me in pedals that cost less, though they may be bigger or more complicated.
The shiniest example of that currently is the VISION SOUND DUAL DELAY. My buddy has it at a pretty smoking deal ($100 or less). It's completely feature packed and seems to be able to do just about anything I could want. They do retail for much more, so it's no slouch of a pedal.
The only thing is, it's friggin' huge!
I'm already considering a bigger board situation though, as even the smaller pedals I could find wouldn't really fit on what I have as it is. So it may not be super necessary to go as small as I can. This is pretty much the majority of my hesitation.

That said, if money were no problem, I'd definitely have at least a couple of the pedals mentioned here. There's some really awesome pedals I'd never even seen before.
I completely understand. When I got the DIG, I admit that spent about $100 more than I usually allow myself for a pedal, but I had been wanting to upgrade my main delay for such a long time that I just went whole hog. It was a pretty fair deal, though. Anyway, you might mind useful this Chords of Orion comparison between the DIG and the NUX Duotime. The NUX, new, is half the price of a new V1 DIG and more than half the price of a new V2. Hope it helps. The Chords of Orion guy does a good job with his demo and review vids.

erratick

Tele-Holic
What delay features are must have for you?

I'm a tap tempo guy, which usually makes the pedal bigger.

I like either digital slapback (which is less of a tap tempo thing) or an analog noise maker.

I'm trying to master the dotted 8th delays and the like with tap tempo. ( )

Because of that, I either use a very simple slapback delay that can do between 30-300ms. Or DOD rubberneck or the things like the space echo re-mixes.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
Ibanez Echoshifter is a great sounding pedal with tap tempo. I sold it to fund the Halo.
NUX pedals sound pretty good.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
This is my favorite. Demedash T120. It does everything nicely. I like a little warble and a scratchy decay.

Sometimes I use El Cap. Sometimes I use Red Panda Context for lush. Sometimes I use Red Witch Binary Star. Sometimes I use and love Asheville Music Tools. But my everyday go to is the Demedash.
1659990334190.jpeg

mystichands

Tele-Meister
The DigiTech Obscura covers a lot of ground and sounds great. It’s discontinued, but can be found used. It has tap tempo, but it only has the one foot switch. You have to switch between tap tempo and on/off. Kind of a pain live. That’s the only con IMO.
I wanted one of those a few years ago, but stumbled upon a used Memory Toy for $40. It’s basic, but has a “modulation “ switch, and can dial in great slap back, and has a good overall sound. Electro Harmonix make good stuff imo.

rojo412

Tele-Meister
There's some fine tastes here, for sure! And the Demedash looks really cool. The fact that the video demo I check out first has a dude doing a rendition of the Ghostbusters theme (to tie into the kind of worn out video cassette I would have actually had as a yout') is almost some kind of sign from the delay deities to look further into that.

For my playing, it's likely either gonna be spacier/arena type echo sounds or doing complete and utter freakouts. I don't play much music which requires a slapback, so it's kinda low on my list of needs.

erratick

Tele-Holic
For my playing, it's likely either gonna be spacier/arena type echo sounds or doing complete and utter freakouts. I don't play much music which requires a slapback, so it's kinda low on my list of needs.

Space Echo or Rubberneck or EP3 copies like belle epoque if you ask me then. Look for that kind of thing.

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
I tried a bunch recently and ended up with a JHS 3 series delay. Just liked how it was voiced, a good all-purpose delay. It will do the crazy analog-style feedback thing if that qualifies as nutty.

Grandy

Tele-Holic
A few things to consider.

Soundwise there's a difference between something like analog Boss DM-2 and their digital DD series pedals. Analogs are usually dark and digital bright.

Dark might be good if you are using it more like a reverb to add space and ambiance. If you want to play to the sound of the delay a dark sounding delay may get lost in a mix, but then again a dark EHX Memory Man has been used that way too. Some delay have a tone knob which can useful, many don't. Many modern digital delays have both, the bright digital delays and emulations of dark analog delays.

Also, some delays do the wild oscillations well, many don't and it's not just about digital vs analog. On the other hand clear repeats 'til infinity can sound cool too.

rojo412

Tele-Meister
I feel like digital is the way to go for me, personally. The analog emulation on most of the digital pedals seems just fine for my level of usage. And I do like the clarity that true digital can afford me.

So with all of this said, the leading real contender for me to try out soon is the Visual Sound Dual Tap Delay. My buddy has it and it's a decent price, with a possible chance to give it back if I don't like it.

The only down side seems to be the size of it. It has pretty much all of the functions I could ask for, but it is rather large.
Does anyone have any experience or advice with regards to this? Because I could meet up with him tomorrow and make this happen.

rojo412

Tele-Meister
Don't all answer at once LOLZ!
(I'm guessing since there isn't a ton on this pedal to begin with, it's not very popular. Not bad per se, but not widely used)

Seriously though, the list of recommendations here has seeped into my head and now I'm basically second-guessing all of what I was thinking to begin with.
- The OBSCURA is kind of my leading contender to a degree. It has the kind of digital I like, with the analog synthesis which sounds really cool. It's small and capable and not crazy expensive.
- The Belle Epoch does some really cool stuff, though only lacks tap tempo. I almost feel I'd be happy without the tap if I have everything that is doing.
- To a similar degree, the Demedash has me intrigued. Plus, it's made in Canada, where my Revv G4 comes from, and I love that pedal, so I could almost see myself having a more Canadian presence on my board. The only one I could possibly consider would be the V1 and likely in kinda beat up shape, but it looks interesting.
- And yes, the DIG V1 sounds pretty awesome. That review against the NUX though, also makes the NUX look rather intriguing. I'm not a huge fan of the displays like that, but it seems you don't need to concentrate on that as much because it has tactile and intuitive interface.

My guess is, no matter what I choose, I'll likely keep going down the rabbit hole over time and end up with other things. So I'm kind of in the boat of "try the Dual Tap, sell it for more if I don't love it, move to the next pedal obsession, rinse, repeat."
Of course, I could just NOT buy that, take a shot with the Obscura I found for not much more, then see how that goes.

OlDefGuy

Tele-Meister
Can’t go wrong with any of the Catalinbread offerings depending on the flavor of delay you are looking for. I always liked the tape echo sound so I ended up with the Belle Epoch. For wierdness their Bicycle Delay seems interesting….
I am getting GAS, so many pedals so little money

rojo412

Tele-Meister
Sometimes I think pedals need to be classified in the same level as some narcotics, because the addiction is kinda nutty!

I did decide to give the Dual Tap a whirl. And frankly, that is a very capable delay. Well, 2 of them, actually. You can run 2 separate and distinct setups, you can double up, it has the modulation control on the one delay, and it's pretty cool. You can do tap tempo AND manual delay on the different sides, if you want to. An interesting example of something it's well versed on would be doing a slap-back rockabilly sound, which then can be run into deep space echo.

That said, I couldn't get the Obscura out of my head. So when I saw a price I couldn't resist, I busted out the credit card and ordered that yesterday. It will be a battle of the 2 different delays here once it shows up and like Highlander, "there can be only one."

Of course, this isn't to say a bunch of the other recommendations listed here won't eventually make their way into my life. The slippery slope of pedal fascination can most certainly develop into the "well, I spent $120, if I sold that and spent $150, it's not that much more" phenomenon that makes its way to "well, I spent $230, if I sold that and spent $300..." pretty quickly.

See, this is what I get for asking questions! I may have been happy with a $54 delay, but that's pretty unlikely now, LOL!

Lef T

Tele-Afflicted
I like this one.
It does everything I need a delay to do.
Easy to use use.
Compact.
Tap tempo
Tone control
Easy to set up subdivisions
4 great presets if you want..

Jakeboy

Tele-Afflicted
I currently have a Boss DM2 analog delay and a Lovepedal Echophonic.
What I really want for home and recording is a true tape delay.