1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Death of a lap steel

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by swooda, Feb 27, 2007.

1. swooda

swooda Tele-Holic

Thanks for the sympathy guys. Contacted a local luther and he's gonna give the repair a shot. Soon as I can snag my camera back from my daughter I'll post some before and hopefully after shots.

The neck broke right where it joins the body, probably the worst spot. It is a bolt on neck held in place by two screws. Who knows ol' Papino may sing again........

2. Poppatwang

Poppatwang Friend of Leo's

Has your local guy repaired bakelite before? If not, I'd bite the bullet &
    send to someone who has. Papino doesn't need to be someone's science experiment.

3. RelicStrat

RelicStrat Tele-Meister

I feel for you. If it had been mine, this thread would be titled "Death of a Bass Player".

4. jeffhigh

jeffhigh Tele-Meister

Agree with Poppatwang if he hasn't done bakelite before then at least find out the best product to use.
    With the break at that position, I would be inclined to install two threaded rods as reinforcement.

Btw big mike, I also have a '36 Silver Hawaiian Ric, love the sound of it.

5. ralphie

ralphie Tele-Holic

Resurrecting this thread hoping to hear that the repair went well...?

6. swooda

swooda Tele-Holic

No she's still sitting in the case in pieces. Had a couple of people look at the damage but it's a difficult repair at best. I resurected an old fifties model National lap that I've been using but it doesn't touch the Rick tone wise. I just fired the bass player that busted it last week. Not because he broke my steel but it certainly didn't help.......

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.