Dealing with Noise Complaining Neighbors

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap Trills, Jan 20, 2020.

How would you handle the knocking on the wall during your practice at 2pm?

1. Keep playing and let them complain to the landlord

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. Stop playing or turn it down to minimum levels

66 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Knock on their door and talk about it

63 vote(s)
    37.3%
  4. Turn up the volume so you can't hear the knocking

16 vote(s)
    9.5%
  5. Other, will post the best solution on the thread

18 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

When I lived in an apartment, I kept my practicing volume low-just as I would have hoped my rap, punk, and dance music loving neighbors would have done with their stereos.

Askwhy likes this.
  2. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Sometimes you have to deal with someone who's just crazy.
    I made records for years in my apartment: all kinds, including a fair share of Chicano gangster rap with pumping 808s...)
    I'm on the sixth floor of a poured concrete building: it's like a castle.
    Then a guy moves in below me who complains all the time... and it doesn't even matter if I'm home.
    He became famous in the building by complaining about my noise when I was exactly 12 time zones away in Azerbaijan. Then he did it when I was in Istanbul: twice.
    Moscow.
    Berlin.
    And, just on the other side of Los Angeles.
    What can I do?
    If I actually play anything and he calls (it has to be pretty loud) I stop immediately.
    Don't do much recording here anymore. (Though I did cut 90% of the Spain album Carolina in here...)))

telemnemonics likes this.
  3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

The students were right to call the cops. Babies are noisy.

4. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Not everyone works days. Maybe 2:00PM is right in the middle of your neighbor's night

5. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

yes I did ,
    I worked for a lot of the major concerts in town ,ZZtop came in and I was able to get up and personal with Billy G's set up Elwood , BG's guitar tech was a super guy ( amazing by all stretches of the imagination , he used Marshall preamps , Marshall power amps and an ISO box, ) this what gave me the idea , a box with in a box lined with 2" of acoustic insolation between them the bottom portions of the box have tuned ports to and slanted baffles to allow the SPL's to breakup the standing waves and escape the inner box so the speaker ( 100 watt Jensen 12") to breath on the back end , there are 2X2" baffle ports from the top box to the bottom to kill any compressions from the speaker allowing the speaker to move and not over heat, I mic'ed the box with a sennheiser E609 on axis and a beyerdynamic off axis and fed that output up to the console in the studio to monitor with headphones or over the monitor system and it feeds directly to the computers to logic.

Scan_2.jpeg

I ran some cursery checks this is what I found using a Marshall JCM 800 4104 and a 65 fender BF RI twin

Scan_3.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  7. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

This...

8. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Forgive me for not reading into the OP. I'll do better next time.

MilwMark likes this.
  9. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've always been amazed by your meticulousness in these things. What a pro!

24 track likes this.
  10. 24 track

thank you very much :D

william tele likes this.
  11. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

I know Brooklyn may be a large part of the OPs "cred", but maybe consider dropping the hip zip code for wider spaces. Loud practice in a residence with shared walls is a D-move.

I feel like more details are needed, but moving seems like the best long term option. Exchanging harsh words or just saying "F*** it, keep going" will end poorly for you.

12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

fair enough.

13. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

Get yourself a headphone set-up. You can play really cranked (even better, played over recorded rhythm parts you made, even better practice!) ... and they won't even know you're wailing into a jam session with the band (or at least a bass player, learn to play basslines and then use EQ and maybe an octave divider you'll get by with a regular guitar if you think about that for a bit) ... you'll make lots of progress at all aspects of playing which can only improve your guitar playing TONS and no one will bother you at all. Knowing other parts of songs (and being able to create something with even limited skill) always makes you a better player when you're with other musicians.

14. ping-ping-clicka

I watched a rig run down about the reverends stage setup and they mentioned his
    isolation cab, when I saw yours and quality of the contraption I thought of Bill G's
    Thanks for the information and-illustrations. I'm impressed,....really impressed.
    can you store a six pack in it to keep the beers cold for the after set beers?

:rolleyes:

24 track likes this.
  15. 24 track

most indoubitably!:lol::lol::lol:

but i did get this from Santa

P1012323.JPG P1012324.JPG

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  16. ping-ping-clicka

24 track likes this.
  17. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Sorry for not responding to this thread for a while. I was confused with some of the responses, then re-read my post... to clarify/correct myself, I meant 2 on the dial, not 2 o'clock.

Otherwise, thanks for some of the advice and suggestions. I've actually been doing apartment living for the better part of 23 years now, and I've run the gamut from practicing on my Aria Sinsonio silent guitar back in Boston, having external practice spaces, using a little zoom multi fx pocket thing with headphone out for years, even taping up the soundhole on ymclassical when i lived somewhere with very thin walls.. These days, I have a large apartment 1500 sq/ft apt with sound proofed walls (althought like i said, sound can leak through). The normal room I play in is next to a stairwell and surrounded by the rest of the apt on all other sides so it works out well to play at volumes loud enough to enjoy the amp. On this day, I brought the amp into the master bedroom bc my son and his mom were out of town and I wanted to play with the sun on my face for once. So that's the back story.. I was a bit frustrated because it was my day to play with my toys and I wasn't able to.

I saw the neighbor recently, he keeps to himself. He's late 20's early 30's, no kids or pets or company that I've seen. I nod my head when we make eye contact, but he kind of just ignores me and, as far as I can tell, the other people in the building.

18. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

i like living in a loud neighborhood because i feel no guilt about playing my music loud.

although the punk band on the back porch did get the cops called on us at the 4th of july.

19. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

20. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You need to make peace with your neighbors. maybe give them a gift they can use: :lol:
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.