1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Decent write-up of my band The Blowtorches debut album

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by blowtorch, Oct 25, 2020.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

From Tom's Reviews@mayhemmusicreviews, on an album that I wrote all but one of the songs for and played all the guitar on (he only specifically reviews just over half the songs):

"Rockabilly and psychobilly fans take note, because an excellent band from those genres has unleashed a great album via
    Devils Brew Productions
    ; the group in question is
    The Blowtorches
    , and the album is called Burn It Down.
    I'm a big fan of this style of music, and the label is run by a guy I consider a good friend; our tastes in music often coincide, and he always picks excellent groups to work with for Devil's Brew and
    NoSlip Records
    . These two things almost guaranteed that I was going to like this album, and my initial thoughts were correct; because this is a killer album.
    Motto - This was the perfect opening track, with its up tempo, psychobilly power. I think that beginning the album with a song like this helps set the tone for the album, getting the listener ready for a wild ride that won't disappoint. Plus, that upright bass sounds super sweet to me; I've always thought they add something special to this style of music.
    Burn It Down - A rocking number with some superb guitar solos, and a sense of urgency. When palm muted slightly, the main riff reminds me of a George Thorogood sound, adding just another element to like. This is also the longest track, at four minutes and fifteen seconds, which means that we get more than one guitar solo, and they all sound pretty damn good!!
    Burn Baby Burn - I hear a Stray Cats influence on this one, more than on any other track on the album; there's that familiar sound that catches the ear. I would dare say that this is one of the best tracks, right up there with "Tiki Reef", which I'll talk about next.
    Tiki Reef - a surf meets rockabilly tune with no vocals, but with a killer groove. I have long been a fan of groups that employ that surf sound, especially The Ghastly Ones, and now The Blowtorches as well. This one has the privilege of being my top pick on the record, it's just a very cool track.
    The Name Game - this one rocks right from the get go! There's a blues base behind this straight up Rockabilly jam, not to mention a killer guitar solo; there also seems to be a Jerry Lee Lewis feel here and there. At only one minute and fifty-seven seconds, the track is to the point, and energetic from start to finish.
    Nail Those Coffins Shut - Psychobilly is the name of the game on this track, and it is another banger from start to finish. This one is even shorter than "The Name Game", and, like that song, this one never drops in its energy. I really like the vocals on this one, they're perfectly suited to the music.
    Cherry-O - I really like this track, which is full of that old school country and rockabilly influence. The guitar playing is fantastic, as is the tone of those guitars; very twangy. Between the music and the vocals, I get a strong 1950s feel, which helps me get into it all the more.
    One thing that I notice about some of the other groups in the rockabilly/psychobilly genre, is that the last third of their albums seem to get boring to me. The Blowtorches do not have that problem, because as the album progresses, so did it seem to get stronger. If you're a fan of the genre, or of just good music in general, then you need to give this band a serious listen; you won't be disappointed!!! Enjoy!!!"

https://devilsbrewproductions.bandcamp.com/album/burn-it-down

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  2. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Nice Torch !! All the work & passion that goes into making original music, great to see you got good response.

blowtorch likes this.
  3. NEPATelecaster

NEPATelecaster Tele-Afflicted

Thats a great review! Its always nice to get any recognition at all for original material!

blowtorch likes this.
  4. blowtorch

It's kind of funny, we recorded the album 16 years ago at the famous and now-shuttered Smart Studios here in Madison. And we went all analog, right down to the having to wait around on the studio's house Echoplex getting repaired. We had the last analog purist at the studio recording us, and all the other studio guys were like "dude just plug in this Line6 thing". He wouldn't have it :cool:

5. blowtorch

One thing the reviewer said
    "One thing that I notice about some of the other groups in the rockabilly/psychobilly genre, is that the last third of their albums seem to get boring to me. The Blowtorches do not have that problem, because as the album progresses, so did it seem to get stronger."

that I feel rings true and it's not genre-specific, bands put boring obvious filler on their albums. Why? Write some better tunes!

telestratosonic and Jakedog like this.
  6. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Real happy for you. Just listened to 2 cuts and really like 'em both. Big congrats man. Terrific.:cool::cool::cool:

blowtorch likes this.
  7. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

Well done with the review.

I was thinking about this yet again yesterday. In ye olde days, bands were limited, length wise, by the format. And I wonder if by coincidence, that length sort of matched what a typical decent band could make in one ‘cycle’ of song writing? As in, maybe at any point, most decent bands are good for 8 - 12 songs that are half way decent or better.

Folk still are limited by format length I guess, but from the CD onwards, you have these things with reduculous limits, that you can fill up with a bazillion songs, and I think often people just feel like they need to.

So, instead of putting out, I dunno, 8 to 12 songs, of which, I dunno, maybe a third are great, a third are good and a third are so so, they now stick out 18. Of which, I dunno, 6 - 10 are rubbish.

Pax/
    Dean

blowtorch likes this.
  8. blowtorch

Yeah that's probably accurate.
    But, in ye even older days, an artist generally produced singles, and again generally that's all an album was, after an artist had put out a good number of singles, they'd release a collection of those in an album.

There was a lot of merit in that approach, I think

9. SLICKFASTER

SLICKFASTER TDPRI Member

Two thumbs up...this vibe is right up my alley. How many songs on the album?? Psycho Billy is what I like!!
    Any merchandise? Patches?? I also do the OG Billy that goes psycho. BurnItDown nails it!! I’m a fan. If ya get to Los Angeles give me a heads up and my crew will support...little city called Redondo Bch....
    they say you got a lifetime to write your first album and 6 months to write your second. Dam this global ****ery !!!

blowtorch likes this.
  10. blowtorch

13 lucky tracks :cool:
    Sorry, I've got no merch to pitch you

11. don

don Tele-Meister

Fantastic - so nice to get some recognition for all the hard work that goes into writing and recording! Bravo -

blowtorch likes this.
  12. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Downloaded! Can’t wait to listen to it tomorrow!

blowtorch likes this.
  13. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Way to go blowtorch! Very cool:cool:

Ronzo and blowtorch like this.
  14. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

Great review! So happy for you :cool:

blowtorch likes this.
  15. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I listened to burn it down in it’s entirety, but only had time to sample all the others. I really dig it, but who cares what I like! You got a reviewer shining a spotlight on you! Very cool, man!
    I said to Mrs. Deathray, “See, I told you I knew real musicians!”:p

aging_rocker and blowtorch like this.
  16. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

Very cool, congrats! I’ll listen tomorrow for sure :cool:

blowtorch likes this.
  17. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

That’s cool!

blowtorch likes this.
  18. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

blowtorch likes this.
  19. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congrats!

Not easy to get ink!

blowtorch likes this.
  20. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I could have told Tom that :cool:

blowtorch likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.