DeFacebooked?

GeneB

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
My wife (now a US Citizen) is Japanese and my two younger brothers live in California and Oregon. We use Facebook to exchange photos etc. with each other (we're in Florida). I log in in the morning and usually again at night to see new pics of nieces/nephews etc. It serves it's purpose if you use it that way. I just read a report that millennium use of Facebook is down 50% and TicTok and Youtube have become the new thing with kids.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
I permanently deleted my Facebook account about 4 months ago. I can't imagine going back to that cesspool. I sent a message to the folks I talked to on there saying "I'm deleting this account soon, do you want to keep in touch another way?" I got a few numbers and didn't lose touch with anyone. I requested a download of every photo I'd ever uploaded, too.

The only thing that annoys me slightly is that a few businesses have Facebook as their only online presence, making checking opening hours and gig times awkward sometimes. Overall, though, I don't miss it. It hasn't been good for a long time, and it's getting worse. Some people do react as if I'm in a cult when they ask why I'm not on their timeline anymore. "What do you mean deleted? Do you have a new account? Why not?" More time to make terrible music, says I.
The key for me was removing the app from my phone. Once I did that, I was free. Lol.
I keep the account around for family who still communicate through it (although that is dwindling), and a select few friends who aren’t morons, and have thoughtful or humorous things to share. Haven’t checked back in months though..

Gevalt

Tele-Meister
It's not a free service, unfortunately.
"I am the ultimate product!" -Sigue Sigue Sputnik
"Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard, Just ask. I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS. People just submitted it. I don't know why. They "trust me" Dumb ****s." -Mark Zuckerberg

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
I’ve never been on Facebook and I can’t see any reason why I should be. One of the other guys updates the band’s FB page and I’m happy with that. Some ex-colleagues use FB to organise social things but I rely on friends to let me know when things are happening by more conventional means😀

ChazFromCali

Tele-Meister
I had to have one for work stuff 2013 or so to Jan. 2017.

Used to do background work for TV shows and commercials in the Portland, OR area. FB just was the way they all communicated. Don't have FB, you'd be out of the loop. I hated it.

Soon as I didn't need it anymore I deleted it.

metalicaster

Friend of Leo's
The key for me was removing the app from my phone. Once I did that, I was free. Lol.
I keep the account around for family who still communicate through it (although that is dwindling), and a select few friends who aren’t morons, and have thoughtful or humorous things to share. Haven’t checked back in months though..
I know I have no self control, so I set it to auto-delete in 30 days and nuked my access. No log-in within the time limit, it's gone forever.

I deleted my password from the password manager, and it was some horrendous random string—something generated automatically like:
Z*[email protected]#3sBZkzQQy$oQhyt!NDAXgu*XksWCMUm9SKRBkvNFtr*t4RjV4kjG!4z^gKCDi!o%6ihEVJQE9yjV2khRYLNm25jH9qpAJQyPGGGQXTnsTAP8Q#Z8Xje4rQa^[email protected]%[email protected]@#E!NrBqVA5azABPpeyojdhp23CiE*[email protected]*[email protected]%P^ppQ8yvm3Zy#kT%[email protected]@kfF4dc%R^Kjp3fHVqoiziFntg%*[email protected]^UgmUm9AoAQvFxF%HcC3K7#@xL&[email protected]^[email protected]*YLUw2a8M8Ksuq$n%9F*X8D3v5gxVcjAva6niGtvSysGjG5KGb&7^Fhg6**ocNwmPrs!ck*sKMe2Mf&5ZVNYddQGfYTW5VYpJKEHyQrsuVmHkTCzfW6H^y3YBHyu%[email protected]!RgZVD2*ogJb

There's no way I could guess those, and I removed the 2FA as well, so I couldn't use the "forgot my password" option.

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Toe nanks. Never joined, never will. My wife is on there, and she tells me about the idiots that use it as a soapbox for their political crap.

It seems great for gossip mongers and teens that don’t have anything better to do.

I remember when it first came out, and one of my wife’s friends posted a photo of me. I got right on the phone, and I told her never to post anything about me without my permission!

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
never have seen, been on, or been interested in Facebook , twinter, or any other social meia other than here , no need for it, no use for it,no desire.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Never was on it. I'm not sure if I'd be interested in maintaining a relationship that would depend on just FB communication. Of course the main reason for it is purely altruistic. My life is just so fabulous, adventuresome and fun filled and I look oh so great for my age, that I don't want to make any of my old friends feel bad.😇

mindlobster

Tele-Afflicted
A lot of work contacts and fellow musicians on there, so I still kind of need it. But I use it less often for personal stuff than I used to. Block/friend/unfriend are good tools. I also use groups more than regular mainstream chat these days.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
The only thing that annoys me slightly is that a few businesses have Facebook as their only online presence, making checking opening hours and gig times awkward sometimes.

Unless those businesses have screwed up their FB presence, their pages are public. No account needed to view their content.

Tmcqtele65

Tele-Meister
I left in 2020. They lost my trust when they started putting a thumb on the scale and favoring some speech over other.

My wife and I use MeWe now to message back and forth, share pictures, and such. It's a great platform - I joined a guitar player group and a mountain biking group, and there are nice topic pages one can follow, just doesn't have the "universality" of Facebook.

staxman

Tele-Afflicted
I don't doubt anyone's personal experience with Facebook, but it's an overall positive app for me (no posts deleted, never sent to "Facebook jail", or other negative things mentioned here). My daughter and grandkids live on the opposite coast from me, so it lets me feel closer to their daily lives--same for dear close friends. I also love the moderated music group/communities I interact with. There are many easy ways to control the experience to your personal tastes and preferences. Lastly, I avoid political/controversial topics, groups and posts like the plague. Yes, Facebook can be a "timesuck" if you let it, but so can this forum, tv, etc.

Last edited:

JeffroJones

Tele-Meister
Unless those businesses have screwed up their FB presence, their pages are public. No account needed to view their content.
Yeah, but they might never have touched the default settings, KokoTele.

It happens all the time - the band says: "tour dates on our Facebook page!"
When you go there, its not public, you have to log in.
Which I don't 'cos I'm not a user.
I guess many of their fans are already on Facebook, so no-one notices?

:::