Dealing with Noise Complaining Neighbors

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap Trills, Jan 20, 2020.

How would you handle the knocking on the wall during your practice at 2pm?

1. Keep playing and let them complain to the landlord

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. Stop playing or turn it down to minimum levels

66 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Knock on their door and talk about it

63 vote(s)
    37.3%
  4. Turn up the volume so you can't hear the knocking

16 vote(s)
    9.5%
  5. Other, will post the best solution on the thread

18 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Don't forget the rhythmic "ba-bump, ba- bump" of traffic passing over warped manhole covers.

NYC Girlfriend had a crib on the fringes of Park Slope in the '80s. I say "fringes" 'cuz that was on the edge of a rough neighborhood back then.

The Old School East Coast lowrider was usually a slammed bright red Nissan Spentra w/ Pirelli P7s on white Paddy Hopkirk wheels. P7s were the original wide ultra high performance radial, see?

Rap music wasn't quite a thing yet at the time and anyway, you be the Leader of the Opposition with your lowered Spentra and several hundred watts of mariachi music blaring at 3:00 a.m. ...

Ever notice Van Halen's "Running With the Devil" solo sounds like a mariachi trumpet solo?!

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

And you know what?
    I love all that city noise!
    Cities have many rhythms like the manhole cover, el trains have kachunk kachunk of IDK what misaligned rails plus the screeeching, cars crossing RR tracks, then the doppler effect of sirens approaching and receding, sirens telling you the event might be nearby and worth running out to see, now and then violent screaming that's close enough you might actually help somebody getting assaulted, or just a burglar trying to break in your front door.
    Seems they need to add the manual staccato baa baa baa to the siren whooOOOoo because locals just stop noticing familiar sounds and don't get out of the way for an ambulance or fire engine.

Even now in the relative quiet I strain to listen, awake or sleeping.
    New sounds from the Christmas lights outside where birds land waiting for the feeder.
    Old sounds the oil burner makes that will one day sound different indicating my furnace has broken and I have no heat.
    Cars and trucks and snowplows go by, or they might stop and be in my driveway requiring I grab the shotgun.

Driving is the same, engine noise, transmission noise, tire noise, wind noise, so many sounds to sift through.
    I lived in an apartment building fondly known as Hell House for a while near Harvard Square.
    At the corner of Beacon and Washington across the street from Studley's bar.
    Tractor trailers at the light rattled my windows. Drum kit in my room and in the same front room two floors up.
    We were loud...

In Brooklyn one of my old Marshalls picked up what sounded like Mexican radio, but of course we had Dominican and Puerto Rican locals more than Mexican. Mariachi is a little like Dominican Merengue music, and one bodega I liked often had musicians sitting around playing music. Seems like they had saxes rather than trumpets, but maybe that was just the Brooklyn Merengue.
    They assured me that this was the REAL Merengue!

Now in the quiet of Maine I listen to my oil burner?
    Gimme some noise!

3. telemnemonics

Here we go, Merengue!
    A Brooklyn favorite!
    Coming soon to a Bodega near you!

4. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Messing with a person's livelihood because of your judgement of who they were showing the house to? Nice! I'm sure you would be fine with similar type circumstances affecting your livelihood.

5. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

You sound cool, but even saying knock on the door is putting them in an uncomfortable situation. And you do realize by asking if it was you or a CD or appearing curious about what you were playing, they were really just politely telling you you are too loud? Yes?

6. Unison Bend

Unison Bend TDPRI Member

THR10 - 10C

7. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I don't think telling people ahead of time they might hear something so that if there is an issue you are open to whatever it takes to not have it not become anything that can't be dealt with by reasonable people. We live in close quarters, there will be bleed through, whether it's a TV, kids playing, people talking loudly. With me it could be music. I'm pretty good about volume control and I usually look in the parking lot to see who is home. I hear neighbors loud cars, music, kids, the landscaping crew, etc. It's just life, the trick is balance and doing what you can to not step on everyone else's toes

As far as the CD comment, at that time I had an amp on a wall that is by an open stairway, not adjacent living spaces at maybe 6-7 PM as she was getting home from work.

I did have a neighbor once that was a guitar player which is cool until he'd get home from a gig at 2 AM and still want to play at gig volume. That's just being an idiot

8. stratoman1

I have a DB app but I'd really like to get it it calibrated. I don't think it's very accurate

9. chet again

chet again Tele-Afflicted

I had one about 20 years ago. Yeah, they're loud.

MilwMark likes this.
  10. stratoman1

I'm right by Oceana NAS. F 18s are pretty good at being loud. Before I moved to where I am now I was right by where they started lining up for final approach. I'm still close but not right under them now

electrichead likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

Sounds like all the experiences you've had with other people hearing you play music have been bad?
    Or is it more that all the people you know just think music is bad?
    And all the people you know also prefer the good fences neighbor, and maybe one only associates with their own kind rather than appreciating a variety of people?

I've found over the years that:
    People like music, but also need quiet time.
    People like friendly people but also might need to get used to strangers.
    Some people can be taken at their word but others speak with forked tongue.
    With practice and effort, people can live around people who have different views, needs, and communication styles.

Rowdyman likes this.
  12. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

8 pages of comments, nothing from OP.

Wallo Tweed, brbadg and Bassman8 like this.
  13. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The livelihood you speak of made out just fine. The house sold. Just not to a creep.
    Welcome to the cornfield.

electrichead likes this.
  14. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Right? If that was the case, all business hours would be 11pm-7am. I'd actually prefer that honestly.

And for all those explaining how to approach the neighbor, it's the neighbor that's wanting something. He should do the approaching, imo. Instead he's gonna sit over there & passively/aggressively bang on the wall & eventually call your landlord.

2pm? Geesh. We live in a world where the rights of all kowtow to the demands of a few. I'm far from a selfish person, but this behavior needs reigned in.

Bones likes this.
  15. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

this has nothing to do with time of day.a bluesbreaker at 2 o'clock on the volume is too freaking loud.

16. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

Imagine being a musician, you wake up kind of late in the mornings, you need a quiet house so you can chill and practice the guitar.... and then you have a neighbour that likes to listen to loud tv early on, or enjoys beat music....

... 2 reasons I really appreciate my neighbours, I almost never hear them. So no amps in the house for me, or if I use one it's really really low. Light and silence is what a house is all about! :)

bender66 likes this.
  17. telemnemonics

I was just trying to make sense of you telling @stratoman1 that what appeared a compliment from his neighbor was really a veiled complaint, based I can only guess on your seeming assumption that people don't like music.
    And similarly I didn't know what to make of your stating that knocking on a neighbors door to let them know you play music and want to avoid bothering them, is going to make them uncomfortable.

I have found the opposite most of the time, but of course there are always those folks who are just cranky and wish the whole world would stay off their collective lawns.
    Figured maybe you lived in an area like that?

18. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Gimme a break. Every city has daytime limits as well. Playing a Bluesbreaker 212 at 2 o'clock in the volume dial is shaking things in the neighbors' apartments. And likely they are at 90+ db in their home. Which is completely unreasonable.

Maybe people didn't read the OP (which I continue to think was either a typo, or just a joke). If OP meant 2 out of 10 on the volume dial, instead of 2 o'clock, then it's at least a discussion. Without putting the amp on an iso pad, with an isopad behind it and careful damping in the room, 2 of 10 on the volume dial is still way to loud for home. But then you can at least have a sane discussion about it.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    telemnemonics likes this.
  19. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

This is the adult solution.

MilwMark likes this.
  20. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

I remember when a couple and their newborn moved into a house on our street in a very active late night area of a college town.

A year of cops being called all the time before they moved.

Duhh.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.