Decent 6” Speaker

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jesse1973, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Jesse1973

Jesse1973 TDPRI Member

Was recently gifted a Fender Champion”600”.Are there any speakers worth swapping into it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. havlma1

havlma1 TDPRI Member

Depends what sound you are after, but if you like it stock, just keep it stock. I've tried Jensen P6V (bit thin, but apart of that very nice sound), Weber Ceramic Sig (didn't like it a tall) and Jensen Mod/Chicago 6 (similar to the stock, but not as nice). At the moment I run it with the stock Fender speaker again ;)

3. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    The best thing I found to do with mine is replace the grill cloth. The stock speaker is ok once broken in but I picked up a vintage Jensen off the bay and love it.

IMG_20180803_155358574.jpg CIMG0284.JPG

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Fwiw, tweedman21, I don’t see anything there on that speaker that indicates it is a Jensen. The only numbers I see are ‘21201’, and those are not Jensen numbers. Are there some numbers on the frame? I mention this in case Jesse1973
    Starts looking for a Jensen. Unless that speaker has a 202xyy code, it is not a Jensen ime.
    Re: that 21201..... I am not familiar with ‘21’ as a manufacturer’s identifying code. Here is a fairly extensive list of EIA codes
    http://www.thespeakershop.com/speakerrepair/eiacodes.html

5. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

Jensen is "220" not 202. I think I may see a number starting with "137", which would make it a CTS speaker, but it is hard to see.
    Al

Wally likes this.
  6. tweedman2001

Here's another pic
    Jensen speaker2.jpg
    Jensen  speaker1.jpg

Wally likes this.
  7. Wally

There it is! Thanks. That frame is a different thing from any Jensen I have seen.

corliss1 likes this.
  8. Wally

Zombiewoof, thanks for the correction....fingers got crossed....or was it a mental crossup????

9. tweedman2001

Wally, I think it was out of a movie projector extension speaker. I've never seen one quite like it either. Love that I don't have to worry about the power cord damaging the cone. :)

Wally likes this.
  10. strat1

strat1 TDPRI Member

I went through the speaker swap with mine years ago. Started stock, then with a Jensen Mod which wasn't much better than the stock speaker which was a little rattly when pushed. I put a Weber Signature 6 Alnico and it was the best of all the speakers that was in there. It is really tight and smooth sounding. As others mentioned, replace the grill cloth for a more open tone as well.

11. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

Weber released that speaker in Alnico and Ceramic when those little amps with 6 inchers were first on the market and people were looking to upgrade the stock units. I thought they had stopped making the Alnico version at one point, did you get that speaker used or new?.
    Al

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.