Delaney Bramlett...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jared Purdy, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Any fans out there? Love the sound of that rhythm section (bet they're not using a Mesa LSS;)) Muscle Shoals all the way.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Delaney and Bonnie were great conduit or touchstone for making a lot good musicians better: Clapton (1st solo album, and Derek and the Dominos), George Harrison, Jerry Garcia and the Dead, Duane Allman, Leon Russell... They played wih all of them and Delaney was a real catalyst on getting Clapton to have the confidence to sing. He also was a hell of a guitar player in his own right: Strat/Tele/Les Paul into modified tweed Champs!

3. Jared Purdy

I'm a huge fan, and have been for many years. He has mojo, rhythm, melody and inspiration. A true producer, in the literal sence of the word. Talented, and to this day, quite unknown, unless you are 50 + years old!

4. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

As I recall, they were modified SF Champs. There was a GP article on DB (back in the 1990s I believe) that provided some info on them.

5. JCSouthpawtele

JCSouthpawtele Friend of Leo's

I'm 36 and have know of his talent since I was young. But then again how many kids at 16 are digging through there dads records and actually reading the back of the cover.

6. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Taking away nothing of the musicianship and soul of the man, I really, truly did not like the musical vibe that the Brits picked up from that whole down home experience. I was seriously POed at Clapton singing Lay Down Sally, which is JJ Cale, so it wasn't just Delaney that influenced him. Even before that, Clapton mentions liking the Band (didn't he hitchhike to their place in Woodstock?), the Loving Spoonful, and the Rascals. So he was definitely warming to American non-blues soul. I'm glad Delaney helped Clapton find his singing voice, but I hated to see Clapton in the back on rhythm guitar. Metaphorically more than literally.

7. jbdrumbo

jbdrumbo Tele-Holic

This is a good high-energy (and I do mean "high" - the nose scratching and jaw grinding variety) clip of D&B and Friends.

Complete with hi-fi speaker scene framing. Right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EOxy3TF3OY

I'd love to own that Tele that Delaney's playing.;)

8. FischlerPromo

FischlerPromo TDPRI Member

I am head of promotions at Magnolia Gold Records..Delaney and Suze Lanier-Bramlett's label.
    That Tele he is playing was given to him by George Harrison and if you had half a million dollars you too could have it... if it was up for sale.

Thanks for keeping Delaney Bramlett's spirit and music a live.

Steve

Delaney R.I.P. Dec. 27th will be 2 yrs since he has been gone...

9. Jared Purdy

I recently picked up the Rhino box set "Delaney and Bonnie and Friends" Great stuff, and nice to have new material to listen to, but "Home" and "Motel Shot" are still my favorites.

10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I think you are right, I remember that too!

There are some cool shots of Delaney B and another guitar player on the "Festival Express" train tour in Canada (with the Band, the Grateful Dead, Janis and others) where both guitar players are on the train's "Jam car" playing gold top Les Pauls and I think Tweed or other Champs- just a great shot, but its very quick. Also Jerry Garcia is shown in a later scene playing George Harrisons's Rosewood Tele (which I think George had given to Delaney)

Edit: think of the folks that played that rosewood Tele:

George H, Delaney B, Jerry G, and I have seen a shot of Duane Allman playing it, wow! probably others too...

11. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

There are clips of Delaney as one of the Shindogs on TV in the '60's. He was bad-a$$ even then!

12. mudshark

mudshark Friend of Leo's

Love Delaney Bramlett's music. Listening to Some Things Coming / Mobius Strip right now.

13. jbdrumbo

jbdrumbo Tele-Holic

Hence the wink about the (rosewood) Tele, Steve.

Delaney was a wonderful musician and bandleader. I s'pose Motel Shot is my favorite of his recordings.

14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

THanks for bringing this up, Jared. I ned to pull some old vinyl out and reminisce (?sp?).
    Re: Clapton playing rhythm....every guitar player needs to do some of this. Clapton probably needed a break from the whole 'Clapton is God' thing, right?
    Re: Clapton and "I was seriously POed at Clapton singing Lay Down Sally, which is JJ Cale, so it wasn't just Delaney that influenced him." WIthout the English taking some American music serously, we wouldn't be listening to the musci we hear today, imo....from the blues, to rockabilly to 'southern' folk/rock like Cale. I have to thank Clapton for bringing J.J. Cale's music to my attention. I was overseas in the USAF, so I was not in contact with that 'outlaw' FM music for awhile, and I missed being exposed to music that wasn't necessarily being pushed by the corporate wags. By the time I got back in 'The World', FM was commercial; so without some exposure from fellow musicians, Cale and some others would never have been known to some of us. FWIW, I have never heard a version of one of Cale's songs that I like better than his originals, but I am glad that some musicians took advantage of his songwriting skills. IMho, taking exception to some musicians' exploration of other musicians' 'territory' is a somewhat limiting attitude. HEy, with that perspective, BAch's music would have died with BAch, right????? I am sure that no one played/plays Bach as Bach would have, but that doesn't negate the validity of someone who might want to perform Bach's music, imo. FWIW, the southern rock band covers of Cale's 'Crazy Mama' and 'They Call me the Breeze' are less
    pleasing to me than is Clapton's version of 'Lay Down Sally'.

15. FirstBassman

FirstBassman Friend of Leo's

16. Jared Purdy

Hey Wally, I tend to like original interpretations of songs, by the composer. And Cale is no exception, he is a master interprter of stories, in musical form. Having said that, I do like, for different reasons, Clapton's renditions of his songs (and the same applies to Marley's I Shot the Sherrif), and to Lynyrd Skynyrd's Call me The Breeze, off One more from the Road, a steller interpretation, and it stands on it's own, but, it's not JJ. The Bach anallogy is a good one. I'm in no position to question the abilities of the musicians who perform in The Academy of Saint Martin in The Fields, one of the best interpretations of the Brandenburg concertos! Besides, I don't think CDs (or vinyl) was around in his day;)

17. skimballc

skimballc TDPRI Member

Well, Clapton wrote "Lay Down Sally", actually, though JJ Cale wrote "After Midnight" and "Cocaine". Clapton did say that Cale was an influence on that song, though.

And, on the original topic.... you gotta check out "To Bonnie from Delaney". Great record, with apprearances by Duane Allman, Jim Dickinson, Little Richard, King Curtis, Sneaky Pete.

18. Jared Purdy

Got it. Yes, It is great. Another great one from that time, also with Allman is Boz Scaggs' first record. Outstanding.

19. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

GREAT band, love 'em!

I also read (as other posters have said) that they were modded champs, which they also used a pre-amps into bandmaster reverbs when playing live.

20. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

skimballc, thanks for the heads-up. Soemthign bothered me about the reference to "Lay Down, Sally", adn as I stated I like Clapton's song (which is in the Cale vein of things) more than I do EC's Cocaine or After Midnight.
    Noone seems to be able to put that laid back J.J. Cale feel into Cale's music as honestly as Cale does it.
    Boz Scagg's first album...genius. Muscle Shoals was the hottest studio in the South at that time, imho.....maybe anywhere. Aretha Franklin recorded there with those fellows at that time, also. IF Boz had never done anything else, that album cements his place in music history, imho. Every musician on that album or in that studio was top flight.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.