Dealing with Noise Complaining Neighbors

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap Trills, Jan 20, 2020.

How would you handle the knocking on the wall during your practice at 2pm?

1. Keep playing and let them complain to the landlord

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. Stop playing or turn it down to minimum levels

66 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Knock on their door and talk about it

63 vote(s)
    37.3%
  4. Turn up the volume so you can't hear the knocking

16 vote(s)
    9.5%
  5. Other, will post the best solution on the thread

18 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

Two very simple solutions, headphones or a single family home with homes not closely spaced.

Greggorios and Owenmoney like this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Well yeah I've been on both sides of that wall too.
    I never expected silent neighbors and was not willing to be silent.
    But I could work with other peoples needs.

It's not about the loud music.
    The problem is people who don't care about anyone else and can't bother to communicate.
    When I've been on the pissed off side of the wall I was of course armed with big amps, and dangerous enough to use them.
    Typically I'd wait until the neighbor was up late partying, set my alarm for dawn or so, and play twice as loud knowing they probably have a hangover.
    Talking after softening them up generally works pretty well.

One was a building owner above me though and I knew he had me beat before I tried to go to war, so I just asked him when he was out, and played during those hours, or played unplugged if I had to when he was home.

I've also gone back and forth from my place to theirs with volume adjustments to get a clear idea of how loud they could tolerate in situations where the roommates had different schedules.
    Amazing how much more tolerant neighbors are when reasoned with by asking what they can handle and offering options.

And also how much more tolerant some are after you show them just how truly terrible you could be!

Greggorios and JL_LI like this.
  3. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I play Blues Cubes, Jazz Choruses, a Nextone, some HT-1R heads, and a THR100HD...and I play into headphones as much as anything else, because I live in a townhouse. The neighbors had their college age kids practicing sports (with their blessing) inside their unit while they were away on vacation. It was absurd, and it doesn't matter what time of day it is.

Apartment and townhouse living just doesn't mix with tube amps. It's a bummer, but you can play into headphones or get a rehearsal space. That neighbor can't be expected to vacate their home around your practice times. Most tenant laws acknowledge everyone's right to the "quiet enjoyment" of their homes.

hotpot and GGardner like this.
  4. Northern Tele

Northern Tele Tele-Meister

2pm ..Sorry Charlie tough beans, my place..I'm a guitar player so deal with it.

With the Chuck Norris tough guy statement out of the way, could be the person works shifts or something so if possible ...it sounds outrageous..very unusual in this day and age..could be dangerous...but maybe knock on their door and talk about it and see if something reasonable can be worked out?

Cheap Trills likes this.
  5. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Noisy neighbor: What’s the big deal?

Nosy neighbor: My soap opera is only half over, and I can’t hear some of the best parts!

Cheap Trills likes this.
  6. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

True story:

House across the street comes on the market. One afternoon I notice the proverbial little red sports car pull into the driveway shortly after the selling agent had arrived.

From it pours a 50-60 something male from a tanning bed commercial, and 20 something woman who, it appeared, had painted her pants and top on...the paint being the only thing nature had provided, everything else seemed surgically implanted.

His giggles suggested that this was intended as the secret hideaway!

Up from the basement came my Super Reverb and a 100watt ss amp driving a couple of cabinets. I fed a cable under the door to a bedroom facing the house, opened a window a little, dimed the amps...

and proceeded to play Gloria and Smoke On The Water from the comfort of my living room...out of tune and very very badly of course. As loud as I could.

Only took about ten minutes before they left. The selling agent didn't look too pleased.

Not long after a young family moved in. Nice people. Great little kid. I look after their cat, they my dog. I've never felt the need to serenade them.

Choose your weapons carefully.

7. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I live in a third floor condo, 12 units in the building, 6 per side. Whenever someone new moves in I tell them that I play guitar and if it ever bothers them feel free to knock on the door, I wont bite.

I dont want to hear their noise so I try not to make them listen to mine.

The lady directly under me is just as nice as she can be, every time I ask her if I bother her she says no, keep in mind sometimes I do play late nights, usually in the room with two 40 watt Blackstar tube amp . But they are MV amps and up off the floor. My other room has a 20 watt and 36 watt amps. Again MV and off the floor. So yeah, it can be done. Also, my amps are on outside walls

The only time anyone said anything was the next door neighbor asking if she heard me a few nights before or was it a CD. And once the neighbor a floor down and across from me asking what I was playing the day before

So be nice, it can go a long way

20181229_094253.jpg 20181026_173642.jpg

Greggorios and MilwMark like this.
  8. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Get a sound level meter ap on your phone. Measure a loud restaurant, a Harley, your guitar amp at your favorite level. If you are going much above 80 db, basically you are being disrespectful to your neighbors. You can spin it anyway, but there is no logic. All you can do is talk with the neighbor, show him how loud you like to play, and ask if there are convenient times where you can cause a ruckus without ruining his day. Paul Simon, wrote the song, One mans ceiling is another mans floor. And by all means get yourself a non tone sucking attenuator. And a word to all headphone users, keep it low cause when the ringing appears, it will NEVER go away. Headphones are cripplers.

9. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GreatGRAMMAII--auralex-greatgramma-v2-isolation-riser

Cheap Trills and mjstamos like this.
  10. mjstamos

mjstamos Tele-Holic

11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I know this won't set well with most of you, but no one is obligated to share your views on what's loud. I would say a larger percentage of people don't care for loud noises of any kind. Their home is their last refuge to get away from loud pipes, boom boxes, and 9 million decibel kamikaze motorcycles. When they get home, they have a guy next door making so much racket they can't carry on a conversation in their own home. What are they expected to do, wear ear plugs and wait until you've had enough?

I have a DRRI that sets for a good deal of the time, because for it to sound good, it has to be up loud enough to irritate the neighbors. Even though once in a while they do something to irritate me, I resist intentionally irritating them. I didn't mention my home has six inch insulated walls, and double pane windows. I have my wife go outside and listen and tell me on the phone when she can hear me playing. Usually, I just give up, because I hit the irritation level before I get the amp to sounding like I think it should.

I have a little Super Champ XD I bought specifically to practice on because I can usually find something I can listen to from one of the settings to play. I don't really like it all that much, but it's better than not playing which is what I've mostly done of late. Maybe even try playing more acoustic. It's a dog eat dog world, and just because you like your music doesn't mean anyone else does. I've known people to actually come to blows over this kind of thing, and most of the time, neither guy is right!

12. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

The xd is an excellent amp at low volume, actually, I tested it beta wise when I when I did testing for Fender. I haven't lived in an apt for over 30 years. When I did, I understood I could ruin someones day really quick. But, I was always respectful. Now, I have dual pane vinyl windows, a insulated stucco wrap around my block home. Super insulated. I play as loud as I can handle it, but I have tinnitus. I ask neighbors and they say sometimes they hear something faint, if they are outside. And, I rarely open windows, especially when it is summer.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

Small amp, headphones or attenuators, no point upsetting people or making the situation worse, and have a talk maybe they work nights and sleep days, could be many reasons

14. stonetone7

stonetone7 Tele-Meister

That amp at 2 o’clock is extremely, stupidly loud for an apartment building at any hour. Consider that you might be the offending party.

Talk to them. I’d lead off with an apology, and expect that an accommodation for playing that loud will be impossible to find. I’d start by getting an actual practice amp with a headphone out.

15. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

Your neighbor also pays rent, just like you do. It may seem that 2:00 p.m. is early enough to be making noise, but at the same time, your neighbor is within his rights to not be subjected to noises he may not enjoy, especially if it happens often. It would be like if you are trying to record, and suddenly the neighbors crank up the volume on their television, and do it loud enough to ruin your recording. I would find a way to come to a mutual agreement with your neighbor if you can. He is after all, entitled to be at peace in his own home, and not have to listen to your playing when you can practice using headphones. The 2:00 p.m. time is not a factor in what your neighbor must think is annoying noise. Sort of like screaming kids in a restaurant, or on an airplane, not the best example, but not many people enjoy that either...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  16. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

As an ex New Yorker my suggestion would have to be: Get out of Brooklyn and buy or rent a house.

MilwMark and Cheap Trills like this.
  17. chet again

chet again Friend of Leo's

I had an upstairs neighbor who used to shut the power off in my apartment. :rolleyes: I don't know how he/they did it cause they were just renters like myself.

After getting tired of them I finally just went over to the power box and shut his power off. He didn't know how to turn it back on and told the landlord. LOL!

Now I don't have to worry about that kind of thing because I own my own house and it's a small rural town.

Cheap Trills likes this.
  18. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I have been on both sides...

Some techno lover stupid making big parties late at night... went talked to him. Marijuana smelling place... Told him next time cops will come... but he was polite and we shared a bud of our harvest. From time to time he called me and told me there was going to be a party and that I could show up if I wanted. No problem any more... never went nevertheless

Some day crazy new neighbour come to my house 17:00... I can't stand the noise... is not noise, is music, is me playing. He told me next time I will call the cops. OK do it. Then cops come and I was still playing. Telecaster plugged in my THR10. They come, they listened and tested before knocking and told me that there were complaints but the sound level was really lower than law limits, even talking was louder!!!! The next day I went to talk to the neighbour and handle him the City sound levels law that let me play music (keep a determinated sound level activity) until 22:00. One year later he left the building and I did a sound-proof wall (like a rehearsal room) with that apartment. Never had any more issues

I mean... sometimes people's skin is too thin and sometimes you think people are assholes and you became quite friends... Talking is the clue

19. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Some older people nap at that time. The Big Apple is very culturally diverse.

telemnemonics likes this.
  20. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

I had the same problems will close neighbours & family over noise issues, I thought what is the point of owning amps if I have to play them lower than TV volumes, I didn't jam out or play in a band so they had to go.
    I use software & play through the computers sound system or use headphones now.

If I lived somewhere where I didn't disturb people then I guess I'd get an amp again.

maxvintage likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.