1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Dedicated pedals or a modeler?

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Digiplay, Apr 17, 2021.

Do you prefer dedicated f/x pedals or a modeler?

1. 1) Dedicated pedals.

70 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. 2) Multi-effects floorboard processor devices.

21 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Do more of you prefer the "real thing" effects pedals, or multi-effects floorboard processor devices such as the Line 6 Helix, Boss GT-1000, Fractal FM3, etc.?

Old Plank likes this.
  2. Refugee

Refugee Tele-Meister

Chose 1, but I bet I could make good use of a GT-1000 or...Just don't have one now.

radiocaster likes this.
  3. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

If you go buffet style you can get the exact version of the effect that you like on your board. If you buy a multi effect, you’re at the mercy of what they think you want.

4. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I love pedals. Building a custom board has been a great joy.

5. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

Thats a tough question. If I need one certain sound, their are some standalone pedals and preamp circuits that do a good job.

If I want access to many amps, cabs, and mic options, Im going for a Helix or the like.

ooglybong likes this.
  6. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

Multi-fx for convenience. It’s good enough for Johnny Marr.

7. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Maguchi likes this.
  8. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

The best thing about pedals is buying and trying new ones. I started with relatively cheap pedals and upgraded about once a week or two. I would get a pedal, A/B it against the existing, and sell the one I liked less. That way I have tried many, many pedals and built a board I really like.

northernguitar and cyclopean like this.
  9. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

Johnny Marr has also historically not been a particularly heavy user of effects.

10. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Multi fx tend to be all digital. I prefer analog 9 out of 10 times.

If you want to collect iconic pieces of history, spending your time and hard earned cash on things to stomp on, it's no choice. Go pedals.

That said. Modeling has and continues to improve. There's also a convenience to multi fx. Specifically, being able to bank settings and stacks and recall them.

I like analog though. It just sounds and feels right to me.

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I prefer a multi effects processor, though I very rarely use mine.
    Any more than three pedals is a hassle waiting to happen, IMO.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  12. runstendt

runstendt Tele-Meister

I usually play through an amp modeler direct into the board, but depending on what I'm using decides if I want a multi-effect or series of stomp boxed. For instance, right now my gigging rig is pretty much just a TC Helicon VoiceLive 3, so I'm firmly in the multi-effects camp. However, I also have a pedalboard built around using the amp models on an Adrenalinn III, which I use single effect pedals with to expand the range of sounds. I'm going to start putting together a new pedalboard based around a Blackstar HT-Dual (still waiting for it to come in), so I think I'll drift back into stomp-box territory pretty soon.

IMHO, a multi-effect pedal is easier to set up and has much less wires to deal with, but if something goes wrong the entire signal chain is affected, whereas with a stomp box it's easier to isolate and troubleshoot a problem.

mmannaxx likes this.
  13. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

hows about a third choice both, not everything is yin or yang, he/she, 0 or 1.

ooglybong, JunebugJones and chris m. like this.
  14. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

At the top-end (no personal experience but something like the Boss GT1000) no doubt they're as good as the individual pedals.

I started out with a Zoom G3X, which was great for a starting point and trying different fx out.

But, by having a pedal board I can mix and match the makes and models I now want.

15. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

Pedals. But I could happily live with just my delay and klon style pedal.

Maguchi likes this.
  16. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

I used various multi-effects (Rocktron ProGAP, Boss ME-5, Rocktron Chameleon, Alesis Midiverb II, Roland GP8) for a long time, when I had a rack system. I had like a thousand variations, but realized that I only need around 4 main sounds (clean, break-up, slight overdrive, lead). Plus some wobble, delay, reverb and quaka-quaka (that's our singer's name for my wah-pedal)
    My amp provides me with a cleantone and a crunchsound I absolutely love. I prefer pedals to get different shades on these basic sounds.
    Multi-effects tend to somehow drown the original sound too much for my taste. Whenever I used them, I always found myself dialing the effects-ratio down and heavily tweaking the parameters to maintain my sound.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  17. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I love pedals, but a multi-effect is more practical for me.

I can get good sounds out of either. Maybe I prefer pedals a bit more, but they’re more of a hassle/rabbit hole. I tend to play more and gear chase less with a multi-effect.

18. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

Home recording - individual pedals.

Live use - MFX. Mainly because I often find myself needing to switch multiple effects on or off at the same time, and the convenience of going from patch 2A to 2B is really nice.

ce24 and ooglybong like this.
  19. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

6EEDF07F-E48E-46BC-9050-CF4BCA4769C7.jpeg I just ordered a Boss MD-200 so I won’t have to choose between all of my mod pedals. I really like the BF-3, PH-3 and the Danelectro Cool Cat which I’m told is a CE-2 clone so I have high hopes. Now will it replace the Small Stone, Bad Stone, Univibe and others? We’ll see.

20. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I love seeing all the controls in front of me, and prefer physical knobs and switches. I find working with cursor windows to be frustrating, especially when tweaking two effects that are engaged at the same time.

TokyoPortrait and Maguchi like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.