Deciding Which Gear to Keep

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by MXLBRY, Sep 10, 2019 at 9:28 AM.

1. MXLBRY

MXLBRY TDPRI Member

Hello all, I came across a Rickenbacker 330 and 1966 Deluxe Reverb recently. Fell in love with both as a combo.

My dilemma is that I have a 5E3 Deluxe clone (non-kit, NOS tubes, real Jensen C12N from 50s, vintage parts), EL84 Champ (non-kit, same as 5E3), and a 1973 Princeton Reverb. I'm deciding if all I need is the 1966 Deluxe Reverb for rhythm and this EL84 Champ for lead parts and chime on recordings.

I find myself loving this DR + Rickenbacker combo for the dynamics when playing. I can really dig in and out with the reverb on the amp, much like playing an acoustic guitar and singing. With the tweeds, it's FULL ON all the time due to the compression nature of the amp. Don't get me wrong, I love rock and roll, but I find myself wanting a little more dynamics sometimes from an amp.

What're your thoughts on these amps? Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019 at 9:38 AM
    guitrr likes this.
  2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

My decision might depend on how reliable the vintage amps are, and/or my abilities to fix or pay for others to do so. Clones, as good as they might be, are rarely keepsake amps. Old Fenders, OTOH, are. Particularly DRs and PRs. That's my take, anyway.

Some might argue you need the 5E3, just because. I'm not necessarily in that camp, particularly if we're talking clones. 5E3 clones and kits are plentiful. Vintage Fenders are a limited number. I love both clean and cranked DRs and PRs, with or without pedals. They do all I want to play or hear.

muchxs and MXLBRY like this.
  3. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

First of all, do you have the money to buy the Ric and the '66DR?

Are you needing to sell one of the other amps to help pay for the Ric & '66 DR?

Do you have limited space so you cannot store more than one or two amps?

There is no harm in having more than one thing that you love if you aren't financially burdening yourself to do so.

I see far too many people selling musc gear because it doesn't get used often and they feel they need to get rid of it.

Don't look at your equiptment as piles of cash just sitting there in the corner.

guitrr and MXLBRY like this.
  4. MXLBRY

MXLBRY TDPRI Member

I hear that. I will say, I'm done with the PR world. I miss having the power of a bigger amp, even when mic'd. PR's are cool, but they lack depth IMO. This DR I found creates a landscape that a PR does not. The 5E3 is pure rock and roll tone, so it's definitely a toss up for me. It's also a money issue, moving money into the DR makes me feel less stressed haha.

5. MXLBRY

MXLBRY TDPRI Member

I kinda have the money to buy, it'd be on a credit card for a bit (which I hate having debt, but anything for music I say). Definitely would have to sell the 5E3 Deluxe clone and '73 Princeton Reverb to fund the Rick and '66 DR purchase. I'm also about to make a record, so this Rick and DR inspired me to hit record the other day too.

6. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

You asked yourself

Sell the PR, sell the Champ, keep DR and 5E3

FenderLover, Dukex and tarheelbob like this.
  7. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I sold my Deluxe Reverb and only have a Vibro Champ and Princeton Reverb. So, don't take my advice.
    But a Princeton with a Weber speaker is as loud and dynamic as I need to be.

8. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I'd keep a vintage DR just because it's a vintage DR. Maybe even given the choice between that and PR. They were created on the seventh day, in gawd's garage amp workshop. I may not be able to turn it up too much if I'm not playing out. But they still sound good at low volume clean, or dirty with a good drive. And t's still is lighter and takes up less room than a twin.

guitrr likes this.
  9. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

That's exactly what I'd do.

10. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

This brings up another question: Will you be using this equipment to generate income?

If you are generating income making music, then it should "pay itself off" at some point. The question is if the temporary loss of funds in the meantime ( or temporary period of debt ) is worth it. For equipment that is rare or hard to find or at a very good price, sometimes the opporotunity is limited and the benefits outweight the risk.

I may or may not have had this conversation with my guitar guy:

"I don't have a job and I have a kid on the way, but I REALLY want that guitar."

It was a limited edition that had reached its production limit and there were 2 left at the factory. He was a gem and ordered it without me having the money for it. ( I had just graduated with an bachelor's degree but hadn't recieved an offers yet. I paid the guitar off a few weeks later with my signing bonus from my first job .)

Matt G, MXLBRY, guitrr and 1 other person like this.
  11. MXLBRY

MXLBRY TDPRI Member

Yes, I'm a professional musician. This means I grind hard for not a ton of money currently, but the joy of something beautiful and inspiring is worth it I think like you said.

Matt G likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.