Decision made - replacing a Marshall Origin 20. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by marc2211, Mar 15, 2020.

1. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

So, my current rig for the last year has been as follows:

- Marshall Origin 20 Head
    - 1x12 Vintage 30 cab
    - 2x12 Vintage 30 cab

My main pedals are:

- Wampler Plexi Drive
    - Fulltone Soulbender
    - EHX Neo Clone chorus
    - MXR Phase 90
    - Vox Wah

I play teles, LPs, p90 guitars - main guitar is a Strat. The music I play is Zep (huge Jimmy Page fan), Cream/Dominoes, classic rock, blues (SRV, texas stuff) etc. I'd always wanted a Marshall, and figured the Origin was the amp I'd be waiting for.

I don't play live often at all, limited to bi-monthly jams with a few people. I bought the Origin on the premise that it was a 'mini plexi'. The built in attenuator sold it to me as I;m 99% an apartment player these days.

From the beginning I've just not bonded with the amp. I can't get any real overdrive at volume sane levels (even with a JHS little black box), the clean is not 'chimy' enough for my taste. To solve the issue I bought the Wampler Plexi Drive pedal... which led to me playing the amp clean only.

A few months ago I picked up an Orange Micro Terror, and have found myself using this pretty much all the time (clean+Plexi Drive) as it has a Headphones out and is easier to move about!

So the time has come - the Origin 20 is listed for sale!

The problem is, I've never had an amp I've *really* liked... my amp history is:

- Fender Deluxe 112 (transistor)
    - Fender Hotrod De Ville 4x10 (insanely too loud for my appartment at the time)
    - Laney VC30 1x12
    - Katana (big mistake)
    - Orange Crush 12 (Practice amp - love it)
    - Vox AC10C1 (in hindsight, it was very nice, but it didn't really do clean)
    - Marshall Origin 20
    - Orange Micro Terror (again, like it a lot, but misses a real tube tone)

Requirements are:
    - Not too loud ~20w is fine
    - Ideally decent clean and reverb
    - Built in attenuator would be nice
    - Not too pricy as I'm a hobbyist only

At the moment, I am considering... nothing, just keeping the Micro Terror... or going for a Fender Champ Clone kit.

Wondering what amps the collective wisdom of TDPRI suggests! :D

19sixty3 likes this.
  2. Treynor

Treynor Tele-Holic

Sorry to hear you are not bonding with the Origin. I have the 20 Combo and love it when I want my Marshall "fix."

Another amp I have had for about 6 months might be a consideration for you...the Orange Rocker 32. I bought one used in mint condition at a great price and really like it. The 2 x 10 sounds wide and spacious, has stereo capability (as well as internal wet/dry which is how I normally run it) and at 44 lbs is reasonable for portability. I really like the clean and OD channels. In fact I find I normally run the OD with no additional dirt pedals because it sounds so good!

Pontiaddict and marc2211 like this.
  3. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I love the Origin 20 head and combo. My suggestion is that you send it to me ;). Seriously, I really like that amp, but can’t justify buying one with my Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18 - it has a nice clean and a more SLO inspired lead channel than Marshall sounding, but it can get me in the ballpark for everything I need. Super versatile and really changes character depending on the cabinet I use. This head has an attenuators for 18w, 5w, 1w and silent (to be used with the cabinet-emulated direct out). Cool little amp, but not everyone’s cup of tea.

marc2211 likes this.
  4. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

PRRI.

Axegrinder77 and marc2211 like this.
  5. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

If you want tube distortion you should look at Blackstar and Orange since Marshall didn’t do it for you. Maybe go as low as 5 watts. Plan B is use amp as clean pedal platform. Something like a DR with a MIAB (Marshall in a Box) pedal in front of it- Wampler Plexi, MI Audio Crunchbox, etc.

marc2211 and mkdaws32 like this.
  6. Pontiaddict

Pontiaddict TDPRI Member

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    marc2211 likes this.
  7. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Holic

a Peavey classic 30 is great and versatile (clean/drive ch,reverb,fx loop),works great with pedals...

BUT you will need an attenuator...because the volume controls are pretty touchy,so the amp will be too loud for an apartment with thin walls, when you turn from to 1-3...with an attenuator the amp sounds great (the pa saturation comes into play)

another one is..

the Marshall DSL 50 works really great at home, because it already sounds good at very low volumes (bedroom level) and has a great reverb,clean,crunch+2 higain channels,very versatile and loves pedals.

In my opinion despite its 50W, it's the perfect apartment level amp and works better for that purpose than every 5W tubeamp I own (Vox,VHT,Blackheart). It's one of the flagship Marshalls many guitar icons use(d)

...Lukather,Landau,Gary Moore,Jeff Beck,Bonamassa,P. Gilbert,R.Sambora etc.

Tim S and marc2211 like this.
  8. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Here you go, third floor condo. Blackstar HT20 MKII and H&K TM 36. The H&K scales down to 18, 5 and one and can go silent. The Blackstar goes down to 2. Either one will work but yeah, stereo is pretty flippin' cool

15842868648485099421813533234109.jpg

9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a Blackstar HT Studio 20 that I got a few years ago when I was missing my old Marshall JCM. It's a nice sounding amp with some cool features (it came with a crappy speaker though which I swapped out for a WGS Reaper). I heard the newer model has an attenuator. It clicks most of the boxes you listed. Nice cleans, great on board distortion. I got mine brand new as a B-stock for $325 a couple of years ago.

I also have a Vox AC15C1, which has the prettiest chimey cleans out of any amp I've ever had. It is finicky with pedals though - a lot of otherwise great sounding pedals sound like crap through it. You might need to redo the pedalboard if you go that route. Costs a bit more than the Blackstar too.

stratoman1, mkdaws32 and marc2211 like this.
  10. PoorNoodle

PoorNoodle TDPRI Member

Sell the Origin and the Plexi pedal and buy a Marshall SC20H if you want a built in attenuator (master volume) or buy a Marshall SV20H plus an attenuator and you have a real Plexi...and maybe get a Greenback or Creamback for one of your cabs...?

middy, marc2211 and Askwhy like this.
  11. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Bug V22

have a bunch of amps &the lil bugger gets a lot of work..13/22 allows for 2 ways to hit that amp..needs no pedals & has a very nice clean. The stock speaker is excellent..
    Shady town Bug LPC.jpg

marc2211 and Treynor like this.
  12. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

You need master volume(s). Power tube vs pre distortion is not worth what you are giving up in versatility for your situation.
    My recs- used DSL20 or Mesa TA-15 Let us know what you get!

Believer, stratoman1, Tim S and 2 others like this.
  13. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Blackstar ID 30 TVP will give you a huge range of tones and it's easy to dial things in at low volume. I'd be buying one myself (again, after 'coming back' from acoustic), but they don't have an fx loop.

If an attenuator is a priority, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the K word.

marc2211 likes this.
  14. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic

While not perfect, a 68 custom Princeton might fit the bill.

Playing in a chilis cover, I was ready to grab an origin 20. Played it in the store for 15 minutes, left knowing my Princeton has much better tone than that marshall.

You can run a cab like I do for big jams and it's great. Or just play the stock celestion which sounds nice at lower volume. It's 12 watts, but louder than the origin 20, so you may also need an attenuator.

Super thick tone at reasonable volume. Not sure anything else is in its league .

marc2211 likes this.
  15. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

marc2211 likes this.
  16. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

My suggestion would be a Vox AC15. The 15 gives you the option of the normal channel which the AC10 doesn't. It could be a little cleaner for you when compared to the top boost only 10.

marc2211 and Dismalhead like this.
  17. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Jimmy Page and SRV are worlds apart tonally. Classic Marshall (not modern preamp distortion) and Fender blackface / early silverface (not modern 'custom' versions). Both are going to be louder than any smaller amps. Attenuators kill dynamics and suck tone. Manufacturers will do anything today to convince you that their offerings will do what you want (you've seen that with the Origin 20), but the proof is in the pudding.

marc2211 likes this.
  18. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You seem like a perfect candidate for some sort of modeler, based on your volume issues. I’d just keep an open mind and try one of the better ones out in addition to whatever amps you try. I get that you probably aren’t interested though.

Also, it seems to me like you’ve got a pretty specific idea of what you want, but you’re buying things without really getting all the information you need to make an informed decision. Very little about that Origin matches what you say you want. I’d recommend slowing down, maybe saving a little money, and getting the right thing so you can get off the carousel.

I definitely don’t think a 5w Champ style amp is going to satisfy you, let alone any amp that requires cranking it to get overdrive.

marc2211 likes this.
  19. 19sixty3

19sixty3 TDPRI Member

I suggest an Engl Ironball E606 new, or a second hand Engl Gigmaster 15.
    This things should tick all your boxes.

marc2211 likes this.
  20. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Holic

Before you do anything, put a Klon(e) in front of the Origin20.

It really turns it into a mini-Plexi.

The Klon(e) is the missing ingredient.

Dead serious. The Klon(e) transforms that amp.

And I don't generally say that about Klon(e)s (they're overhyped, IMHO), but with the Origin 20 specifically, it's almost a necessity, and it's wonderful.

mkdaws32 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.