Decent deluxe reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by golfnut, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Stax1

Stax1 Tele-Meister

I paired an Alessandro GA-SC64 Eminence Speaker with my '64 Bandmaster that I turned into a 1x12 combo and I've been quite impressed with it, even as new as it is!
    As for your amp choices - are there any local amp makers there in Canada? Here in Australia there are some boutique builders that will make you a DR clone for about $2k, and they're all hand made with good components. Many people prefer them to anything Fender. Lets face it, Fender are actually creating clones of old Fender amps anyway!

I agree with some of the above comments though, look for a silver face, or get a reissue or clone with a good speaker.
    I've never played the early 80's blackface versions so I can't comment in them. From what I read online though their circuit design differs from the BF or SF amps.

2. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

Speakers make the difference, IMHO. My lead player's DRRI really came alive when we put a JBL E120 in it. I have a 1970 DR that I made a 2x10 baffle for and installed 2 JBL D110Fs. This mod took a great sounding amp and put it in the realm of the sublime, with more and more focused low end, punchy mids and sparkling highs. I play clean 95% of the time, so the sound is exquisite for me. 20190104_134915.jpg The chrome-domes peeking out through the grill cloth is also killer, IMHO.

StoogeSurfer likes this.
  3. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Afflicted

Clip C10 (bright cap on reverb channel)
    Speaker Swap.
    Swamp thang, weber 12f150 or my favorite 12a150 50 watts light dope 8 ohms !
    A nice GE 5751 in v2.
    And now your DRRI just bloomed into a sweet tone maker.

Snipping that 10 cent gritty bright cap is your first priority!!
    The rest just sweetens the amp more and more.

Ah and as others have said, check that factory bias. Cold and sterile from the factory.

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Deluxes only changed minorly - pull boost from mid 70s, cabinet construction with dadoed in baffle. The main board didn't change except for component values until 82, when they stopped making them. There's hardly any 81/82 'pretend BF' amps as Fender was in the throes of sale to FMIC.

5. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Check the bias. I'd guess that folks who spent big bucks on a PTP re-wire or actual vintage amp also pay the paltry few dollars more to properly service the amp.

Any '65 Reissue or '68 Custom amp straight from the factory will be biased cold, resulting in the sound described.

That said, speaker changes make a bigger difference than the brand of tubes.
    Most who complain about the dreaded "spikies" never run the volume above 2, and sit right in front of the speaker like it's a giant monophonic headphone.

LuthRavin likes this.
  6. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

Pardon me for asking but if you can't find a Deluxe that sounds good why not look elsewhere?
    You can buy Frenzel's version brand new with all top notch components for around $600 (head only), pair with your favorite speaker and you are good to go.
    https://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/deluxe-plus-525

7. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

Get a cheap, beat looking silverface. If it's stock and functioning, any decent tech can blackface it for you if you want. Silverface amps are totally fine and available for great prices if you hunt and have a little patience.

8. Thinline casket

Thinline casket Tele-Meister

Does it have to say Fender on it? An Allen accomplice or a Lil Dawg wonderdawg are reasonable if you buy used. I'm usually looking for a circuit and a speaker myself. Plus I like to buy from the little guys building in the garage.

9. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Holic

I have 1958 Tweed Deluxe and-a 1980 Blackface Deluxe Reverb. Both hand wired. Both sound great. I paid about $350 for the Tweed and $850 for the DR,

10. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

I have a DRRI that is about 10 years old--it always sounded sterile and cold,and didn't seem to like any of my pedals.I had the tech I use bias it (he said it was way below where it should be),and added a WGS-65 speaker.Wow,what a difference!

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  11. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

The handwired DR reissue comes with a Jensen C12q. I have one in my PR clone, and for a cheap modest speaker it sounds great, to me at least.

12. Muttlyboy

Muttlyboy TDPRI Member

Keep checking Reverb, check forum classifieds, etc.

I've seen Alessandro re-wired DRRIs for decent prices used and keep your eyes opened for the more well known Clone amps. I've seen a couple of those come up here and there for less than Silverface prices or about $1000 US

13. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hard to go wrong with a SF. Make sure it has original transformers, and the cab isn't actually broken and that's it. Plan on putting another $200 into it, one time, for service. Have the tech bias it as you play, so they can tune it to your ear.

14. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

I was gonna post that REAL men don't use the word "heavenly", but then I saw you're from Canada, so I guess it's OK.

15. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

There is nothing wrong with the PCB quality. Tubes are kept separate from the board, but the controls are mounted. Not an issue, just not as easy to repair.

Those amps come biased cold from the factory, and many buyers never have them setup properly. If you can get a DRRI used, and for cheap enough, you should be able to get it to your liking with minimal effort.

That said, buying new makes ZERO sense because you could find a vintage Silverface for the same or less.

Just my 2 cents....

16. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

I agree, coda. Eminence Cannabis Rex makes a good speaker choice in a late SFDR. I've got a '78, with a pull boost that will never ever be pulled by my hand, but once I freshened the amp, removed the crappy speaker and put in the Rex, this thing does its damn job, and well.

17. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Ain’t nothing wrong with a DRRI.
    Even a stock one and I have a few vintage black face amps in my collection. Let me introduce you to your tone knobs...

Also, these guys gig more than any of us and sound better than any of us.

18. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

My “poor quality” pcb board DRRI is SUCH a hassle. It NEVER breaks down on gigs, hasn’t needed any repairs, and I leave it in my car after gigs in the ever changing climate of Chicago. It also ALWAYS works if I don’t use it for months.

I wish my vintage Fender amps were so poor!

19. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I actually had enough problems with my reissue Super that I eventually sold it. I wasn't working on my amps yet, and it was the death of a thousand cuts, as one resistor would fail, then another, then a cap, then... Each time was $80 or so, bench time, diagnose, repair. And as we know, not as easy to get in to do the repair. Finally the tech said he had seen the problem before with these. He thought maybe it was the heat from the tubes, rising up, and causing the PCB to expand and contract with changing temps. And that the robo-wave-soldered components had no 'slop', no wiggle room, so they'd just crack.

Not something that would happen with my silverfaces. Maybe it's not common, don't know why we got so lucky. My son bought the amp new, and we owned it for maybe a little over a decade, with this happening the whole time. Finally gave up, sold it, and bought a 71 Super for net $200 more. That amp sounds a lot better (it's the CTS alnicos), and we just kick ourselves for not doing it sooner.

20. yojimbo

yojimbo Tele-Meister

this. my first DRRI was a '97 or '98, and i kicked the **** out of it for 6 years. i did absolutely nothing healthy for it in that entire time. beer spills, drunken load out drops on the curb, you name it. i've never had an amp so reliable. i wish i still had that one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.