Deep Purple or Led Zep? Paice or Bonham?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by homesick345, May 30, 2013.

1. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

Both great.

2. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Glad we have both.
    I never listen to LZ/ Bonham thinking I wish Ian Paice was on the traps!

3. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

Ohh that's easy for Me. DEEP Purple every day!

AND they are still going strong!:cool:

4. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

True :p

5. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Ginger Baker, Keith Moon, John Bonham, Ian Paice, or Charlie Watts? Who do you prefer?

6. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

I think the real phrase is "I respectfully disagree" but never mind. :rolleyes:

I'm a bassist, so I always side with the bassist I guess. JPJ always said he was happiest when he was closest to JB's bass drum. I cannot think of any LZ tracks where JB swings as much as he provides a basic metronomic framework for the others to work off of. That isn't groove. Listen to Hots On For Nowhere when they go into that funky off-beat rhythm. JB keeps ploughing onwards with this rhyrhm whilst PJ and PJP play this synchopated riff that gets further behind the beat.

I had a bootleg DVD of their Seattle 1977 gig. JP breaks a string on his acoustic so they jam out this weird jazz piece whilst it is sorted out. JB plays this cool jazzy rhythm, but it is not his usual fair by any means.

7. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Ian Paice & Mitch Mitchell - different styles, but these 2 are my all time rock favorites

Despite of the rest being big, gigantic rock names, they don't grab me like these two.

8. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I listened to both bands in the 70s but only ever listen to LZ now. Much wider song catalogue and less dodgy numbers. DP seem a bit rooted in their era especially, as someone else said, with that keyboard sound. LZ songs somehow still seem relevant and fresh.
    Shame that Blackmore never came forward more like Page - that always frustrated me as he was so good and capable of delivering a lot more. And Ginger Baker may be the best rock drummer yet.

9. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

Comparing LZ and DP is too much of an Apples/Oranges scenario for me. I would break down each band thus;

Deep Purple:
    Likes: Introduced neo-classical phrasing to metal, Ian Gillan could hit some brilliant notes, brilliant stage show theatrics, brilliant off-the-cuff live jamming.

Dislikes: Ian Gillan could sing raggedly live, boring protracted noise guitar solos, dull drawn-out organ solos, Roger Glover's bass tone, Roger Glover's lack of groove, Nick Simper, Glenn Hughes' cocain-fuelled falsetto a good whole tone out of tune...

Led Zeppelin:
    Likes: Interesting instrumentation, unique recording setups and tones, cross-genre fusion, a nod towards olde English folk music, invented the best-recognised image for rockstars and guitar heroes everywhere.

Dislikes: Phased timpani soloes, Jimmy Page's heroin-fuelled sloppy technique, Robert Plant's voice post 1973 (including TSRTS live shows where he is rough), overly long violin-bow solos.

10. Telarkaster

Telarkaster Friend of Leo's

I always thought Mitch Mitchell was the best musician in the Jimi Hendrix Experience...

Any love for Ola Brunkert here?

So very weird to see people put down John Bonham and Neil Peart. I guess everyone has a different way of evaluating players.

When I started to play drums I wanted to play like Keith Moon. I didn't realize how sloppy he was, I just liked his playing. It's subjective, you can argue that one guy is technically more proficient than the other but doesn't have the feel or sound you like.

What do I know? I like Meg White...

To answer the OPs question, I prefer LZ overall because of their songs and sound, but DP had great players.

11. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

Deep Purple / Ian Paice by a country mile.....every time!!

12. kelnet

1968/1969
    Shades of Deep Purple & Book of Taliesyn vs. Led Zeppelin I - Hush and Kentucky Woman vs. Good Times Bad Times and Communication Breakdown

Deep Purple vs. Led Zeppelin II - Bird Has Flown vs. Whole Lotta Love

Deep Purple in Rock vs. Led Zeppelin III - Black Night vs. Immigrant Song

Fireball vs. Led IV - The Mule vs. Black Dog, Rock and Roll, Stairway to Heaven, When the Levee Breaks, etc.

1972/1973
    Machine Head vs. Houses of the Holy - Smoke on the Water, Lazy, Space Truckin', etc. vs. D'yer Mak'er

13. kelnet

Uh huh. I thought so. :D

14. Jackson Jackson

Jackson Jackson Friend of Leo's

I meant no disrespect to you as a person, however I can not possibly disagree with the statement "John Bonham did not groove at all" more if my life depended on it.

I certainly agree with you that JPJ had groove, he's one half of my favorite rhythm section. He and Bonham certainly weaved an amazing rhythmic tapestry, and sometimes Bonham played "straighter" time, but to say "John Bonham did not groove at all" is (to me) a ludicrous statement.

His playing on Fool in the Rain, When The Levee Breaks, Trampled Underfoot, Since I've Been Loving You, How Many More Times, etc. doesn't groove?!?!?

Whoa mama!

15. bluemud928

bluemud928 Tele-Meister

bill ward

16. gandsfjord

gandsfjord Tele-Meister

I won't start to compare Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin - love'em both.
    However, regarding the debate of the drummers; a bandmate pointed me towards this clip a couple of months ago:

Deep Purple - Burn​
    What a blistering live performance! Too bad the cameramen / producer didn't realize that this song is as much about the drums as anything else. Shoulda focused visually more on the drummer I think.

PS; Just love the silk suit with the flares. Now where would you get something like that nowadays? On the other hand..... maybe not.

17. kelnet

You know, those Jon Lord solos just sound all the same to me. And the screaming bass player was too much screaming.

18. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

I was never a Deep Purple fan, so I am not familiar with Paice's style. I am all about Zeppelin & always was amazed with Bonham. However, Ginger Baker was & is the master, just ask him.

19. gandsfjord

gandsfjord Tele-Meister

... which illustrates the paradox of famous bands. We want them to sound like themselves - that's the reason we like them - and then they get criticized for having too little variation.

Case in hand; I wathced ZZ Top last year. I thought it was brilliant. The music review in the newspaper gave them a 3 out of 6 : "Too predictable". I mean, really? Expecting some electronica, were they?

20. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Coverdale over Plant, but I will make my final decision after an A Capella sing-off of Buck Owens-Only songs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.