Dejavibe

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by superjam144, May 13, 2020.

1. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

Anyone use the Dejavibe, made famous by Robin Trower? How does it stack up next to a MXR Univibe?

Is it worth the price?

MiniDejaCSMK2-large.jpg

Deathray and tah1962 like this.
  2. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I haven’t tried the Deja Vibe but I had an MXR Uni Vibe pedal before. It was too bass heavy for me so I sold it. For reference, I use primarily blackface amps.

superjam144 likes this.
  3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’m no expert or anything, but yes it’s worth it....
    I bought one recently as part of the STIMULUS sale. For 187 shipped, I feel good about it, I won’t be letting it go, even if it might collect some dust at times. For the record, I only played the Micro Vibe, The Depths, a Strymon Mobius, and Boss emulations.

I suppose it comes down to how authentic you want to be. Photocells are required for me, without that it’s just a funky phaser.

4. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I saw Robin Trower live several years ago and the Deja Vibe and a Wah were the only pedals he was using. He used a Plexi into one 4x12 cabinet, and a JCM800 into another 4x12 cabinet. Incredible tone.

5. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I have had a Deja-vibe and didn't care for how it sounded. Ultimately, I ended up with a Digitech Ventura Vibe which I think is a great pedal, and much smaller. I am sure there is an argument for "the Deja-vibe is better than the Ventura Vibe" but for the sound I was after, I preferred the VV.

6. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

In a fit of GAS, about a year ago I splurged and got a Sabbadius Funky Vibe after watching Milstap's awesome YouTube channel. Never looked back. It runs off a different circuit, 24VAC, like the original Uni-vibe.

I did cycle through a Deja Vibe, Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe, and Dunlop Univibe before that. It's just totally different I suppose because of just being a different circuit design, as well as made in Argentina with some NOS parts that are illegal in the states.

It's one of those pedals that every time I turn it on I get lost in a jam. It's the end all for my vibe needs, I don't think I'll ever sell it or look to replace it.

But it's also not great for pedal boards since it needs it's own wall wart and is large. And it's pricey. Yet totally worth it as far as I'm concerned.

At a lower price point, I liked my Microvibe every bit as much as the DejaVibe.

JDB2 and superjam144 like this.
  7. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

I have both the Fulltone Mini DejáVibe 2 and the Robin Trower Overdrive (I'm a big Trower fan). I think they both get me real close to Trower's sound without the amp power.

Deathray, BGLeduc, JDB2 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Churchjack

Churchjack Tele-Meister

I’ve recently got one, replace my Ventura Drive (too many small knobs). I like it a lot! The Digitech was okay, but the Fulltone bests it somewhat.

9. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

I LOVE the Deja Vibe. Sounds to me just like the original as heard on old recordings from Trower, Gilmour, Hendrix. I bought the Deja after first trying an MXR Univibe. I literally played the MXR for 5 minutes before packing it up to return. Didn’t sound at all authentic to me and wasn’t an effect I cared for in its own right. I think it’s the photocells that put the magic in the Deja Vibe. I like it so much I sold my other modulation pedals - it’s all I need.

superjam144 likes this.
  10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've had the mini DejaVibe twice. I discovered it at a small club watching a performer and checking his gear. Although a small place, he was using a Super Reverb in a 3 piece band. Man, that rig with a strat had a sound to die for.... and he wasn't loud.
    When I checked, I realized that all he was using for a pedal was the DJV. It cycles though the highs and fat lows in a manner that gives great tone and some break up/grit.
    I used mine like him, real slow cycle, no wobble.... so it just oozes through the cycle gradually.

I have not tried a Uni Vibe, but wanted to.
    The Deja Vibe used can be had at a good price well below $100.

Now to my experience with it:
    My problem is I always use some OD. This can make the DJV pretty gnarly/garbly when it cycles to the low end fat sound. Even with my OD typically set near 0 gain.
    For lead work the DJV can give you vocal voicing almost like a Wah that is really cool. Really expressive.
    It's a bit of a love hate relationship for me.
    Some people say "do one thing and do it well". Maybe that's the problem, the guy I watched just did the DJV and used it to his best. Me, I'm trying to cover too many sounds and tunes...

superjam144, JDB2 and tah1962 like this.
  11. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I would like to compare the U-Vibe on this cheap Donner to a DJV, but I no longer have one. The Vibe on this is pretty darn good, as are almost all the settings on it. It's the only Tremelo I use now, even though my amps have tremelo/vibrato.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    JDB2 likes this.
  12. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It is MUCH better.

I am talking Mercedes vs Wartburg better ;)

13. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

I use my Deja Vibe both clean and with dirt and love it either way. FWIW I get my overdrive from the amp and use the DV in front. To me it sounds like Bridge of Sighs all the way. I agree that it works best at the lower end of the rate spectrum.

superjam144 and BorderRadio like this.
  14. Highway Chile

Highway Chile TDPRI Member

I’m on my second Dejavibe (the new small one). I also have a large one from the mid-90s that recently stopped working. The Deja is all you need to play Hendrix and Trower. You’ll be too Rolling Stoned for sure. Ymmv.

15. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

Ended up settling for a cheaper alternative. Might regret it, but we will see. As long as it is close, that is fine with me. This pedal seems to pretty decent, and I love EHX pedals. Filling my last spot on the pedal board. Seems to be a good fit, a looper, a delay, a chorus/flange, a vibe, a blues driver, and a wah. Shouldn't need any more pedals... and sometimes I don't even use em', as the clean can be refreshingly simple. Thanks for the info on the deja/mxr!!

rsvcglq9rjcknkq0h1th.jpg

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    BorderRadio likes this.
  16. Luthier Vandros

Luthier Vandros Tele-Holic

I have that model [DJV] and it's delicious. This came at the end of weeks' worth of binge research while the wife was sleeping.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    WilburBufferson and superjam144 like this.
  17. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

Yeah I went back and forth, at the end of the day it might not be identical to the deja sound, but who cares? It seems like a great pedal. The other EHX pedal I bought was a home run... If it gets me in the vibe ballpark, I am happy.

Luthier Vandros likes this.
  18. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

Got the good vibes pedal. Learned a couple Trower parts same day! What a great sound.. Really enjoying having a vibe, took me a long time to find out about them.

Now if only I could really play like Trower!! WOW!

19. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

I’ve got one, it’s awesome!

superjam144 likes this.
  20. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Rock on, man!
    It warms my heart to see someone your age appreciate Trower! He is my #1 guitar idol.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.