Death Wish Coffee

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Sep 15, 2020 at 1:32 PM.

1. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

This is my current fave. Best enjoyed black. Superb coffee..

660A218E-72D0-49BD-8719-14B78FB55B08.jpeg

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  2. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Death Wish is a local company where I live. I've never had it. I prefer a medium roast just shy of second crack.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  3. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Don't you grind it first?

4. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

premium coffee, like craft beer, jumped the shark long ago.

Deathray, Dan R, StevesBoogie and 2 others like this.
  5. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Dark roasted coffee has less caffeine in it than medium or lighter roasts (the caffeine breaks down during the roast). It's counter-intuitive because of the taste of dark roast coffee (it's so roasty and strong!) but it's true.

So that light roast, floral, almost citrusy coffee the fru fru place serves? Probably higher in caffeine than the SUPER MANLY GODZILLA BLACK OIL NUCLEAR BOOOOOOOOMB KILLA COFFEE is.

I usually get Peets because (a) I order and it's sent out that day, so it's very fresh, which is key to good coffee, (b) because they source good stuff but don't get too precious with anything crazy expensive or "rare", (c) because I like dark roast coffee and Peets does a very good job of getting a deep roast without burning it, and (d) because it's very good, very consistent, and not overly expensive (I usually pay $16-17/lb).

And I guess (e) they have a good mix of blended and single-origin coffees, which I very much appreciate. I love some good Kenyan or Ethiopian coffees (as well as others).

6. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I've been haunting this place since the early 80s. Used to be a hip little bar with live music and great coffee. They got rid of the bar and live music in the 90s. Now it is simply a roastery...and my favorite. Just got 3 lbs in last week. Thank god they sell online.

https://www.kaffeeklatsch.com/

I got a pound each of the Timor, Ethiopian and Yemeni coffee...beans only, of course. Works out to about $0.50 per one of my 14oz cups. I figure a dollar a day for the best coffee is a good deal. Aeropress...easy peasy.

Community coffee...terrible stuff, unless you get the stuff that is cut with Chicory. I drank a lot of that when I lived in Lafayette.

teletail likes this.
  7. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Very much along the lines of my preferences. If I happen to find myself at a Trader Joe's I will get their "Organic Fair Trade Shade Grown" Ethiopian, but my main standby is Peet's Major Dickison.

Obsessed and drf64 like this.
  8. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Long before Starbucks, there was Peet's

drmordo and superbadj like this.
  9. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Not sure what the current situation is, but when I lived downtown (1998-2003) they had music again and beer/wine...maybe liquor too. I played there a few times, but they also had “real” musicians. I even saw Claire Lynch play there once! Anyway, you are right about their coffee...it’s great!

trapdoor2 likes this.
  10. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm always on the lookout for good coffee. We have a local place, Lost Dog Coffee, but they are so slow that if there are 2 people in line ahead of you, you often stand there for 10 minutes or more. I just get too frustrated.

trapdoor2 likes this.
  11. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Meister

LOL Pualee!!! You and me both!! Absolutely zero interest in changing my coffee. Now if my mother-in-law can only take the hint!

12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I do this everyday: Dark roast coffee mixed with coconut oil, butter, cocoa, cinnamon, and sweetener. Beat to death with a high-speed mixer.

All the fat becomes infused with the caffeine during the mixing process, so the caffeine lift is gradual, sustaining, you don't even feel the let down at the end. But you definitely have to use a high-speed mixer, or it looks like the contents of a septic tank...

Telecastoff1 and koolaide like this.
  13. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a Cafe Bustelo man myself.

bendercaster and Junkyard Dog like this.
  14. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I avoid the "we are coffee roasters" places . They are invariably coffee bean burners. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Bitter, acidic, wretched.

I do a french press with organic Sumatran at home. Very satisfying.

Dan R likes this.
  15. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

when i want a really good cup of coffee, i go to mcdonalds.

Rocky058 and StevesBoogie like this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Lately, I've given a pass to fancypants coffee. i get this and use it in my espresso machine. Simple.

[​IMG]

archetype, Junkyard Dog and maj34 like this.
  17. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Meister

We got some of the Death Wish coffee at work and it was ok. I don't really get into super dark roast coffee. The funny part is that after we finished it, we went back to the standard Eight O'Clock Coffee that I prefer and people were complaining about getting jittery. One guy said the Eight O'Clock made him "talk funny".

Reminds me of a Tony Levin story from his biography. When he was in college he played in a jazz band with and old drummer who drank straight gin thru a straw all night long. Finally Levin asked him why he drinks gin thru a straw, and the guy responded (I always imagine a gravelly voice), "because it makes it stronger."

With regard to Starbucks, they ran me off years ago. Their standard coffee used to be their House Blend, which is good stuff, but they switched to the current swill several years back, and I'm certain they did it to upsell people to better coffees. Makes me mad and since then I do not go there unless it's the only place around. I'll drink Burger King garbage before I'll give Starbucks a dime.

Rocky058 and DonM like this.
  18. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I have a pack of Death cigarettes I bought about 20 years ago.

19. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

yup - better as a tee-shirt

if you want to go spendio, put your coins down for real Kona (not a blend)
    Or Civet Coffee (yes, the stuff that passes through a Vietnamese cat digestive tract)

Method from bean to cup matters - my actual best cup was Clover Process.
    When tasting for best, be willing to drink it black/clean, and leave the syrup, powders, froo-froo behind, OR buy cheaper coffee and doll it up all you want.
    Same way you would w/ top-shelf booze (sip it neat) vs factory plonk (add lime, juice, ginger ale, tonic, etc) - pinkie up . . .

as always YMMV

Peace - Deeve

20. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

They decided that it was just too much trouble to keep the bar open...and concentrated on coffee.

I used to see Claire and the band down on South Parkway. Super nice people, she would always come by my table and say hi. We have matching Gallagher guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.