Decisions, decisions

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Jerseymont, Sep 16, 2020 at 9:15 PM.

1. Jerseymont

Jerseymont TDPRI Member

I’m new to this forum, but hoping to join for awhile. Been waiting a loong time to get a tele, and now I can’t decide. I’m hoping someone can offer some insights. I hate buying without trying, but that’s life right now. I have a choice between a 2006 60th anniversary and a 1992 standard. Both are around $1000, and both are in very good/mint condition (the 2006 has extremely low wear and tear). The 1992 has some significance (son was born that year), but not crazy about the color (red). I have no idea about the differences in playability, tonal characteristics or even specs between these two. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

WalthamMoosical and Boreas like this.
  2. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Afflicted

Welcome to TDPRI!

I am not sure it relates to the '92 standard but the size of the frets may have changed between those two eras. You may prefer one over the other. I tend to prefer the jumbo style to the vintage. YMMV.

3. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Meister

I had a std am '88 tele. I didn't like the pickups, and ended up replacing them. I don't know what pickups are in these 2 models, but I would find out, if it were me.

4. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted

Have you considered the new Vintera series teles?

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  5. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I would prefer the 1992, but if the color is not inspiring to you, then you will never like it. I have learned that the hard way a few times after thinking I would come to like the color only to sell it off later.

There are a lot of options out there and it is a buyer's market right now, so you can be patient. Any American Standard Tele will be a good player that you will enjoy for years, so stay with those and pick the color you like. Everything else can be changed out down the road if desired.

M2roadwarrior and Cali Dude like this.
  6. Jerseymont

Jerseymont TDPRI Member

Thanks for the thoughts. Would you say the prices are reasonable for both?

7. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Holic

I understand where you are coming from, but if you are new to Teles, try to play a few different ones before you buy anything. If that means you have to wait, then wait. You may find out you hate the feel of Teles. They aren't everyone's cup of tea. It sounds like you may be rushing your decision.

M2roadwarrior and Cali Dude like this.
  8. Jerseymont

Jerseymont TDPRI Member

I am totally rushing the decision. Well,sort of. I’ve longed for a tele since 1978 (I blame Springsteen). I’ve played a bunch, but never taking notice of models or years as I couldn’t afford em. I will try to go slow, but the itch is there!
    Thanks again for the advice, and I look forward to getting to kmow this forum!

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  9. M2roadwarrior

M2roadwarrior Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I bought my first Tele sight unseen back in November, was the second electric guitar I ever bought. Didn’t know enough about them but did a little research on YouTube and lots of people raved about the value of the made in Mexico models so I bought a beautiful player series in orange! Sure enough I fell in love with it and teles and fender for that matter. Since, I bought a GE Smith Tele and a tweed blues jr, also have a custom Tele being built as I type this!! Any way if you don’t care where it’s made the player series Tele is one of the sweetest guitars made and I think it’s less than 700 , no case though, bought a tweed gator for it for around 150
    No matter what you get, teles are awesome!

33Jayman likes this.
  10. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

I'd find out the weights of each. And also if they have similar necks, i.e. rosewood fretboard, or plain. Other than that, and not really liking red so much, I vote for the Anniversary.

11. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Meister

Pay very, very close attention to all aspects of the neck....neck profile/shape, neck radius, fret width/height, neck material.

A lot of folks will get turned on/off the 7.25" radius of vintage necks (I prefer 9.50 or higher).

A lot of folks will get turned on/off of tall frets (I prefer lower frets).

A lot of folks will get turned on/off thick baseball bat necks (I love 'em).

(I put my own likings in parentheses above to make a point, as loving a guitar is very personal!)

Without knowing any further details it sounds like the prospects of the Anniversary edition is what you want. Heck, it's 14 years younger as well and it's not red!

Also ... I completely understand the times we are in. I purchased a brand new guitar, sight unseen, back in May. No regrets at all, it's my number 1 guitar (out of 3). Go for it, the odds are in your favor.

33Jayman likes this.
  12. Jerseymont

Jerseymont TDPRI Member

Yeah, the neck profile being key makes sense. Thanks. I believe they both have the 9.5 radius, I think I read the anniversary had a thicker neck, but that may have been the 2011 anniversary one? Does anyone know why they have two 60th anniversaries (2006 and 2011)?

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

First, let me welcome you!

Now, the "bad" news. There's a wide variety of 2006 and 2011 Fenders called "Anniversary" and it can mean a special features offering exclusive to one of those years, or it can mean a greedy vendor who will call any 2006 or 2011 they are selling "Anniversary" whether it is identical to a 2005, 2007, 2010 or 2012 Fender guitar. So, we need to whoa you down.

The next thing you can do is use the Search function here and dig through all the posts about these guitars, and also check out the "Club" section at TDPRI as some of these models have special groups of participants who own some or most or even all these models - they can give you a ton of detail.

Hoping you can get some entertainment out of the quest to learn more about these, rather than buying in a rush. I'm not saying that some of these aren't worth a grand - to me. Let me say it this way: Some I'd be excited to own, around that price and some of the others, been there and done that (and for a lot less money). We're looking at a bubble right now, I say.

14. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

Be very, very careful here. This is the best worst buncha folks around when it comes to acquiring gear! One's too many and a hundred ain't enough!

15. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

100%. Well said.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.