DeFacebooked?

metalicaster

Friend of Leo's
I permanently deleted my Facebook account about 4 months ago. I can't imagine going back to that cesspool. I sent a message to the folks I talked to on there saying "I'm deleting this account soon, do you want to keep in touch another way?" I got a few numbers and didn't lose touch with anyone. I requested a download of every photo I'd ever uploaded, too.

The only thing that annoys me slightly is that a few businesses have Facebook as their only online presence, making checking opening hours and gig times awkward sometimes. Overall, though, I don't miss it. It hasn't been good for a long time, and it's getting worse. Some people do react as if I'm in a cult when they ask why I'm not on their timeline anymore. "What do you mean deleted? Do you have a new account? Why not?" More time to make terrible music, says I.

Last edited:

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I had a Facebook account for a long time. It was a great way to stay in touch with people from all over the country that were either related or old friends who either had moved away, or I had moved away from them.

Over time though, the whole thing changed if you were not of a certain viewpoint your posts would be deleted. In short you could be in lockstep with the views of Facebook, or you could either not post, or leave as I chose to do.

One thing I do miss about Facebook, it was a good place to sell things through their marketplace, but that was not a great enough enticement alone to make me stay.

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
FB is what you make of it. I almost never post anything on my timeline, my last post was in 2012, and I don't read other peoples timelines either unless there is a specific reason. Just don't engage in the BS. I never downloaded the FB app on my phone so I don't get annoying alerts and stuff, I visit the website if I need FB. I use FB groups, marketplace and keep up with businesses, bands and old friends.

Last edited:

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Ad Free Member
I permanently deleted my Facebook account about 4 months ago. I can't imagine going back to that cesspool. I sent a message to the folks I talked to on there saying "I'm deleting this account soon, do you want to keep in touch another way?" I got a few numbers and didn't lose touch with anyone. I requested a download of every photo I'd ever uploaded, too.

The only think that annoys me slightly is that a few businesses have Facebook as their only online presence, making checking opening hours and gig times awkward sometimes. Overall, though, I don't miss it. It hasn't been good for a long time, and it's getting worse. Some people do react as if I'm in a cult when they ask why I'm not on their timeline anymore. "What do you mean deleted? Do you have a new account? Why not?" More time to make terrible music, says I.
Good For You - I have a Facebook Account - rarely post anything to my time line - most keep track of my friends and that's about it. Like @fjblair says - it whatever you make it.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
For every one person who uses Facebook sensibly there must 99 who do not use it sensibly. I have known whole families who nearly went to war over things they posted on Facebook. Once where I worked, two opposing groups met and fought in the street over a dispute that started on Facebook. It's an evil place.

BB

Poster Extraordinaire
Never been a facebooker and probably never will be as my life is so boring, it would be of interest to no one!

It also reeks of voyerism in that you can peek in and see what someones doing without any interaction. At least that's the way my step mom used it! She knew everything about everyone without ever talking to them. Crazy

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Never been a facebooker and probably never will be as my life is so boring, it would be of interest to no one!

It also reeks of voyerism in that you can peek in and see what someones doing without any interaction. At least that's the way my step mom used it! She knew everything about everyone without ever talking to them. Crazy
People who become addicted to Facebook hang on every post. You can't carry on a conversation with them while they have a phone at hand. When an alert goes off, they get a glazed look on their face and immediately respond to Facebook. It's really quite sad to observe.

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
I use it wholeheartedly. It connects me in real time to my family and friends in the USA, Australia, Italy, Mexico and Canada. I get birth/wedding announcements, graduation photos, swimming, karate, field shooting, snomobiling, skiing, snorkeling, date photos and a few great jokes.
I get links to great literature and rewarding causes. I get silly videos that make me chuckle. I also get religious posts from the over pious and political posts which get deleted because they only bring arguments. Marketplace is interesting but many scams and I have neither bought nor sold there.
Also I have a Wordle group there and we share our victories and defeats. Groups of musicians I follow allow me to chat with them on many occasions....Sue Foley, Samantha Fish, Tab Benoit, Larkin Poe, Fea, Hell's Belles, Grace Slick, Josh Smith, Joe B...and more.

I use it and make my own rules. The ads pile on and I keep weeding those out. Very seldom do I buy anything from the ad as the largest percent in the news feed are scams.

I use it and like what I get out of it for free.

Masmus

Tele-Afflicted
I have never used Facebook for anything other than staying in touch with friends. But TD, I do hang on everyone’s posts here.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
Came off it 5 years ago. Really don’t miss it at all. Same with Twitter too, and never really got instagram. So not on that either. As someone said earlier on in the thread, you can either agree with Facebook’s POV, not post anything, or leave. I chose to leave.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Yep, keeping it. Connect with dozens of music fans there. Get news of new gig venues opening up. Meet people I haven't been in touch with for 40 years. Hear about concerts and etc. It is what you make it.
"I'm abandoning my phone, some crank called me!"

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
A few years back my Messenger account started sending out spam to people on my friend list. Deleted the account. Now I've got a new one but I don't use Messenger, I don't accept friend requests, and I don't post anything. Mainly use it for the marketplace and occasionally looking at people from my past.

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member

The only thing that annoys me slightly is that a few businesses have Facebook as their only online presence, making checking opening hours and gig times awkward sometimes. Overall, though, I don't miss it. It hasn't been good for a long time, and it's getting worse. Some people do react as if I'm in a cult when they ask why I'm not on their timeline anymore. "What do you mean deleted? Do you have a new account? Why not?" More time to make terrible music, says I.
I deleted mine in 2020 and I found the same thing, businesses that I do like to follow only have a presence on Facebook.
In fact, it got to be enough of an annoyance that I recreated my account a couple of months ago.
This time though, I did not friend anyone other than the wife and kids and I have not told anyone else I am back either.
I am also not using my name and I have the privacy settings set to keep the account pretty much invisible.
The only thing anyone sees is the Facebook Cover page and the Profile picture and neither one is identifying.

One thing that I have found that I enjoy since being back is Facebook Groups. I am in about 10 music interest groups. 👍
I join the groups and immediately "unfollow" them so they don't show up in my timeline. I then just go to Groups to see the posts when I want to.