Decent Clip On Headstalk Tuners ?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Tab 12, Apr 27, 2021.

1. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like my Snarks, but buy batteries on Ebay by the dozen. They're only like 50 cents that way.
    I did buy a Stage Right clip on that is chargeable off a USB cord! Pretty cool!

Tab 12 likes this.
  2. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

I like the snark, it's cheap and works

Tab 12, Edgebound and ratdoc like this.
  3. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

The Peterson is expensive, but it's pretty much the Swiss Army chainsaw of clip-ons and, if anybody knows tuners it's them.

The feature setting it apart is the sweeteners, which let you select a set of notes the tuner responds to (e.g., E2 A2 D3 G3 B3 E4) and adjust what pitch is considered in tune for each one. I've got one for setups, one for the James Taylor tuning that I use on a couple of guitars and a few for other instruments.

My favorite inexpensive tuner is the Intelli IMT-600 that I've had since the late 2000s. It's not as crazy-precise as the Peterson, but it stands up reasonably well against it and has a guitar mode. It's still available and there's a later version called the IMT-900 that I haven't tried. Those run about $20.

VonBonfire likes this.
  4. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I have Snarks, but I prefer the Fender California series clip-on tuners.
    (You don't have to turn them on and off. They wake up when you clip them on, and go back to sleep when you remove them.)

And it goes without saying, I always remove them from the headstock immediately after tuning-up.

Leaving one on the headstock during a performance is aesthetically offensive, unnecessary, and disrespectful to the audience.

;)

[​IMG]

TeleBluesMan and Tab 12 like this.
  5. ironsausage58

ironsausage58 TDPRI Member

Can't go wrong with Peterson Stroboclip.

Tab 12 likes this.
  6. tce63

tce63 Tele-Afflicted

Polytune works great

mmannaxx, Tab 12, Edgebound and 2 others like this.
  7. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

I really like the TC electronics one. I don’t have the poly-tune version, but it’s accurate, the battery lasts a good while, and it’s easy to see.

Tab 12 and tce63 like this.
  8. Racing Stripes

Racing Stripes TDPRI Member

9. Stratoooh

Stratoooh TDPRI Member

I’ve bought and used them all. TC Electronic Polytune rules the roost. I’ve had mine for 5 or so years. It’s fast, it’s very accurate, legible, and it’s built like a tank. It’s the only clip on tuner that my kids aren’t able to break lol. I also have/use the TC Electronic Unitune which is a scaled back version of the Polytune. Love them both.

Tab 12, Edgebound and tce63 like this.
  10. glen851

glen851 TDPRI Member

Agreed, but trust those ears tuning in a noisy, live environment, on the bandstand, without amplification? No way!
    I like my D'Addario/Planetwaves.

tce63 likes this.
  11. Ironworxx

Ironworxx TDPRI Member

I use the PRS clip on tuner. It stays on the head stock & works well.

tce63 likes this.
  12. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

TC Unitune- same speed and accuracy of the Polytune for less money.

Johnny 99 and Tab 12 like this.
  13. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

+1 for Planet Waves/D'Addario/NS

Tab 12 likes this.
  14. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Holic

I've had 2:
    1. Delta Labs ($15?) - lasted 4-5yrs on a single battery, no complaints whatsoever.
    2. Fender ($20?) - works great, no complaints whatsoever.

Tab 12 likes this.
  15. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Holic

joebloggs13, Tab 12, Novak and 2 others like this.
  16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

FYI, the Musician's Friend Stupid Deal of the Day (4/30/2021) is a 4 Pack of D'Addario Equinox tuners for $39

17. Chuck berry

Chuck berry TDPRI Member

I've tried many tuners never found one to be be accurate. There ok for the first strings the 6 5th and fourth. The other three you have to tune by ear. There is however one which quite accurate but is $ 800.00. ( OUCH! )

Tab 12 likes this.
  18. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

I am an electric guitar player and don't even own an acoustic... but I discovered the Snark Snarkman for about $20 bucks. Once upon a time I had a Korg clip-on, it was a piece of crap... it would not read my 6th low E string. Tossed it. I used the Snarkman tuner at a music shop when I was test driving guitars and it worked good, so I bought one. Personally I hate clip-on tuners, I think they're all pretty much a gimmick and junk, but what do I know,. I don't do acoustic guitars, one trick ponies... I prefer electrics and dozens of pedal choices for lot's and lot's of tricks... even acoustic guitar sounds...

Years ago I made my living giving guitar lessons. I went through all kinds of guitar tuners from several companies. The most common problem with the VU meter tuners is that you can't read the needle from any distance away. Sharing a tuner for lessons was always a PITA.

At last I discovered the Korg Pitchblack pedal tuner. Perfect tracking, and a huge letter display you can easily see from the pedalboard. I've been using the Pitchblack model for about 15 years now. For lessons, I would velcro it on the corner of a table and both me and the student could read it just fine. Used you can get them in the $40-50 range. I almost always buy used stuff, let some other clod take the 30-40% depreciation as soon as they walk out the door with something new.

As far as a clip-on tuner flinging off the headstock while you're playing... well... jeez, it's a clip-on, who on Earth wrote the rule it has to stay on the headstock the whole gig? Take it off, put it in your pocket, and thrash your a$$ off (with an acoustic, OK... right)...

If there's some reason you have to leave it on the headstock all night, then chances are its not the tuner, there may be something else wrong with the guitar, like cheap, crappy machine heads/tuners that came from the factory on the guitar ???

Here's a Snark Snarkman tuner I use at home, its easy to shuffle around on different guitars...
    https://www.samash.com/snark-s-12-snarkman-clip-on-chromatic-instrument-tuner-ss12xxxxx-p

Best tuner ever made IMHO... the Korg Pitchblack pedal tuner...
    https://www.korg.com/us/products/tuners/pitchblack/page_1.php

Sweetwater has them right now for $49.99 (they're usually in the $79.99 tange)
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-pitchblack-advance-tuner-pedal-metallic-blue

ps. I bought one of the Peterson StroboStomp pedal tuners back in about 2007-ish (funny shaped blue box)... claimed to be "true bypass" but was a total tone-sucker when it was OFF. I wouldn't give you 3 cents for a Peterson product after that.

-------------------------

(one of) The original makers of a "strobotuner" would be Conn (back to the 1940's, maybe earlier, I don't know)... before everything got miniaturized and squished down into a plastic clip on, these were found back stage at many a national act show in the 70s:
    70s Conn Strobotuner.jpg

And in the 1940s, Conn was making these, they ran on vacuum tubes... This is a 1943 Conn Strobotuner:
    1943 Conn Strobotuner.jpg

Strap THAT to your Seagull acoustic headstock, hahahahahaha

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  19. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

I think leaving one of those gawdy, ugly things on my guitar at home would be esthetically offensive, unnecessary, and disrespectful to my dog.

20. CRMCRM

CRMCRM Tele-Meister

I really like the TC Electronics Polytune. I think that I have 4 of them. Three of them stay on my most played guitars. One stays on the music stand, ready for whichever instrument I pick up next.

I still have some of the D'Addario mini tuners on some ukuleles. I gave away most of my Snarks. The Snarks work, but they break easily and they seem to eat batteries even when not in use.

I have not tried the Peterson.

Tab 12 and tce63 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.