Dealing with Noise Complaining Neighbors

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap Trills, Jan 20, 2020.

How would you handle the knocking on the wall during your practice at 2pm?

1. Keep playing and let them complain to the landlord

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. Stop playing or turn it down to minimum levels

66 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Knock on their door and talk about it

63 vote(s)
    37.3%
  4. Turn up the volume so you can't hear the knocking

16 vote(s)
    9.5%
  5. Other, will post the best solution on the thread

18 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I would turn down. The neighbor might be trying to work from home; he or she might be doing shift work and needs to sleep, or is maybe just a jerk, but listening to somebody practice is really annoying. Same thing over and over: even if you like that thing it's going to get annoying.

I would get a modeling amp and headphones. Modern technology gets you really really close to the sound of the amp, certainly close enough for practice. Or get a good DAW and an amp sim and practice into that--you can have drums going, build backing tracks etc.

Greggorios and Cheap Trills like this.
  2. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

arm wrestle your neighbour.
    loser shuts up.

Cheap Trills likes this.
  3. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Deleted

4. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Deleted

5. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

Get a decibel meter phone app
    Bluesbreaker at 2 o'clock might be louder than you think

Cheap Trills likes this.
  6. Moriarty

Moriarty Tele-Meister

Regarding the "right" to make noise:
    I used to work night shift, which played hell on my sleep schedule. Sometimes on my days off I would end up sleeping at night. I was exhausted all the time.
    I once had a roommate who insisted on playing loud music and singing along on his homemade PA, mostly at night, usually after having a few drinks. Even if I was trying to sleep.
    I asked him nicely to stop. He doubled down. We moved onto arguing about it. He said he had a "right" to listen to music at any volume at any time.
    So I told him that if that's the way he felt about it, I would just crank my stereo or start playing guitar loudly at 8 am when I got home and he was sleeping off the previous night's bender and we'd see how long that lasted before he took issue with it.
    I only had to do it once. Then he stopped.
    Make of that what you will...

telemnemonics and Greggorios like this.
  7. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

"by laws" are for HOAs , aren't they? Our town has noise ordinances and they generally allow you to do you thing between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m. with somewhat more restrictive rules for commercial businesses. Also , again my experience, people tend to let their neighbors slide so that they may be allowed to slide when the need arises.

Gardo, telemnemonics and Cheap Trills like this.
  8. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

The way I would handle it would not be the best way
    If I felt the noise level was reasonable I would ignore them
    If I heard noise from their TV or something I would knock on the wall
    I am a classic over reactor
    The right way would be to knock on the door and talk to them politely

telemnemonics and Cheap Trills like this.
  9. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

I live in an appartment building too.
    I found that tube amps are out of question there.
    But I hate practicing with headphones.

I use a Tech 21 Trademark 10 which still is plenty loud, I have to be carefully adjust the volume, but it sounds good at whispering levels as well, don't need to push it.
    I have a Trademark 60 as well, but even if I adjust them to the same volume level, the 12" speaker in it moves way more air, than the 8" in the TM 10, hence feels way louder.

But I also found, if I can get way louder if I don't use the amp's speaker, but go from its XLR out into my computer's soundcard, and the actuall sound comes through my computer spekers. This way I can crank it up, nobody complains.

I toy the idea of getting rid boht of them and buy a Tech 21 Fly Rig just for this reason alone. They sell them in three different flavours nowdays not counting the acoustic and bass versions, you still have beautiful analogue sound, and you can go nearly nuts.

As for tubes, I couldn't figure out a way to work in a setting like yours, maybe something with built in attenuator.

bgmacaw, Greggorios and Cheap Trills like this.
  10. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Buy yourself 100 watts of pure tube guitar amplification, two 4x12 cabs, plug in, turn everything fully clockwise and rock out.

Don't forget to wear your earplugs, you need to protect your hearing.

Desist only if and when the law shows up. :eek:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Cheap Trills likes this.
  11. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Post some ear plugs through their door. Seriously though, I would knock and ask why first, then once you find out, maybe come to some kind of arrangement. Like noted before, maybe they are a shift worker.

12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Has the “its your house and their problem” crowd ever witnessed a Bluesbreaker past peak volume?

Also, has the OP been back?

13. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

You better bring your PS400 and all three cabinets if you want to be twice as loud as my hot rodded Champ.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll bring my Evolution tweed Deluxe and my old YBA-1 just in case. We'll have cop cars outside from Jersey and Staten Island.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

telemnemonics likes this.
  14. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Always liked that line.:)

15. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thank you for the sanity.:)

16. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Just a reminder, it's a different working world out there now - many of us work from home. So, when my neighbor comes home and cranks his stereo at 2 p.m. then I'm suddenly forced to listen to that at my office. For that reason I don't practice drums at home and turn up the guitar only when no one else is in the house.

imwjl and naveed211 like this.
  17. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Holic

Always best to start a dialog with the neighbor when in your situation. The best time is when you first move in or they first move in so you can nip it in the bud ahead of time, but talking to them now is good, too.

We were loud and obnoxious when I lived with roommates when I was 20. At age 35 now with a kid and partial work at home, I would’ve put a stop to that immediately, and have confronted neighbors in the past. Reasonable volumes with a tube amp is probably still quite loud for an apartment.

Otherwise, headphones until you buy a house with a good amount of space between houses and some sort of soundproofing. Not trying to be a buzzkill, just realistic.

howardlo likes this.
  18. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Meister

I Live about 5 minutes from B.W.I airport..What noise?

telemnemonics likes this.
  19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Load box into an IR cab.

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

In a townhouse you probably have HOA rules due to your neighbor owning your walls, and the fear that comes with buying stuff you don’t fully own then sharing.

But tenant laws have always been along the lines of 10am to 10pm it’s legal to have a party and turn up the music.
    How loud could become an issue but municipalities don’t require dead silence the way an HOA often does.

Look at city apartments like the OP is dealing with and dead silence just won’t happen no matter how quiet the tenants are.
    Buses and trains and sirens all day and all night.
    Again though, OP running his JTM45 at 2:00 on the volume knob (and at 2:00 in the afternoon) is getting into way louder than normal tenant noise from music or the marital fighting that is IMO more offensive than music.

Just as us noisier folks would be smart to choose noisy living, condo and townhouse buyers likely know they are choosing governed quiet living, more governed due to HOA controlling their collective lives to a greater degree than police and municipal law.

Askwhy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.