Deep C neck on low cost Telecaster type

Thomthom098

TDPRI Member
Hi all,

Considering customizing a telecaster type guitar a bit (wiring, pickups mainly) and would start from a good quality / efficient cost design like the Harley Benton TE-52 vintage (so many people praise this model against its cost) as I can't seem to authorize myself to modify higher cost guitars like Fenders or Gibsons. Now to me, the most important is to find a neck I like, that really is the part in the guitar that matters the most. I have quite large hands and even though I enjoy playing squires for example (quite thin necks) or a Les Paul Traditional (with a huge XXL neck), I really have the best feeling / pleasure on a Fender Telecaster US 2019 which has a nice roundish full Deep C neck. So that is what I would like to find on a low cost guitar.

Do you guys know of such a guitar i.e. Telecaster ergonomics with a Deep C neck for say less than 200 USD/Eu. ?

Thanks,
Keep Rocking !

Last edited:

viking

Friend of Leo's
On my HB Tele , the neck isnt interchangeable with a Fender neck. Its a slightly different model , but check it out

Thomthom098

TDPRI Member
On my HB Tele , the neck isnt interchangeable with a Fender neck. Its a slightly different model , but check it out
Thanks, which model do you have ? Is it described as a C neck on Thomann for example ?

Thomthom098

TDPRI Member
This review, around 6:00 time, actually says the HB has "quite a chuncky neck, not as fat as the Fender U-shaped Amercian Original 50's" - so it might well be what I am after... hmmmm

viking

Friend of Leo's
Mine is the Shell Pink one with roasted Maple neck , ......A TE-62
Fender neck isnt wide enough at the pocket , and also not as tall in the pocket as the HB neck

The HB neck is pretty good , minor fretwork was needed on mine....Its a rather ordinary profile , I just play the things , and cant really feel any differences in profile , apart from something V shaped.

Its not a thin neck to me , but others might disagree. It feels like a middle of the road profile to me.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Try a WD neck. I got one a while back, and it was just fat enough to be fun without being a Louisville Slugger. They make a nice Tele neck with an ebony fingerboard for $120 or so delivered. Poke around Amazon and Reverb and you'll find one.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Hi all,

Considering customizing a telecaster type guitar a bit (wiring, pickups mainly) and would start from a good quality / efficient cost design like the Harley Benton TE-52 vintage (so many people praise this model against its cost) as I can't seem to authorize myself to modify higher cost guitars like Fenders or Gibsons. Now to me, the most important is to find a neck I like, that really is the part in the guitar that matters the most. I have quite large hands and even though I enjoy playing squires for example (quite thin necks) or a Les Paul Traditional (with a huge XXL neck), I really have the best feeling / pleasure on a Fender Telecaster US 2019 which has a nice roundish full Deep C neck. So that is what I would like to find on a low cost guitar.

Do you guys know of such a guitar i.e. Telecaster ergonomics with a Deep C neck for say less than 200 USD/Eu. ?

Thanks,
Keep Rocking !
Be careful, the HBenton and some similar guitars have a 2.25 wide neck at the pocket. The Fender and most others are 2.19. Unless you like a 1/16" gap! I don't know about all the HB's though.

Thomthom098

TDPRI Member
Bon, I gave further thoughts to this. The Harley Bentons are out then for neck pocket incompatibility. This leaves me with trying to find the cheapest possible telecaster basis (second hand Squire or even body only) to upgrade with nice deep round neck and pickups for sounds I am after. Issue is I can't seem to find adds for such second hand cheap Squires... all the adds I see show almost as expansive as new as people have typically modified them here and there (pickups typically) and justify higher price with it

Neck I see two possibilities:
- Fender Telecaster American Professional II - Deep C but only 42.8 mm nut width, 472 Eu. (ouch)
- Musikraft - C 90-99 with 44.5 mm nut width. Roasted maple with bone nut and oil finish, reaches 430 USD so not far in fact... but nice chunkier profile and wider nut that I'd love. Maybe the roasted option is not needed, and I can install / trim the nut myself, that would bring cost down a bit to 300 USD

For pickups, I will be after 3 off. (love Strat sound and expect beefier tone / sustain from hard tail Tele construction to give me something slightly different that I'll love even more) with a 5 position selector and a switch to get 7 positions from the Nashville Tele setup: I really am after positions 4 and 5 for cleans & barely crunching and positions 1 and 2 for heavy

Which makes me wonder..., the Nashville tele had some good features (pickups, lock tuners, body cavity for 3 pickups already...) as a basis and is not that expansive at 980 Eu. - all it would need is the neck replacement in the end and then maybe pickup replacement if needed but the basis seems quite good to me. Replace bridge only maybe with a Seymour Hot Rail for ex. for heavy

I guess that's 980 + say 300 Eu. project before pickup upgrade. Unless I can find a really cheap Squire body...

Interested in all thoughts :)