1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Dedicated pedals or a modeler?

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Digiplay, Apr 17, 2021.

Do you prefer dedicated f/x pedals or a modeler?

1. 1) Dedicated pedals.

70 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. 2) Multi-effects floorboard processor devices.

21 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. NorthenLights

NorthenLights Tele-Meister

This is a forum dedicated to the OG electric, the ultimate old geezer guitar. Of course we prefer our effects the old fashion way as well.

ooglybong and northernguitar like this.
  2. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I like both, but I prefer building a pedalboard. Ive just been hired for a country show. I was going to put together a little board (tuner, overdrive, compressor, delay) but I’m wondering whether I pull out the old zoom g2 and programme slots 1-30 with the settings for each song.

3. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

I use an old Digitech RP500. With a little time up front, I can set up as many "pedalboards" as I want. There are tons of dirt, reverb, delay, modulation, and compressor pedals on tap, and it's easy to tweak any of them in the software. I have 4 or 5 setups, mostly with different modulations to choose from. If I want the octaver instead of the trem, it's within 3 clicks - everything else stays the same. Where it falls down is tweaking in real time - you need a flashlight and reading glasses.

Because of that, I'll probably check out the Line 6 HX Effects. As far as I can tell, it's far easier to adjust on the fly - much more like a "real" pedal board. Pricey, but so is a bunch of pedals. I'd like to know more about the reliability of those units, because, as they say, if one pedal goes down, you take it out of the chain. If your MFX goes down, you're screwed. "Screwed" means playing directly through your amp, which shouldn't really be such a horror, right?

dlew919 likes this.
  4. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Meister

I like pedals, because building a pedalboard is so much fun ;)
    [​IMG]

knockeduptele and northernguitar like this.
  5. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I find it’s a little like this

[​IMG]

Tele-friend likes this.
  6. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Multi-effects pedals are cool for everything but Overdrive. I have never been able to get an overdrive sound that works with all the other effects settings. Always had to use a separate od pedal to keep the right volume balance and effects mix.

7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I've been disappointed with a number of all-in-one multi-effects units in the past. This is mainly due to weak amp/cab models, fixed effect placement and neutering of a guitar's tone. Therefore, I've stuck with multiple pedals with either real amps (or amp only modeling pedals) and IR cabinets.

However, there are some new generation multi-effects units that have caught my eye recently.

The first are multi-modulation pedals, such as the Strymon Mobius, Eventide H9 and Boss MD-500. I find that while my compressor, drive and delay/reverb setup is pretty static, I swap out modulation pedals a lot. Plus, most of my modulation pedals are cheap Chinese mini pedals.

The other are all-in-one units, like the Valeton GP 100, that allow flexible effects chains and third party IR loading. This would work really well for me should I start traveling for business again anytime soon. No more trying to figure out what to bring on a 1 to 2 week long trip.

dlew919 likes this.
  8. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

So there's the thing, IMO multieffects are not as good as top shelf individual pedals, however they make using multiple pedals easier with all the routing options (like Helix)

It may be entirely subjective, right up there with "tone wood" but when I get done with the helix and use good quality individual pedals they sound better to me, just as the real 5E3 I own sounds better than the model of the 5E3 in the Helix.

I don't even have the words to describe it other than one is better to me, there's more there there.

chris m., 41144 and northernguitar like this.
  9. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I’ve yet to hear satisfying distortion from an affordable modeller. My former lead had an AXE, and it sounded great, but also came with a hefty price tag. My weekend with a Helix did not yield such results.

10. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Agreed. The modulation and time effects work fine on a multi, but I have yet to play through one where the overdrive settings would play nice with the rest of the unit. After buying 3 different models, where I needed to add my own overdrive pedal, I just went back to individual pedals.

chris m. and northernguitar like this.
  11. paulhealey

paulhealey TDPRI Member

I’m a bedroom player. I have four pedals, none of which were super expensive (OD, delay, distortion, envelope). I had to try a few to get what I want but I flip them if I need to. It’s simple and works for me. I’ve seen some great players who tour with those modelers and see the appeal. Compact. Lots of options. If you play one style of gig one night and need a new rig the next punch it up. I think years ago it was a quality issue but that’s more or less gone, now it’s a “what works best for you issue”.

12. Muadzin

Muadzin Tele-Meister

I was ALL about the big pedal boards. Love to switch things up, re-arrange things, try new stuff. But, by God, nothing will suck the soul and cheer and fun out of your gig when you're linechanging on a tight schedule and Murphy decided to throw a wrench into your pedal board. And silence! When that panic sets in and you start your race against the clock to find out where the problem. Which jack has gotten lose, which cable or pedal decided to crap out on you, which switch is in an on position which shoudn't? I've had it happen to me way too many times, and I've seen it happening to others.

In the end its all about fighting the Murph. The more complicated your rig becomes, the bigger the chance something will go wrong at the worst possible moment. And life on the road presents an endless amounts of stress on your complicated rig. Constant handling left and right, vibrations that can make jacks and screws go lose, all opportunities for Murphy to throw a wrench into your works. Whereas the modeler is a one in a box system. Like any system it can break, but its an all in one system, like a pedal. Whereas your board is a collection of systems. And like with any chain, it only takes a weak link to break. The modeler will experience less failures then the average pedal board. And you what, the average member of your audience will NEVER EVER hear the difference between your $5000 Klon original, a $20 Behringer overdrive or a digital one. 99% of the time they will ignore you to focus on your singer. The harder you make it for yourself out of tone purism, that just added logistics and hassle for YOU. There is no payoff to your band as a whole. If you're a gigging musician with more then a couple of pedals, my advice would be to use a modeler. If it doesn't sound as nice as your expensive pedals, who cares but you? Just learn to gig with it and save the really beautiful pedal board with the nice pedals for the bedroom. Where its stationary and thus will experience no touring stress.

kLyon, ooglybong and Frodebro like this.
  13. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

While there’s nothing wrong with multi-effect devices...

I don’t want 100 digital variations of 200 different overdrives. I want the one or two specific models that cycle through my pedalboard.

Replace the word “overdrive” with “phase shifter”, “boost”, “Wah”, “fuzz”, “delay”, etc., and the sentence holds true.

northernguitar likes this.
  14. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

The answer is always both.

kLyon, ooglybong and Frodebro like this.
  15. brown2bob

brown2bob TDPRI Member

If it sounds good... either is fine!

16. Retired Schmuck

Retired Schmuck TDPRI Member

I use both single pedals, such as a Boss LS-2 Line Selector, TU-3 Tuner, OD-200 Overdrive, DM-2W Delay, OC-5 Octave, MD-500 Modulation, CP-1X Compressor, DD-200 Delay, OD-200 Hybrid Drive, RC-500 Loop Station, VE-500 Vocal Performer (Includes Vocoder), EV-5 Expression Pedal, FS-7 Footswitch, GA-FC Footswitch, WL-T Wireless, and two GT-1000's.

17. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's

Twinkle toes.

18. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

Both. I prefer analog drive pedals and have an analog phaser that I love. But I also have a Digitech EX7 and Synth Wah, and a Source Audio Nemesis (multi effects as far as I'm concerned, since each does a huge variety of things) on my board.

19. markal

markal Tele-Afflicted

I’ve never tried a processor and I’m not terribly interested. I can usually get what I want/need from a handful of pedals.

20. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

I love real pedals, build most of my own. That being said, I keep a zoom ms-50g on my board as well. I use it as a tuner, to cover a few reverbs, and have patches setup with an amp/cab sim in case I don't want to pack an amp or if my amp fizzles. These days you could easily make the case that in a mix the modeling board will sound just as good as individual pedals, but there's something I just enjoy about the real thing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.