Deep Purple or Led Zep? Paice or Bonham?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by homesick345, May 30, 2013.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I love the variety in Zeppelin's music, and yet, they sound like themselves on every album.

2. gandsfjord

gandsfjord Tele-Meister

I had that argument rolling off my....keyboard during the previous post, and then I realized I was contradicting myself. So I just left it there for you. You're welcome ;)

3. Kashmir

Kashmir TDPRI Member

Definitely, apples and oranges. While you cannot ignore the individual strengths of each band member, clearly Page was a musical genius. There are a handful of people that changed and influenced the course of music and equipment history during the 20th century, which Page is clearly a part of. The only other band members that I would consider as great and influential would be the artists of Pink Floyd.

4. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

:D

5. Walker

Walker Tele-Afflicted

When I think of swinging drummers, Ian Paice and John Bonham don't even make the cut. Heck, I think Alex Van Halen swings more than either one of them. But Paice probably had more of a deft touch than Bonham. For swingin', give me Art Blakey.

6. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

You are rite Sir!

7. Tidepoolbay

I agree.

We are all Great!

8. Tidepoolbay

Jazz Drummers kick the @#%$ out of the Rock N Roll drummers.

Do not make me make a list.

9. Jackson Jackson

Jackson Jackson Friend of Leo's

Ringo may be a lefty, but he plays the kit like a righty.

HiHat played with the Right hand Left foot.
    Ride played with the Right hand (on the right side).
    Snare played with the Left Hand.
    Kick played with the Right foot.
    Toms configured Left to Right.

10. Williams

Williams Tele-Meister

Sometimes I hate threads like these because it's so "apples and oranges" and stupid. But, for the sake of argument, I will chime in as well...

John Bonham was the perfect drummer for Led Zeppelin
    Ian Paice was the perfect drummer for Deep Purple
    And while both bands were equally partial to the invention of Heavy Metal and Hard Rock -- setting the two bands against each other is silly and pointless.
    Led Zeppelin was the perfect blend of Rock, Blues, Country, and Folk with very small elements of Jazz (mostly from JPJ).
    Deep Purple was the perfect blend of Rock, Blues, Classical, and Jazz.
    What you have is two different bands with two different styles. Ian Paice's swing style drumming worked perfectly for DP's style of music given Blackmore's sparse guitar and Lord's jazzy/classical organ playing. Likewise, Bonham's heavy handed drumming worked for Led Zep's more heavy, hard hitting sound, which was much more blues based than DPs.
    Jimmy Page is a more complete musician than Blackmore was (at that time). Page was also a great producer and song writer. For Page guitar was simply the pallet for his paintings (compositions). Blackmore is a virtuoso guitarist plain and simple. Blackmore's technique and phrasing solo-wise is far superior to Page's. But for what Page lacks in terms of guitar playing he makes up for in song craft and production.

So....Bonham = hard heavy hitting drummer perfect for blues based hard rock.
    Paice = swing/groove heavy drumming perfect for the improvisational jazzy sound of the band he was in.
    Page = average guitar player (although above average rhythm guitarist), but genius level song writer and producer.
    Blackmore = virtuoso guitar player (although average rhythm guitarist), but average song writer and NOT a producer at all.

That's All Folks...

11. mrBun

mrBun Tele-Meister

I loved both bands growing up.... (Where's the "Why not both" meme when you need it?)

I have some Bonzo outtakes here ... someone sent me these files a few years ago... The thing that amazes me is that I can drop one of his parts on the timeline and it is almost metronome perfect. The dude had an amazing sense of timing.
    Andy Johns did a great job on capturing the magic with limited resources by today's standards.

But the rhythm section in both bands was the key to their power IMO... the "widdley widdley" stuff was just icing.

12. ss192

ss192 Tele-Meister

Yeah!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.