Dealing with Noise Complaining Neighbors

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap Trills, Jan 20, 2020.

How would you handle the knocking on the wall during your practice at 2pm?

1. Keep playing and let them complain to the landlord

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. Stop playing or turn it down to minimum levels

66 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Knock on their door and talk about it

63 vote(s)
    37.3%
  4. Turn up the volume so you can't hear the knocking

16 vote(s)
    9.5%
  5. Other, will post the best solution on the thread

18 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Headphones, play unplugged or thru a different amp. You can probably find an inexpensive used bedroom modeling amp that does BB stuff.

I've found myself on both sides of this issue. But now that I'm old and seen my share of crap, I say give the guy a break. Who knows what hell he's struggling with. Let him come home and find some peace/calm in his apartment as he decompresses and gears up to face another day of [garbage].

Don't be the guy at GC who, although he has chops, plays so loudly and non-stop that it's annoying.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Greggorios likes this.
  2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

rolandson likes this.
  3. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Holic

Try one of these with some decent headphones...they sound pretty good...Vox Amplug!
    [​IMG]

Gaz_, Greggorios and rolandson like this.
  4. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

Didn't read all the posts, but 2 things come to mind.

Complain to the landlord that they are pounding on the walls.

Find the area where they knock, wait for the knock, punch through the wall, grab them and pull them through.

Cheap Trills and Bones like this.
  5. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

If they keep banging on the wall, maybe they'll damage it and get evicted.

6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Move the amp to the other side of the room and point it so it isn't facing the wall adjoining that neighbor's apartment, or the neighbor on the other side, and turn it down. You're playing that amp at club volume in an apartment, and that's not cool.

StrangerNY likes this.
  7. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Go there and see what you got. Is it because it’s 2 pm? Would there be a time of day when you don’t disturb them even playing at good volume? There’s always time to let deteriorate things, but maybe that’s not necessary :p

8. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

Learn this song and play it on your guitar whenever they knock:

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

Bones likes this.
  10. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

You'd better hope you don't develop tinnitus with that attitude! Ask Pete Townshend, Neil Young, Eric Clapton, Ozzy, and Jeff Beck about what it's like.

slickoneuk likes this.
  11. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Tele-Meister

Nail a dead rat to the door with a note that says "Snitches get stitches"

See what happens

Mouth likes this.
  12. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Just the limitations of apartment life. Even though it was at 2 pm, that doesn't mean the neighbor is at work. In fact, he might be a nightshift worker and you just ruined his sleep or maybe he is listening to his favorite music and you just crashed it?

It seems clear to me that you know very little if anything about your neighbor (a common issue today) and that is a big part of it. If you knew each other, you would know what time of day you can practice without issue and the neighbor would understand your need to play. Introducing yourself and talking it over is the only way you will get a solution....you will never be able to play quiet enough otherwise.

It has been many years since I lived in an apartment, but I once had a neighbor who played trumpet as part of a blues band. His band would practice in his apartment once per week and he practiced every day so you can imagine the problems. I worked swing shifts back then so also added to the issue. Well, one day I left a note on his door asking to speak with him about the noise at his convenience. I am sure he expected me to host a ***** session over it, but that wasn't the case. We just sat down over a beer and went over our schedules to find times when he was able to practice at any volume he wanted and times when he needed to keep it lower or not at all. It really worked out great for both of us from that day forward.

13. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is made up.

There is no venue I know of where I could play a 212 Bluesbreaker with the volume 3/4 of the way up. It is no longer getting louder at that point. It peaked in volume.

No where. No outdoor festival. Nowhere. That’s why they invented master volumes. Because no one in actual clubs wanted that much shear volume.

I assume this is made up, but if not, get a clue.

You are producing 120 dB easy. Maybe 130. If you need that volume to practice the blues, rent a rehearsal space like @muchxs said. But be prepared. If you crank your amp like that, the other bands will beat the **** out of you when you leave.

Gimme a break.

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Now does your apartment building stop you from boiling octopus?

24 track, Cheap Trills and imwjl like this.
  15. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Holic

time to move.once they start complaining it never stops, if you fart they can hear it now..they are listening to hard for you so they can complain...i had complaints about the clickin noise my keyboard made. i was using headphones but me bangin on the keys was bothersome. gtfoh. i used to just put on my comboy boots on and march across the wood floor when they complain. heh complained about that to but what how you gonna stop me from beating your ceiling with my cowboy boots. i was lucky and they understood and they moved :)

16. assquatch20

assquatch20 TDPRI Member

I feel like you're pulling our leg as well. 2 o'clock is a ridiculous volume for that amp these days in most places. I use to have a neighbor that would sing and play through a PA in his apartment sometimes, but that was Nashville in 2008. Even so, that guy cut it out when he realized neighbors were home.

If someone is legitimately in this silly situation though, they need something with a master volume, attenuation, less wattage, or solid state. Lots of ways to do it. I use an HT-5 with the emulated out into a 2.1 PC speaker set, just leaving the amp in standby. You have a stereo auxiliary input and the emulated out has some stereo reverb. It's a bit convoluted but you can also run stereo fx this way. It's alright with headphones but the PC speakers are quiet enough, and the tone is still inspiring. There's also pedals with cab sims and such nowadays that sound good in headphones.

When you actually have the place to yourself (figure out when that is) you can run through a proper guitar speaker and crank it up a bit. Even then I doubt you'll need all the volume that's on tap.

MilwMark likes this.
  17. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

This:)

18. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic

I don't know where you live, but in most areas this is false. Look up "by-laws" in the dictionary.

19. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Back in the good old days, we would take the PA mains and put them up agianst the wall.
    Next, put on Deep Purples Highway Star as loud as possible.

20. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Go talk to your neighbour and sort things out. If he can hear it in his apartment then you are too loud and he has a valid grievance.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.