Delay In Finding My Delay

rojo412

Tele-Meister
I've been getting a little obsessed with guitar stuff over the past year and while I've found numerous guitars I like and narrowed down an amp search to one that I finally jive with, my last piece of the puzzle seems to be a delay pedal. Yet this seems like a bit of a challenge for me.

- Used to have a Line 6 DL4 and that was like a whole fun thing on its own. But it's huge and I was looking to make things simpler.
- Traded that for a TC Flashback II, which was nice and had some cool features, but still seemed overcomplicated. And to be honest, it had some reliability issues. Sold it.
- Briefly tried an old DOD delay from the 80s and it was too basic. I think I over-corrected there. It worked, but was not enough delay and not as capable for a good "freakout" if I wanted to.

I'd spent the last few weeks hoping for a buddy of mine to check his stash of pedals, but also did research and poured over pretty much every option that wasn't insanely expensive, seeing what may suit me well.
The goal: a delay that is reasonably simple and small for the board, but has a few extra tricks in case you want to get nutty with it.

One pedal I hoped for him to find in his stash was the MXR Carbon Copy. That seemed to be a simple but capable setup. Not super cheap, but not terrible, and very well regarded.
The Donner Yellow Fall seemed to compare to that one pretty well, which caught my eye because it was smaller and cheaper, but still had a good following and good reputation.
Its digital sibling, the Echo square seemed interesting as well, with more modes and only moderately more cash.
Then I saw the TC Electronics Prophet, which was cheap, had a long delay time, and freaked out in a cool, weird way that was different than most other pedals. But they seem to be eternally out of stock and used are going for slightly more than new.

What I failed to take into account with these though, was the fact that I kinda want the ability for tap delay. That always came in handy when I had the DL4. Looking at options though, it changed the game a bit.
The Joyo D-Seed 1 and 2 came to mind, as they seemed to be a good deal on multiple mode delays with tap. Not super huge, but not compact.
My same pedal stash friend showed me a semi-local (hour away) CL listing for a Visual Sound Dual Tap Delay. Looked interesting, but kinda large. Plus, it was a 2 hour round trip, in the midst of gas being at the max, so I basically passed on it as a viable option.
He also had a Vox DelayLab, which again, cool, but basically their version of a DL4 and pretty large and complicated.
Then I came across the Donner RevEcho and that was a pedal that seemed to be this magical, super-cheap, awesomeness. It was almost purchased...

But the pedal that kept calling my name was the MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe. It had both modes of the different MXR CC pedals, plus the tap tempo, plus delay division capabilities. There were even ways it could be saved as different modes! I was kinda smitten, but this was a bit above the budget. I did keep my eyes on things though and when they'd come up on the cheaper side, I would take attention.
Well... I bought one. Good price, like new shape, had to try it as it seemed so perfect for my needs.

I got it and... I don't really like it. I'm actually pretty sure that my tastes over the years have made me quite accustomed to digital delays, so this seems like a bad fit. It works as promised, but I don't think it's for me.

I'm actually kind of thinking about the RevEcho again. Prices just went down further on what I was watching, so even if it isn't ideal for the guitar rig, it may find a home for the bass setup. But it could also win my heart for all I know.
And my buddy ended up buying that Visual Sound Dual when he was out in that area. And he may actually trade me for the MXR, which could make life a little easier than a sale. Despite the size, the features seem pretty nice and match what I want. It would just be a huge pedal to have on (or next to) the pedalboard.

Of course, the whole reason for even typing this is to get some kind of recommendations or guidance in the matter, if at all possible. I'm sure there's a world of options that I have completely looked past for one reason or another. Or maybe I mentioned something that someone would say was the right thing to begin with! I frankly feel like any kind of help would be great.

kuch

Tele-Afflicted
This is what I use. I'm still working through all of the features but I like what I've tried so far. If you want more detailed info, look it up online. Keeley 30ms double tracker

Good luck in your search

keeley 30ms double tracker.jpg

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Probably bigger footprint/price tag than you’re looking for but the only thing that finally got my Joyo d-Seed (1st gen)…another exceptional delay off my board was a Strymon El Capistan.

rojo412

Tele-Meister
Keeley is cool for what it does, but I'm after more space, longer time.
The Strymon looks awesome, but yeah, I'm probably a few more pedals away from that being on my radar.

rojo412

Tele-Meister
Yeah, that looks pretty sweet, but about double my budget at this point. I was stretching it when I got the MXR CCD, in all honesty.

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
The DigiTech Obscura covers a lot of ground and sounds great. It’s discontinued, but can be found used. It has tap tempo, but it only has the one foot switch. You have to switch between tap tempo and on/off. Kind of a pain live. That’s the only con IMO.

jay4321

Tele-Meister
I have the DD-8 for a catch-all but the best sounding one I have is the Strymon Brigadier. Like all Strymons it's expensive, and I would normally never buy one. But I'm super-sure than they're going to drop this one from the lineup and one day people will be chasing it all over, it's just too good a pedal

Not a fan of the MXR CC

Grandy

Tele-Holic
I'm what someone might call a certified delay nut, I have a few, but my budget is limited. So most of the boutique stuff is out of my reach. I would urge you to check out the DOD Rubberneck delay. It's a little like MXR CCD an then some more. Obscura is nice too. One of my favorites is the old Ibanez DE7 (have 3), no tap tempo though.

What kind of sounds are you looking for and how would you be using one? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood that you like tap tempo, wild self oscillation, simple but more weakable than the standard three knob set up?

Then there are some newish inexpensive delays from Flamma and Mooer that have quite a feature set for the price bracket. They are power hungry though. Make sure your power supply can handle it.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

rojo412

Tele-Meister
So in essence, I don't actually do anything "important" with my guitar playing at the moment, as I'm primarily a bassist. But I've been enjoying learning more on guitar for my own personal satisfaction. On occasion, friends have me record some stuff for their experimental music projects, so I lay down solid bass and mess around with guitar noises for fun. And in the past, the delay pedals have yielded some very fun results for that when I can spin them out of control a bit.
For my own personal playing, I really just need a delay that can add a bit more "atmosphere" than reverb, or something that will be able to emulate the sound of some recordings, just so I can kind of feel that I'm playing the song right. If I'm jamming with others, the more subtle delay is cool in a live setting, but having tap tempo to make sure I can properly time it is just a function I like to have on hand.
To that end, something like the DD7 or RevEcho may do just fine.

But to get a little more experimental, I'd needs something with a few more controls onboard. I guess that's what I'm hoping to find, in essence.

There's no doubt in my mind that something akin to a Strymon or Keeley would be amazing, they are just way more than I'm trying to spend on this effect (though if my history is any indicator, someday I'll get there!).
The Belle Epoch seems pretty damn cool. Though it doesn't have the tap, it seems like it's all kinds of tape-echo awesome on its own. The Obscura does very cool things, I'm actually kind of intrigued by that one.

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
For a small footprint I agree with the Catalinbread Belle Epoch and would add the Catalinbread Echorec and strymon El Capistan. Another small footprint delay I own and love is the Dawner Prince Boonar.

Guitarteach

Doctor of Teleocity
The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm
I really like the versatility of my DD7 but might get a DD200 shortly for the 4 presets option for better use live.

If wanting ti have something small to experiment with a TC Flashback would be on my list.. plenty of delays styles built in and ability to fiddle with an editor and download more. I use a TC Reverb with a toneprint on my function band rig.

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
Sorry it didnt work out for you with TC Flashback II @rojo412 . It is the only delay I use and I love it. Plenty of different types of delay already built in and it is (at least for me) not that hard to use this pedal.
I also use the toneprint to download some additional delay sounds - my favourite one lately is delay modulated with a bit of vibrato which gives my sound a bit of movement.

rojo412

Tele-Meister
Hey, I had fun with the TC, but it essentially was more knob twiddling than I wanted. I never used the looper and was always a little shaky on what the MASH did in various modes. The crystal mode was awesome, I loved that. And yeah, getting the TonePrints were always pretty effective. But we never quite gelled, so it went away.