Dear diary, what a build it's been.............

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by crazydave911, May 20, 2011.

1. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Now that I'm officially over the effects (and after effects) of the 2011 Build Challenge, it's time to make some wood chips :). I thought I'd start off by finishing some things I'd started before the Challenge and go from there.
    I guess I need to reflect a little on the Build Challenge. For one thing, I feel privileged to have been a part of it, and am still in awe of some the fine people I met and worked with over the 2 months. I'm convinced, some of the finest people on this planet are on this forum.
    I'm also very humbled at the things I've learned, the things I knew, and the things I thought I knew about guitar building. As the first build in this series will show, I'd gotten stuck in my ways of doing things, and hadn't grown much as a builder in a long time. One very good thing about the Challenge, I was ashamed to build one of my old rough and ready jobs (that were for my enjoyment only), and go back to more a more conventional, and more precision build. I hadn't pushed myself in some time, and had really resisted using templates as I was making them for myself and didn't really care if someone liked the looks besides me. But that approach had stunted my growth and not really helped my wallet all that much. So with much trepidation, and anticipation, let's get rolling! :lol:

Dave

bcorig likes this.
  2. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Dear diary; You know that shellac-over-enamel/body idea for a fast drying body finish: Well... think Neapolitan/Waterloo, Sampson/babe... sort of like wearin' kryptonite undies... :lol:

Hey Dave - Where we goin' - I'm following along here.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  3. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

4. njg12171

njg12171 Tele-Meister

Riding the coattails to see where they lead... Still waiting for the blasted rain to stop so I can finish spraying Laquer, just need time for about 5 thin clear coats doggone it!!!!!(just to finally finish my challenge fail) So went back to work on the SG style and the upside down neck thru... Oh yeah and had this wild hare about a hardtail strat with a tortiose guard and my favorite pau ferro fb, got the poplar body and cherry droptop glued up, and the neck laid out, btw it may get bound in tortiose binding as well, I do have a love of bound flattop solids.... SO lead on Dave, Lead on.....:twisted:

5. crazydave911

First up: A 24" scale thru neck tele

First and most interesting in my backlog of stuff needing doing is this little Tele. It all started when I bought some stair treads for the house I now live in. They were pine (new growth unfortunately) , perfectly machined and laminated almost 12" wide and 1" thick.............Hmmmmmm. This started wheels turning that probably shouldn't have :lol:, kinda like this scrap-box assembly I did during the Challenge just to take my mind off the one I was supposed to be working on :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    I cleaned out the junk box putting Old Blue here together :lol:, and spent most of today figuring out photo hosting :oops:

But enough of that, here's the first star of our show,
    [​IMG]
    On the left an unmolested stair tread, on the right, a more familiar shape ;)

The one thing about building like this, it's a lot more exacting than it may seem, as every move/cut you make influences the next dozen. Here I've just drilled for the bridge
    [​IMG]
    Which we see here
    [​IMG]

I finally got started on the maple fretboard (I seem to have tons of maple fretboard blanks :confused:). I used the last of my walnut fretboard markers I had on hand and actually slotted the board the same time as my Challenge build. For some reason I hate slotting and by the time I finally do, there's usually a waiting list and I do 'em all at once
    [​IMG]
    Here it is laying beside the mahogany veneer that will go under the board, not only for decorative purposes, but also to bring the fretboard up to the level of one on a normal tele. Those that can count, will probably notice a miscue on my part that I didn't notice until I had the board glued on :mad:

One other loose end before I hit the sack. I mentioned the stair tread wasn't quite wide enough. As I laid out the complete assembly on the board, I overlapped the drawing over to the flat side. After cutting this out, on the leftover portion of the board, I had about 14" of the flat side left and simply flipped it around to glue up to the body assembly. The joining on these boards is so good you can't even tell which side it was (didn't think I planned that well did you?). As Bob Ross used to say, "happy accidents" :)

Good night everyone ;)

Dave

6. crazydave911

7. crazydave911

LOL, your just like me, wayyyyyyyy too many irons in the fire :lol:. Plus, I bought that Template Generator software (check out the thread) to be able to fulfill another dream build I've had for years. I will build that one, I've thought about that thing way too many years ;). Hint, it will have 2 pickups (what? that's not much of a hint? :lol:). Let's just say it is not a tele, and will be a combo of two brother student guitars, just all grown up :twisted:

Dave

8. whodatpat

whodatpat Friend of Leo's

I scored a RIGID 13 inch planer in mint shape with the base for $200 on craigslist today. So I am making three of my licensee plate resonators.

9. crazydave911

Cool Pat! :cool: Now I'm all jealous and stuff :lol:

10. crazydave911

Good morning folks! :), now where was I? :lol:. Oh yes, the fretboard, here is the fretboard and veneer before being glued up ;)

[​IMG]

After cutting the taper into the fretboard (as marked using the neck), I'm gluing the veneer to the board

[​IMG]

Here is the finished fretboard beside the somewhat preshaped neck. I will do the final shaping after glue up. Sorry I'm not showing many action shots here. I'd already done some shaping of the neck during the challenge build (as therapy :lol:) and was not going to risk mixing the photos :)

[​IMG]

Oh, as an aside, I forgot to tell you that after cutting out the body/neck assembly, I glued a baltic birch ply on the back. I did this to bring the thickness up to 1 1/4" sure, but also to protect the soft pine back. The top will get it's own protection as well :twisted:

[​IMG]

As you can see in that pic, I've already drilled the guide holes for the control cavity. A side note here too, I'd used birch ply on the back, as I had intended to paint it later (so why waste a nice piece of say, oak or walnut, right?) but it's kinda starting to grow on me. I guess I'll know more when I lay the shellac later, as I normally use that as primer under ply ;)

11. Olav

Olav Tele-Afflicted

I like the look of that Birch ply too. Nice. Very curious to see how this guitar is gonna hold up over time. As you're way more experienced than I am in using these 'off' woods and non adjust rods I'll have to keep a close eye on this one. A pine body is cool. A pine neck is cold. A onepiece pine guitar (not counting the birch back) is Polarbear country.

12. crazydave911

Well, that was a good breakfast :lol:, now to continue. Here is the finished control cavity, I'll leave it like this for now until I can get the proper size bit for my router to do the ledge for the cover
    [​IMG]

Here is the tape prep on the top before gluing on the fretboard
    [​IMG]

And finally gluing under clamps. I use small brads to index my boards during glue up. Yet another thing I've learned here :)
    [​IMG]

Now here out of the clamps, before reaming the tuners holes ;)
    [​IMG]

Here are the fitted tuners. I've fallen in love with these Gotoh minis, and with the staggered holes/posts, no dratted string trees :rolleyes: (don't get me started :rolleyes:)
    [​IMG]

13. crazydave911

Cool! Kinda warming to it, we'll see

Well, if we look a little closer, it's not one piece, the stair tread was laminated from 5 alternating 1" thick pine boards using exterior grade glue. Now the pine it's self may certainly be suspect. It's not near as close-grained as I normally like.
    Also, as you will see shortly, in carving the neck, I'm taking that into account. I'm going for a thick, boattail profile as I didn't have the funds/time to pickup a 5/16" steel rod like I'd normally use on pine. It's still 1/4" steel, but with a maple fretboard and ungodly thick profile :lol:
    For what it's worth, my old "piney" bedside guitar is one pine board, with a maple fretboard. He turns 25 this year :)

14. whodatpat

whodatpat Friend of Leo's

What you don't love the tin screws from StewMac breaking off on your headstock?[​IMG]

15. Olav

Olav Tele-Afflicted

You are way too modest. You know I mean neck and body from one piece but insist on pointing out it's got a this on here and a that on there and there wasn't enough whatever to to do whocares. Why?
    You build a great looking, sounding and no doubt playing guitar and should be able to take a compliment without feeling you need to make excuses for anything. C'mon, don't blush, take a bow, you got fans.

16. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

Enjoying this build, Dave. Good to see you back in action.

Where do you get those Gotoh tuners, and for how much?
    I like the idea of no string trees.

Since the challenge I've been doing something strange: you
    take one of these things we've been building, and you can
    actually make sounds with it! :lol:

17. crazydave911

:mad::mad::mad:..................uh, no :lol:

Only if I have to
    [​IMG]

Thanks ;)

Normally here LINK, not that he stocks the inline normally, but he can get you darn near anything. When that fails, I go here LINK. And yes, a POX on string trees! :lol:

:eek::eek: Really? I'll have to check that out.....................:lol:

18. crazydave911

Now I get to shape a neck (oh goody :)). In this pic I'm just starting to get some of the thickness taken off, and as you can see the little knot up next to the body is gone now :)
    [​IMG]

In this one you can see the final profile (yup, a ball bat.....:lol:). I'll be the first to admit, this particular wood makes it hard to see that :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

I was just about to radius the fretboard when number 2 son called me to supper (and saved me a great headache)
    [​IMG]

When I returned later (full of optimism), said son innocently points out I've gotten the fretmarkers off, from the 12th fret down :eek:. And so it was, hoist on me own petard as it were :oops:. So this is what I got to do the rest of the evening :mad:
    [​IMG]
    Funny how hard it is to think straight when one is kicking one's a$$. I drilled the ones at the 12th fret out perfectly, requiring normal, little bitty dowel plugs. My anger and impatience altered that slightly on the next three. Funny, I do believe 5/16 dowels will show up much better (NOT, what I wanted) than the little 1/4 dowels will. And of couse I was out of walnut, funds were low (and Woodcraft is 45 miles away...........sigh) so I used the darkest oak I had for the new replacements :rolleyes: (yeh, let's pull a Bill Gates.................it's a all new feature, two toned fretmarkers :D), nope, ain't buying that :lol::lol::lol:

19. Olav

Olav Tele-Afflicted

You mentioned you have tons of maple fretboard blanks lying around... Wouldn't ripping the board off and starting over be an option? I'd hate to see you go through all that effort and end up with a BillGatesified guitar...
    Don't leave us hanging... You know what happens next! C'mon!

20. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

Thanks, Dave. I've never heard about moongazemusic.com before,
    but the prices look good. I've used azguitarparts.com several
    times, but last time had a very bad experience and won't use
    that seller again.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.