Deciding on a low gain pedal...Timmy?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by markal, Mar 26, 2019.

1. High Head Brad

High Head Brad Tele-Meister

Check out the Fairfield Barbershop if you get a chance. Great low gain overdrive. Just a shame it doesnt have a tone pot rather than the 3 position switch

Daytona.57 likes this.
  2. markal

markal Tele-Afflicted

I temporarily and somewhat satisfactorily solved my problem. I moved the Soul Food to be the last in the chain of three drives and now run it with the gain way low, basically as a boost. The mids on this pedal come with the gain. So now I avoid that. Sounds better so far.

3. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

The 4 knob spark boost is great as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Red Bread

Red Bread Tele-Meister

I could never find a boost pedal i liked
    I stack my OD’s and prefer cleaner OD pedals if that makes sense,,,ah,,i guess i like nonfuzzy OD
    But awhile back there was a sale on a Danoeletro oedal at GC
    Texas Troulde,,,,which is just a Texas Pride pedal rebadged for GC
    Very little dirt to it,,but its bright and powerful and i found that using it as a boost is the ticket whether it my Tubescreamer or Blues JR or even just a way to keep my cleans fat sounding
    I found it very useful in my line up

5. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

That’s exactly my experience. As a clean boost at the end of the chain, it’s a wonderful pedal. Like you, I did not appreciate its sound as an OD but I am starting to get it. If you try it with a strat into a blackface, and gain around 9-10 (tone slightly off) it gives a very sweet low OD… Not to mention that as a boost in front of other pedals, it shelves just the right frequencies.

But for now, enjoy it just as last of the chain pedal ;)

6. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

I think the Timmy has a high cut nob. This will take away the harshness you hear I'm demos. Another good pedal for boost and edge of breakup is the Boss OD3. Kind of like the BD2 but a little less gain and more low end thump.

7. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Hi, it’s true that the Timmy is highly tweakable but out of experience – you cannot tweak it to deliver just ANY overdriven sound. There are trade-offs: if you “cut” the high you lose the harshness but you also kill the top-end of your sound so you end up in “woman tone” territory whether you want it or not.

The Timmy has got its own character, and IMHO it was not too well suited for a single coil guitar going thru a blackface amp. YMMV of course.

8. Gin Mill Cowboy

Gin Mill Cowboy Tele-Meister

Great advice! I am always surprised (pleasantly or not) when I hear my guitar in a recorded mix with a live band. There is only so much frequency space for a guitar to occupy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Timmy pedal is not harsh at all. Just turn the knobs. It can sound however you want. Also consider the Barber Gain Changer, and Boss Blues Driver, both of which are very open and organic sounding, and will sound different - not mid-boosted - than your Soul Food pedal.

don_danapoint likes this.
  10. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

Lots of great options out there, and already mentioned. I'll add my favorite low gainer, the Wampler Ecstacy/Euphoria. Three modes via the toggle, and a world of tones from clean boost to smooth Dumble-esce, to mild distortion/light wooly fuzz. But the magic is how many varieties of low gain can be squeezed out of one box.

mgreene likes this.
  11. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

I had never heard of the Greer Lightspeed before reading your post. I youtubed it. Is this an accurate portrayal--because is sounds fantastic.

12. j5jarod777

j5jarod777 Tele-Meister

Never over look a good old BOSS BD-2

13. Skip Reid

Skip Reid TDPRI Member

Mythical Overdrive Vintage Spec is the answer. I have a Platinum Amp 11 and big box Amp 11, along with a Tumnus. All are very, very good. I could live with any one of those. But man, there is something magical about that Mythical Overdrive Vintage Spec. It is so versatile.

kevsonic likes this.
  14. don_danapoint

don_danapoint TDPRI Member

Same here.... the Timmy and Gain Changer have been on my board and never left ...... Just killer pedals .... they sound good into a Marshall and a Super Reverb at GIG volume...

FerruleCat likes this.
  15. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

IF you are going nutz about one or the other, the real answer is get two. I just got a Timmy and am impressed so far. It will share duties with my Prince of tone. I also have the JHS soul food mod. But I got the idea, two of these pedals are enough. I still want to check the Gain changer which sounds very good in demos. So, I will end up with two, right now the Timmy impresses me the most.

Tele56 likes this.
  16. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

For what it's worth, the Lovepedal Amp11 is a Timmy clone. The Timmy is incredibly flexible and can sound however you want in the OD range. Set the bass & treble at around 11:00 and your eq is pretty much unaltered. Cut them more and pump the volume to emphasize the mids. It can be really brittle if you cut all the lows and boost the highs, it can be muddy and muffled if you do the opposite...and everything in between. Add three different configurations of clipping diodes and you've got a very flexible platform. I keep building new overdrives and I keep coming back to the Timmy.

Tele56 and kevsonic like this.
  17. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Holic

as you've got sweet baby how much more gain you need from a low gain o.d?

18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Get the Danelectro cool cat transparent overdrive - version one.

That is a Timmy.

It also costs $40 used.

If you really dig it after fiddling with it then get a real one - if you want.

I never got around to step two. I’m still using the crappy Dano. (It’s not crappy, it’s just cheaper and more inconvenient but it sounds exactly the same)

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  19. SantaBaby

SantaBaby NEW MEMBER!

I am new to Timmy, but do like it quite a bit. I play covers mostly of classic rock and alternative rock.

I have a new Fender 68 Vibrolux (amazing clean amp), and play Tele w Kinman bridge pick up, w LollarTron neck pup.

So so hard to say “what’s right”, as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Amp, guitars and pickups matter so much and whatever image in your head of that perfect sound you want.

My secret: the Keeley Katana Clean Boost (pedal board pic below) makes the Timmy and everything else sound unreal. I use that in front of a Boss BD-2 (set gain to low to no gain) for light crunch dirt, and then the Timmy for heavier dirt (gain set to 10 o clock). I am blown away by the sound.

Always open to opinions. Will be playing around w order of pedals to understand differences better.
    First post! Just joined!

Attached Files:

philta and RetroTeleRod like this.
  20. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

I wondered that myself.

There is a "sideways" Amp 11 pedal, smaller footprint if you can deal with the orientation of the controls. Get one during one of the sales, if waiting isn't an issue?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.