Dean DeLeo Tone on ‘Plush’

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Hey there! I hope you are well. Dunno if this is the right subforum, mods please move if it’ll get better answers elsewhere.

My cover band, The SweatHogs, plan to cover this. Not a complicated song, aside from getting the dragged out beat grooving. However, that tone! I’m certainly hearing some chorus. It’s shimmery, but still tight as a frog’s bottom!

I dont need to nail this, so a rig rundown isn’t necessary. However, I have the Les Paul copy, good tube amps and a plethora of pedals, both dirt and modulation.

For poops and giggles, how would you approach it?

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Hey there! I hope you are well. Dunno if this is the right subforum, mods please move if it’ll get better answers elsewhere.

My cover band, The SweatHogs, plan to cover this. Not a complicated song, aside from getting the dragged out beat grooving. However, that tone! I’m certainly hearing some chorus. It’s shimmery, but still tight as a frog’s bottom!

I dont need to nail this, so a rig rundown isn’t necessary. However, I have the Les Paul copy, good tube amps and a plethora of pedals, both dirt and modulation.

I never dig into getting other people’s tones, doesn’t sound like you do, either. I never noticed any modulation, but I haven’t listened to it since it was new. When I covered that song, I just ran bridge humbucker into the dirt channel of my JCM900 and called it a day. Sounded great to me.

I do think it requires a lot less gain than most folks use to cover it. That’s where all that clarity comes from. Of course, most things are like that. I always giggle a little at the ridiculous gobs of distortion that most cover band guitar players use for stuff like this.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
I never dig into getting other people’s tones, doesn’t sound like you do, either. I never noticed any modulation, but I haven’t listened to it since it was new. When I covered that song, I just ran bridge humbucker into the dirt channel of my JCM900 and called it a day. Sounded great to me.

I do think it requires a lot less gain than most folks use to cover it. That’s where all that clarity comes from. Of course, most things are like that. I always giggle a little at the ridiculous gobs of distortion that most cover band guitar players use for stuff like this.
I don’t sweat it, but I like to give it a just go.

I was jamming along with my Orange. The crunch was a little wooly, as expected from citrus tone. I’m going to try it with my VOX.

Agreed on over-distortion! Something that took a long time for me to break. A classic example is Malcolm Young’s sound. I used to up the gain for AC/DC covers, it just seemed intuitive. However, after watching him play, I realized half his distortion comes from him bashing the crap outta that Gretch. There was no way he was running his amps so hard. After adjusting my gain and my playing, I got closer than ever.

He uses almost all basic chords (seriously, I’ve never seen his fretting hand above the third) and they often sound like mucky poop with high gain. Same with Plush.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Tried again and you were right (for my gear) to play it straight. As mentioned, the Orange is already wooly and chorus just made it worse. I just took advantage of the lightly overdriven Orange saturated chime and shaped it a bit with a Bad Monkey OD to add some compression. Voilà!!

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
on the studio recording there are several guitars in the mix It sounds to me like the main guitar track is split, with a fairly clean, dry crunch straight up the middle, with the split sent to a very mild stereo chorus panned hard left and right. The arpeggiated guitar also has a mild chorus on it.

Chuckster

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Not sure about basic chords... Dean is well known for sliding in obscure jazz chords that can be very difficult to transition (for me, anyway).
I was trying to sharpen up my rendition of Interstate and watched some of this guy's vids, and some of the chords just killed me.
Good video, good teacher, but freakishly long fingers, especially his pinky. He has blocked embedding, so here's the link:

pippoman

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter

We used to cover that song and I enjoyed playing it. I used a clean amp setting and relied on my BD-2 for the crunch and sprinkled a little chorus in there. Close enough to deliver the tune. I used a clean setting only because we covered so much material, but Dean always played with a little crunch, so I would imagine his pedal lineup was rather scarce. On the chorus where he’s singing “when the dogs do find her, go time….” there’s some nice, but unusual, chops being played. They’re not difficult to play but hard to decipher because of the heavy vocals and bass line. DeLeo plays some very nice riffs and is capable of doing a lot more intricate playing. He’s a great example of playing for the band and not trying to showboat. “And So I Know” is a good example of Dean’s tasteful playing, but they typically a very heavy band.

Last edited:

thechad

Tele-Holic
I think the song would sound just fine with a slightly dirty guitar. There is a definitely chorus going on in that song. If your chorus pedal can’t dial in a passable version of the song (slow rate and high depth) I would say to do without. But maybe try getting the chorus sound right first, then add some dirt. If you start off with the guitar distorted it’ll be harder to dial in the chorus.

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's

@Mexitele Blues plays in a Stone Temple Pilots tribute band. Maybe he'll chime in here.

Mexitele Blues

Tele-Afflicted
@Mexitele Blues plays in a Stone Temple Pilots tribute band. Maybe he'll chime in here.
Thanks for the smoke signal, Harry.

Pretty sure @Peegoo nailed the wet/dry/wet setup, and @Jakedog is right about using less gain than you think. The layers on the recording impart a big thick sound and one can overdo the distortion trying to recreate that heft.

Playing this live, my signal chain goes Tele > Graphic EQ boosting mids & highs > Analog chorus slow & wide > Crunchy Vox AC10c1 > 12" Scumback.

It's a true crowd pleaser, always gets a great response.

Video shot from in front of the subs, you've been warned.

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Not sure about basic chords... Dean is well known for sliding in obscure jazz chords that can be very difficult to transition (for me, anyway).
I was trying to sharpen up my rendition of Interstate and watched some of this guy's vids, and some of the chords just killed me.
Good video, good teacher, but freakishly long fingers, especially his pinky. He has blocked embedding, so here's the link:

On a quick listen his version doesn’t sound right to me and I think makes the song more complex than it is.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
We have a company party coming up in Sept, and around 15 bands made up of employees will regale the attendees with two or three tunes apiece. Myself and a few pals will be doing an STP set with this tune, Interstate Love Song, and Down. They are all a whole lot of fun to play and sing. I may drag out the LP Junior for this shindig.

wildschwein

Friend of Leo's
Les Paul straight into a cranked Marshall for that one; although the studio guitar track is built from multiple layers. I still remember seeing the tab in a guitar magazine when the tune first came out saying something like 'multiple parts arranged for one guitar'. I agree that some subtle chorus could help a bit.

Last edited:

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I thought @Mexitele Blues ’ version hit the more obscure chords I remember from that song, and sounded about as true to it as a person could do with a single guitar in a live setting. I suspect the recorded original version also has some thickening layers of less complex voicings less extensions making the whole sound more crunchy/power chord-y, but if you’re going to do it live with one guitar, the parts he chose to recreate convey a more authentic sound than if someone chose the more crunchy “normal rock chords” route.

Nice cover, I thought.

takauya

Tele-Meister
On a quick listen his version doesn’t sound right to me and I think makes the song more complex than it is.
You mean the chords in verse? He actually plays some notes which are not there but close.
There's Rick Beato's analysis video on ISL.

Correct chords are:
X-X-X-X
5-4-2-2
6-5-1-1
6-6-3-2
4-3-2-1
X-X-X-X

To me it sounds like those typical jazz/bossa nova inverted chords are what Robert likes to use, and Dean frequently uses folky open voicings such as the first two chords in verse of Sour Girl:
5-5
3-6
0-5
4-0
X-X
5-6

There are a ton of voicings like these in STP songs.

Last edited:

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Today’s rehearsal went well. I used my T-Top Les Paul copy and Orange Rocker 15 Terror. This amp will just not co-operate with a chorus effect when even slightly overdriven. Too many notes just fart out on attack. Instead, I used my MXR Reverb’s ‘MOD’ setting. It gave an appropriate amount of sparkle and shimmer, though lacked that pulse DeLeo gets with his setup.

Mexitele Blues

Tele-Afflicted
1660181290745.png