1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Dedicated voltage meters on equipment? Anyone doing this?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 4pickupguy, Feb 27, 2021.

1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Man as cheap as these are on Amazon, Why not? I got one to mount in my mothership board and one for my ‘68 Custom Deluxe/Powered cab’s power strip. The board has a protected power supply but not a power conditioner. These things were about $14 bucks each. I do plan on getting a serious power supply for my rig but those are a bit pricier... later I can put these on something else.

FD60FEFE-F772-4DC8-90F2-4097A542C6B5.jpeg 49DA54A0-C268-41F4-9528-F66B7AC5F17B.jpeg

zippofan and Midnighttoil like this.
  2. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

3. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

I've done a VU meter in a pedal before .... tbh that was a total "money talks" moment ... this is just short bus special

4. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

What problem would it solve?

5. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I do this for my amp specifically, but the pedals are also downstream from the Variac so they end up at same voltage as the amp. In Florida, I have seen voltage run as high as 125v and as low as 110v or so. Today we are at 112v and I'll tweak it up to 115v where I like to run the amp at. The analog VU meter and the number on that dial are meaningless, so I use the digital readout for convenience.

I do this because voltages outside a certain window start to affect the sound/feel of the [tube] amp and how it performs. I don't know all the details but higher voltages on the line means higher voltages from the rectifier and to the power tubes - their response changes.

I don't care as much about it for pedal boards but its all powered through the variac.

404BCA57-4CD7-4BEE-9F12-C87B47ACA190.jpeg

4pickupguy and zippofan like this.
  6. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

I am not familiar with these cheap Amazon gadgets, but I am correct that you basically have to cut the power cord (or hack in somewhere) of your guitar amplifier and insert this between the electrical outlet and the amplifier?

7. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

On the one shown above, yes. You can buy devices that plug in between your amp/wall and it will do the same thing, but they cost a bit more - search for "electricity usage meter" and you'll find a bunch of things on the 'Zon.

8. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I put one on the light bulb limiter that I built. The limiter has a fused IEC inlet, with a 5A fuse. The volt/ammeter is always inline with the mains input, and I have an on-off-on DPDT switch that will switch the bulb in or out of the circuit, off kills the output completely.

4pickupguy likes this.
  9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, this is where I am eventually headed. The volt meter is for knowing if voltage is high or not for now. I will mount one to my solder station panel when I get a regulator.

bluesholyman likes this.
  10. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

we just had a big loooooonnnnngggg discussion about power supplies recently. And I recall a couple of home-built units had what I'm guessing were digital voltage meters on them. Very cool in a steam-punk kinda way. Not sure what the purpose was though.

I could think of a couple areas of a tube amp circuit that I wouldn't mind having real-time information on though. But it seems like a hassle to make it happen.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.