decent value low cost mic

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by alathIN, Dec 23, 2018.

1. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

Looking for an entry level dynamic mic to explore recording.
    I've got an OK vocal mic; looking for something to mic a guitar amp.
    I know I should probably just suck it up and pay the $99 for an SM-57... but if there's a cheap knockoff that would be OK to get me started I'd be interested.

FYI, I'm using Studio One and a Presonus USB Audio Box. It does provide phantom power if that helps.

2. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

You memtioned a 57...are you recording your amp and instruments primarily?

How about a used 57? Watching CL may save you some $$..especially if you don't mind some scratches. They are virtually indestructible so even an old one should be fine. Mine is 30 yrs old...

Fiesta Red, howardlo and Jack Clayton like this.
  3. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Real ones yeah. But there a lot of fakes out there. For that reason I’d avoid Cl like the plague. Get the real deal, from an authorized Shure dealer, they really aren’t all that expensive.

Cheers,
    Geoff

thegeezer, Boomhauer and howardlo like this.
  4. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I'm just fooling around and learning at present.
    Looking to mic my guitar amplifier speaker cabinet.

Point taken... you never know with Craigslist.
    At least on eBay and Reverb they have seller ratings / feedback....
    On Reverb, from a reputable seller, used SM57s go for $80-ish - so not a huge savings when new ones are $99

5. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

As noted, the SM57 is about as simple and inexpensive as they get for a quality mic. Even the fake ones sound pretty good, but just buy from a retailer so you get the real thing. If you are not doing vocals, then go with the Sennheiser 609 mic which does a great job recording the speaker without needing a stand...that can save you a little money as well.

TequilaCaster likes this.
  6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Used 57 or 58's are usually fine. Try a Pawn Shop? You can get a Sennheiser made for amp mic ing for the $100 you mention. There are decent cheap mics but they come and go and it's hard to determine which are which. When Audix first arrived on the scene they sold promo mics very much like an SM58 for $15 at GC. I have one and it wasnt bad at all.

7. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted

+1 for SM-57. I've done that, bought cheap stuff "this'll work for starters". In the end I'd have saved quite some money just by going for a quality equipment. Don't recommend that specific rabbit hole.

thegeezer, Straydogger and howardlo like this.
  8. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Monoprice makes a 57 copy for like 25 bucks.

But for micing a guitar amp Id go with a Sennheiser e609.

JayFreddy and RyCo1983 like this.
  9. Colors

Colors Tele-Holic

I didnt buy one when I first started recording. I figured I'd get one eventually but I wanted to spend my money on sexier condenser mics. I should have bought a 57 right out of the gate. So much easier to get good sounds from electric guitar and drums with those. I have some cool mics. I've used some of my friends cooler mics. But my favorite mic is the SM 57. Its not cool but it freaking works. It always works. Maybe you can get better sounds out of other mics but you will always get a decent sound out of a 57.

10. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

You will like the amp recording results that you'll get by using a SM57 or e609 mic much better than anything less expensive IMO. The e609 does some voices pretty well also.

Straydogger, Milspec and dan1952 like this.
  11. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I recently bought a new SM 57. Love it on my vocals and my acoustic guitar. Well worth the $95.

12. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Used Sennheiser E609

They were their 20th anniversary (evolution line) mic of the month in November and would have been a nice savings new.

13. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

I know I'm just gonna be one more person saying get a 57, but get a 57. They're ideal for literally any use. I know you're just miking your guitar now, but what if you and a friend start goofing around and you wanna lay down vocals? What if you want a drum track? The 57 is the ONLY mic that makes sense if you want to have just one mic.

Straydogger and howardlo like this.
  14. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Buy a real SM57 from a Shure dealer. Saving 20, 30, or 40 bucks by getting something else, or a knockoff, is a waste of money. This is a case where you can have the EXACT same thing as the best studios use, for less than $100.00, and you're trying to cheap out?!? Okay, I'll say it...that's just stupid!

15. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

Get an SM57. :p

I found another one at a garage sale and it had a cord, and looked like new. They wanted 15 bux. I got it for 10.00. :)

16. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

There are SM57 copies on eBay for about $30.

17. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

One of the Rick Beato videos I watched yesterday made the comment it's more important where you put the mic on your cabinet, and the speaker in the cabinet, than the mic brand/model you use. If you are just starting recording, there are a million other steps in the process and cost for other gear you'll need more. I've seen guy get the expensive mics and then drape them over the top of the combo amp rather than a mic stand with accurate mic placement at the speaker cone.

If you haven't bought your DAW yet, look up the ubuntustudio.org stuff and install on an old pc or run off a flash drive.
    It has amp and pedal sims in it. Also Hydrogen drum machine and Audacity multi-track recording. You can get Audacity on any platform you are currently running so that should be a first start 'app'.

Look up youtube for building noise traps with 1x4 frames, blue-jeans sound insulation, and burlap that work much better than the fancy cone foam. Even a walk-in closet with racks of clothes hanging is a great recording space.

18. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

GLS ES -57, GLS ES- 58. Cobalt CO4, Cobalt CO9 ... Samson R11

All of these are decent alternatives which I use.

The only problems with these mics is some handling noise. All of my mics are on stands so there are no issues. The mics all sound good when properly EQ'ed.
    I have even used them for recording. YMMV.

19. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Just use your vocal mic until you can afford to shell out $80 to $100 for a second mic. They are not very different - look at the response curve on a 57 and a 58 (the vocal mic) - basically the exact same thing.

I recognize the quality of the Shure 57 and 58s, but in back to back comparing, I much prefer the Sennheiser E835 for my own voice. That's what I bought and I've used it to record guitar too. Sounds fine.

Nick Fanis and RyCo1983 like this.
  20. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

I understand that sometimes $100 may be tough, if you want to be more in the $25 range look for some old Realistic Pro Series, these were great and the Realistic 33-919A stereo is very cool, condenser though. The older Peavey's are good as well and are cheap.
    Keep in mind a used 57 @ $50 or so will still be worth $50 5-10 years from now, others, not so much.
    Good luck!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.